What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (3 Viewers)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
This might be the best year I've had predicting the he Oscar winners. I got 21 of 24 correct. I was stoked at the end of the evening feeling like I might get 23 of 24, but then...

I didn't consider Ho for Best Director as it's almost a given the DGA winner will win the Oscar and I didn't consider Parasite for Best film as no foreign language film has ever won best picture...since Roma didn't do it...

So I got 21 of 24. I'd still rather have had 1917 win the ones I missed.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, I had only seen 4 of the 9 Best Picture nominees beforehand, and Parasite was my least favorite. It was a fine thriller, but in my humble opinion, it had no business being nominated, let alone actually winning! However, from a political standpoint I can understand why Hollywood would choose to honor it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This might be the best year I've had predicting the he Oscar winners. I got 21 of 24 correct. I was stoked at the end of the evening feeling like I might get 23 of 24, but then...

I didn't consider Ho for Best Director as it's almost a given the DGA winner will win the Oscar and I didn't consider Parasite for Best film as no foreign language film has ever won best picture...since Roma didn't do it...

Great job Martin!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
However, from a political standpoint I can understand why Hollywood would choose to honor it.
Seriously? C’mon. :rolleyes:

Ya know, maybe they just loved Parasite and wanted to honor it. As simple as that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"Toy Story 4" was a given. The film could have been complete shit and it would have won. Although, after watching it last night on D+, I would say that it was deserved. It had a solid story and they made a good choice to make Bo Peep a strong female lead. I regret skipping it in its theatrical release because I was thinking it might be nothing but a money grab. It is pretty hard to make four compelling, high quality, films in the same series. At least one ends up being below par. TS has managed to dodge that bullet, so far.
There's other series that I'm a bigger fan of but I think Toy Story is the most consistently great set of movies ever made. It's amazing that there's never been one that's just OK or obviously weaker than the others.

As sad as I am that 1917 lost Picture and Director I can’t be too upset that Parasite won. It is an excellent film and certainly worthy of its wins. Wow.
Yeah, I can't be mad that Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood didn't win when an excellent movie won instead.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It still didn't deserve to win that category. Visually it looked like any other war movie. There is nothing visually outstanding in it. Giving a film a VFX award for successfully making it look mundane and typical of any other war film. Outstanding. :rolleyes:
Since the advent of CGI, this award has rarely gone to a pew pew pew movie. They award it to more serious movies, movies that have a Best Picture nom or movies where the CGI is used to make things look realistic rather than fantastic.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, I can't be mad that Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood didn't win when an excellent movie won instead.
Parasite was a good movie, I enjoyed it, but I think it's a bit overhyped. It's not as clever as it thinks it is and the climax was too over the top. I have a feeling years from now this will be a 'Shakespeare in Love' type situation where people will look back and say, "How in the world did that movie beat out [Insert pretty much any other nominee]?"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is this the first time that two actors have won an Oscar for playing different versions of the same character? It seems like it might be.

The only other situation I can think of would be if someone won for a remake where the original actor also won for the same role. But that would be them playing the same arc.

Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix are both playing the Joker, but they're in different situations and stories and don't have the same arc.

There will never be agreement on this topic, but I contend the Batman foe Joker and the Fleck Joker aren't the same person.

They both use the name "Joker" but I don't think Fleck becomes the guy who torments Batman.

So I don't think they're actually the same character!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since the advent of CGI, this award has rarely gone to a pew pew pew movie. They award it to more serious movies, movies that have a Best Picture nom or movies where the CGI is used to m.ake things look realistic rather than fantastic.

Which is exactly what is wrong with the bloody Oscars. It is "Best Visual Effects" not "Best Visual Effects in the Service of Making Something Look Realistic". The same goes for "Best Picture". It should be "Best Picture" not "Best Picture because it is live Action and an Actor's Film".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
8. A Star is Born is one of those movies destined for Oscars. The original 1937 version earned Janet Gaynor a nomination and the 1954 remake starring Judy Garland got her one as well. Barbra Streisand didn't get a nomination when she played the role of the young ingénue in the 1974 remake, but that may have not counted for this list anyway "“ whereas the first two movies had the lead actresses portraying thespian Vicki Lester, Streisand played a singer named Esther Hoffman. And while Babs didn't get an Oscar nom for lead actress, she did win an Academy Award for Best Original Song for this movie.

I think you forgot an Oscar-nominated "Star Is Born" lead actress in there! <_<

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Interesting (?) question: would "Roma" have won last year without the Netflix controversy?

That debate about what qualifies as a theatrical movie might've been just enough to keep it from Best Picture...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's other series that I'm a bigger fan of but I think Toy Story is the most consistently great set of movies ever made. It's amazing that there's never been one that's just OK or obviously weaker than the others.

"4" is obviously weaker than the others, IMO. Good movie but more of a "B" whereas the 1st 3 were all "A"s.

And in terms of consistently great franchises, you forgot about the "Police Academy" series??? :laugh:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Parasite was a good movie, I enjoyed it, but I think it's a bit overhyped. It's not as clever as it thinks it is and the climax was too over the top. I have a feeling years from now this will be a 'Shakespeare in Love' type situation where people will look back and say, "How in the world did that movie beat out [Insert pretty much any other nominee]?"

Also known as "'Green Book' won? Seriously?" Syndrome! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What a disgrace by the director of the Oscars. He lets the actors go on and on forever but tries to cut this historical moment short. Jerk should be fired right now, kick him out of the the control room!

It's always bugged me that they'll let the celebs prattle on for hours but Best Editor gets like 3 seconds before they start to play the music!

Maybe they could drop 2 or 3 pointless montages and allow a little more time for people to speak?

This is a life highlight for these people - let them enjoy it!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the ceremony was good, although it's amazing that even without big production numbers and other time-wasting moments, the show was still 3 1/2 hours. They really only had the opening number, which was fun, the five nominated songs, the Eminem number (why was this here?), and the In Memoriam segment. I also enjoyed the opening monologue by Steve Martin and Chris Rock, which was something they didn't do last year.

I see comments on social media criticizing the Oscars, saying they want the public to watch, but yet don't reward the most popular films that most people have seen. There is some validity to that, although that's never really been what the Oscars are.

And anyway, ratings were up slightly this year.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If someone already answered this upthread, sorry I missed it.

By my memory, 8 of the 9 BP noms won at least 1 award, with "Irishman" the only exception.

Is that right?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"4" is obviously weaker than the others, IMO. Good movie but more of a "B" whereas the 1st 3 were all "A"s.
I think the first and fourth TS movies are on par with each other and the second is better than those two and the third is the best of the lot. That being said, they're all top notch in my book.

Also known as "'Green Book' won? Seriously?" Syndrome! :D
Speaking of Green Book, it's wild to think that a movie like Green Book won last year and a year later, a movie like Parasite won.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think the first and fourth TS movies are on par with each other and the second is better than those two and the third is the best of the lot. That being said, they're all top notch in my book.

I'd put 2 tops, then 1, then 3, then 4 below - waaay below.

Like I said, it's enjoyable, but it feels much more like "product" to me than the 1st 3:

http://dvdmg.com/toystory4.shtml

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Parasite imo will absolutely stand the test of time.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Speaking of Green Book, it's wild to think that a movie like Green Book won last year and a year later, a movie like Parasite won.
As Colin brought up, Roma was hampered by general Academy ill will towards Netflix. Had Roma been released by Warner Brothers, the last three BP are likely Moonlight, Roma, and Parasite.

I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Parasite imo will absolutely stand the test of time.
The fact that practically every critic was openly rooting for Parasite to win and there is zero critical backlash to its win says a lot about its endurance. Whenever a Crash or Shakespeare or Green Book wins, there are a lot of "It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham" think pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks