What's new

*** Official 2009 Warner Chat and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also what ever happened to the Peter Lorre sets and everything else announced at last year's chat (I think it was) -- I was hoping that someone would get the skinny on these, as well as more Robert Taylor and westerns.

Why would anyone bother wasting questions on mainstream blockbuster releases that are obviously coming out sooner than later in likely twelve different editions... ah well.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little upset that the titles I was most interested in were given vague or disappointing answers, ie: The Devils, Barry Lyndon & Lolita. I am really losing any hope about seeing The Devils on DVD:frowning:

Happy to see that there will be another Noir set, although disappointed that none of the titles posed by the questioner will be included, as they are all great Noirs.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I wonder if they will be releasing any new war movies on dvd? Breakthrough, force of arms, desperate journey, Dark of the sun, the lighthorsemen, and p.t. 109 would be nice.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Also, since Fox seem to have aborted their classic collections ( I bought so many last year), the money I was paying for their films, I will now transfer to Warner
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
It was an interesting chat but I found it full of disappointments..... it sounds like Ginger Rogers will never have a box set which is a shame because I think it would sell pretty well. It also sounds like we will never see the original ending of Little Shop of Horrors on DVD or Blu-ray at least for a while.

Poor Jean Harlow.... still no box set:frowning:

The only parts I got excited about were Esther Williams Vol. 2, more Judy Garland movies, and they still plan to release a Show Boat set!

I was really sick of the blu-ray questions as well and most of the movies seemed well represented on DVD and blu-ray.... oh well it was still an interesting chat!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know Amazon.ca has those boxsets available to Canadians and the studio listed is Warner so I assume they do then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
[sigh] They're still working on the SHOW BOAT collection. Guess I'll have to keep that laserdisc box set and the Criterion laserdisc of the 1936 version at the ready for awhile longer.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Was anybody else surprised to read that Gone With the Wind and Oz were being remastered for SD? Frankly, I just expected a repackaging there so I thought that was interesting.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Good

The fifth film noir set is good news, hopefully it includes Anthony Mann's Desperate, The Window, The Mask of Dimitrios, Rogue Cop, The Threat, The Verdict and the Lawrence Tierney cult classic The Devil Thumbs a Ride among others.

Great to read Heat, Contact and Exorcist (keeping fingers crossed for the proper version) confirmed for BD this year and plans for Josey Wales and Where Eagles Dare next year. Maltese Falcon in 2011 is too far away to get excited.

The Bad

Their Halloween plans are a bit disappointing Frankenstein 1970 doesn't do much for me. Plus they have enough classic titles (Beast With 5 Fingers, Svengali, Walking Dead, Kongo, West of Zanzibar, The Mad Genius) to make for a very nice Legends of Horror Volume #2 set. Doesn't sound like they're going that route. I'm not excited if these are relegated to the overpriced Archives program, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

No plans for Hammer films on BD gets a :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I can only hope for UK BD releases now. :frowning:

No Barry Lyndon and Lolita on BD gets another :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I can't believe nobody asked about Dark of the Sun or The Sea Wolf!

and just not enough questions for possible BD catalog titles for my liking. So many that could've been touched on......

The Ugly

Sad to read that lowering the Warner Archive pricing won't be considered. It'll definitely limit my purchases quite a bit

A non-answer on alternate disc only minus the junk releases of the high priced of GWTW and Wizard of Oz BRD boxed sets. I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed again later this year when they go this route with the original King Kong. :frowning:

MikeIMH

Grip
I was very disappointed by the Warner Chat this year and imho the fault lies with us, not with Warner Bros.

Warners was prepared and in their opening statements addressed and defused concerns about the worldwide availability and the quality of their Archive products.

Little else of significance was learned during the rest of the discussion, and it seems to be the fault lies squarely on our shoulders. We failed to ask probing, intuitive, and discerning questions.

In reading the "un-edited" transcript, you can sense the frustration in the Warner replies to many of the questions concerning Blu-Ray releases, or the further release of currently available product.

The purpose of the annual chat, I thought, was to get a heads-up concerning Warner's plans to release new DVD product in the near future.

I was hoping to gain some insight from the talk about issues like the following:

1) was the Western Collection successful and does WB have plans to release a Volume 2? And when?

2) Are there any plans to release further Collections of the films of Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster? And when...

3) Is there going to be a second edition of the Leading Ladies Collection? is there going to be a Volume 2 Collection of Literary Classics?

4) Could we have an update with respect to the restoration of Raintree County. Does WB have any plans to release a box set of the remaining films of Elizabeth Taylor?

5) One of the most enjoyable of the WB box sets was their World War 2 Collection. Any plans for a Volume 3?

6) Has WB considered putting out a Volume 3 of the Controversial Classics Collection? With the success of Milk, perhaps Volume 3 could include movies like Tea and Sympathy, The Sergeant, and other movies which contain a homosexual theme.

7) WB recently released a number of Paul Newman movies individually. None of the titles were strong enough to entice me to purchase them individually, but had they been released in a new Box Collection, it would have been a no brainer purchase. Any plans on releasing a new Paul Newman collection which would include the rest of his Warner Catalogue titles?

8) Does WB have plans to release a Collection of films for Mother's day? For Father's Day?

I am certain that my associates on this forum can come up with many more questions of interest that would have made this discussion more illuminating.

Perhaps we should consider changing the format of the chat. Perhaps questions could be submitted to a Forum of elected members prior to the Chat. The Forum could then group the questions into categories (which would help to keep the Chat focussed) and then the Forum could make a final selection of those questions most representative of the HTF membership.

I can not help but feel that, last night, a great opportunity was lost.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
-Great news re: Heat, Contact, The Goonies, Gremlins, and Hamlet all coming to Blu-Ray between this year and next

-I wish they had more definitive plans re: releasing Casablanca and other boxset titles, sans tchotchkes...

-Bummer re: Barry Lyndon and Lolita

-I wanted to ask a technical question re: Superman IV - what the hell was that bleep-bloop score that played during the deleted scenes?... and since Film Score Monthly released the complete Superman soundtracks (including the unearthed complete score for this film), would it be possible to include the deleted scenes on Blu-Ray featuring the original music? http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/deta...an--The-Music/

-I wanted to ask about a Blu-Ray remaster of The Fugitive but I didn't get in

-I also wanted to ask if they had plans to revisit Executive Decision (one of the first DVDs released and my big guilty pleasure
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)... this one might fall into the "we will be releasing widescreen double features later this year of some early favorites" category

-I guess Spies Like Us (in widescreen) is finally coming one of these days!

-And I can't wait to see what they have in store for Ambersons!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I looked at it as a positive answer. At least they didn't say they had no plans, they said they hoped to have the issue cleared up.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

As for THE SEA WOLF, they did address John Garfield films, which they said are coming via Warner Archives this summer. There was no direct question about an Edward G. Robinson box set, but THE SEA WOLF would clearly fit there, if they chose to go that route.

I have a feeling that THE SEA WOLF will be included in the Garfield titles this summer. Still bummed that there won't be a Garfield Signature Collection box set. :frowning: It's going to be a lot more expensive to collect all of those titles. As John Hodson said, the days of bagging a bunch of titles in one set, for a very reasonable price, may be gone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some people are complaining about not getting a chance to ask a question, but neither did I get a chance. My question as in prior chats would've been about the Garfield boxset, but at least we know some of his titles are coming out via Warner Archive. So are some of Robinson's titles and IMO, there is no way that "The Sea Wolf" won't be one of them.

Crawdaddy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Add my voice to the chorus to those frustrated by those asking about films that have been done to death already instead of films never on DVD. My favorite moment in the conversation was the bizarre question if Warners planned to revisit Superman and Superman II and the hilariously terse response, "Been there, done that!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks