What's new

Official 2009 Oscar Discussion (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He has stated that he's done arguing, yet you're making another post aimed at him and then editing it to be more personal towards him than is necessary. Time for all of you to let this go and move on.

Crawdaddy

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I debated not posting at all, and I've been on this board for many years without incident.

But when you're going to bring things like someone's family into it and basically insult the individual by implying anyone who died could win and then bail out -- y'know, I think you deserve to be called out for that.

That's just me though. The "post" button doesn't give you free reign to shoot your mouth off. Generally I expect a higher quality of posting here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't agree nor did I like some of that member's comments stated in this thread. However with that being said, that still doesn't give you or anybody else the right to insult another HTF member on this board and our rules are explicit in that regard.

Crawdaddy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Having seen WENDY AND LUCY this weekend I must say Michelle Williams was robbed when it comes to the Best Actress nominations. I still don't think this film has played more than 75-100 theaters, which is a real shame as the film and performance deserves more attention than it's getting.

homevideo45

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amily Green
Wow Slumdog Millionar got quite a few.

The 2009 Oscar Winners

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn, Milk
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet, The Reader
Best Directing: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Foreign Language Film: Departures (Japan)
Best Original Score: Slumdog Millionaire, A.R. Rahman
Best Original Song: ''Jai Ho,'' Slumdog Millionaire
Best Editing: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Sound Editing: The Dark Knight
Best Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Documentary Short: Smile Pinki
Best Documentary Feature: Man on Wire
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Live Action Short: Spielzeugland (Toyland)
Best Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Costume Design: The Duchess
Best Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Animated Short: La Maison en Petits Cubes
Best Animated Feature: WALL-E
Best Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire, Simon Beaufoy
Best Original Screenplay: Milk, Dustin Lance Black

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't like it, only because they'll be stretching to find 10 nominees. No doubt the studios wanted it...more AA noms for pull-quotes and marketing, right?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Back in the "Golden Age," they used to nominate 10 films. I don't recall why they cut it down to 5.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
All for it.

Sometimes there are more than 5 films worthy of BP nods and now there will be room for them. :emoji_thumbsup:

Another option would be to nominate UP TO ten films, if there are 6 worthy films, nominate those 6, if there are 8, nominated those 8 and so on.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
If they do this they should go the whole hog and have ten nominations for the other categories too. :P

I think they're doing this because in recent years the 5 Best Picture nominees have mostly, with notable exceptions, consisted of well acted dramas that the general film going public would normally run a mile from let alone buy the dvd of. (Hey it is possible to end a sentence with 'of') And with 10 nominations they're hoping blockbusters like Star Trek, Harry Potter or Avatar might make the grade and boost Oscar ratings, get younger people to watch the Oscars, by young I mean people under 50. ;)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
What's gonna happen is the Golden Globes will become obsolete, because those same films that get nominated for the Globe will get nominated for the Oscar - you know, the musicals and comedies.

the Globes break it down, however - Best Picture (musical/comedy) vs Best Picture (drama). Now it seems like the Oscars will combine it up.

Actors like Jim Carrey and Richard Gere are keeping their fingers crossed about letting 10 Actors getting nominated, as they were big Globe winners in the recent past.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't see the big deal with this.
Doesn't it just simply open up the list to see who the top 10 noms are?

there always was a top ten we just never knew who they were after the top 5.

This doesn't mean that the number 8 on the list has a chance to win any more the they did before.

The only change is now we see the rest of the list, up to 10.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Right, but when voting between the nominations you now have 5 more films to choose from. It may be that an Academy member who voted to nominate a film that didn't make the Top Ten will vote to award a film that got 6-10 placement in the nomination vote totals.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Brandon's right, instead of picking just 5 films for the voters to vote on, they now have 10. I think this is a good thing. The Dark Knight with 8 nominations would have almost certainly appeared in a top 10 list. Not that it would have got far though, many voters might be a little embarrassed about voting for a comic book movie no matter how well made or successful it was. But it would have been nice to see that and Iron Man on the list.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I wish I could adequately express how much and how deeply that statement pisses me off. That's why my faith in the Oscars has waned greatly over the last few years.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Not just comic-book movies John, my favourite genre, science fiction, has been pissed on by the academy for decades. 2001 A Space Odyssey wasn't even nominated for best picture in 1968. Star Wars lost to a Woody Allen film for chrissakes. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok i see,

as far as I knew the voters just voted for the movies they thought should be
the winner, then the top 5 would be the noms.

I have know idea why I thought that, I should have known better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks