What's new

*** Official "2003 Box Office Prediction and Discussion" Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think New Line would be happy if ROTK got to $350 million. I think it'll be around $330 million or less. The running time is what kills the potential for more BO gross.

StevenA

Second Unit
Box Office Guru is reporting that ROTK made $8 million on Tuesday night.

I'm not really an expert in BO numbers, but I presume that's good?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Titanic's 3hr 17m running time didn't seem to hurt it's boxoffice so I believe ROTK can easily make over $400 million with its similar running time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's about double the amount from midnight screenings of TTT last year. So I think New Line is happy. :)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
No doubt ROTK's first 5 day gross will be huge. The sense of immediacy appears to be stronger this time around than it is for the second one. I predict $130M thru Sunday.
For its entire haul, north of $375M, after it Best Picture Oscar win is certainly attainable. :)
~Edwin

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
That $8 million figure (not including trilogy tuesday!) is a new midnight record, beating the $4 million from Two Towers and crushing the $5 million from Reloaded's 10pm-12:00 am Wednesday showings.

Looks like The Phantom Menace's $28.5 record is going down hard.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I dont think the Mona Lisa smile counterprogramming will work. They are hoping women will rather see a Julia Roberts movie than LOTR but I think LOTR will not skew male that much and will be more evenly balanced. The only business it will get will be spilloff from LOTR and of that only women. A better counterprogramming choice I think would have been to open Cold Mountain as that would play to older audiences of both men and women who perhaps did not feel like waiting on line to see ROTK.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I think Mona Lisa Smile will do fine. The romantic comedy Two Weeks opened as counterprogramming last year and did excellent business.

Although, as was pointed out, its not really counter-programming. LOTR reaches every demographic and there was probably a 50/50 men-women split in my theater last night. Mona Lisa will do well for people who have already seen ROTK, can't get tickets due to sellouts, and those who are waiting either till crowds die down or for the Christmas holidays to see it with friends and family.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

SPeaking just for myself, I saw FOTR in the theater and wasn't that thrilled with it, so I skipped TTT... until the TTT:EE opened theatrically and I decided to give it a chance last week. MAN, TTT:EE was so much better than FOTR (theatrical version) that I am now definitely seeing ROTK in the theater (though not until around Christmas).

I think ROTK will be enormous, one of the first serious "Titanic" contenders.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
It's official, 'The Return of the King' now boasts the best Wednesday gross in history. The movie earned $34.1 million yesterday, besting the 4 year old record held by 'The Phantom Menace' which took in $28.5 million during it's Wednesday debut.

The $34.1 million mark also becomes the biggest single day gross ever for the month of December, besting the $26.1 million mark set by 'The Two Towers' last year. At this rate, 'Return of the King' could pass the $100 million mark on Saturday, it's fourth day of release.

'Return of the King' is currently playing in 3,703 theaters (on 7,205 screens). This ranks as the second widest release in history after last summer's "X2: X-Men United" which debuted in 3,741 theaters. In comparison, 'The Phantom Menace' debuted in 2,970 theaters. TPM's per-theater average of $9,610K is still tops for a Wednesday wide release, as it's a touch better than the $9,216K 'Return of the King' earned yesterday.

As expected, the third film of the lucrative 'Lord of the Rings' series is well on it's way to becoming the biggest hit of the franchise.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Quite impressive, considering the 3.5 hour playing time. I loved this film and hope that it pulls in big b.o., hopefully to spur production of The Hobbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks