Official 1st Annual HTF December Holiday Movie Challenge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Nov 30, 2002.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    To begin with,
    if this isn't the 1st official one, please excuse the mistake and can a mod please make the correction.
    Well, it's holiday time once again.
    So, rightfully so, we should have a Holiday challenge.
    We will begin the challenge, tonight(Dec 1st) at midnight and have it go through midnight of Jan 1st(or actually considered Jan 2nd)
    There will be two challenge catagories
    1)The 12 Days of Christmas Challenge- you must watch at least 12 holiday films in the allowed time.
    At least 4 should be brand new to you.
    2)Black Christmas Challenge- you must watch at least 25 holiday films in the allowed time.
    At least 8-10 should be brand new to you.
    Here are the Santa Clauses....
    1)Any Christmas or New Year's Eve film
    2)The movie must at least have to be centered around or have a majority to do with Christmas or New Year's Eve
    3)I will even allow Holiday specials i.e. South Park, Charlie Brown, The Grinch(since Holiday movies are kinda of limited)
    Here are some movies to help you out
    IN THEATERS NOW
    Santa Clause 2
    A.S. 8 Crazy Nights
    Friday After Next
    ON DVD
    It's a Wonderful Life[​IMG]
    Black Christmas
    White Christmas
    Santa Claus: The Movie
    Christmas Story
    Christmas Vacation
    Mickey's Once upon a Christmas
    Scrooged
    Mixed Nuts
    200 Cigarettes
    Strange Days
    Santa Clause
    Look Who's Talking Now
    Reindeer Games
    Die Hard 1 & 2
    Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Stuff NOT on DVD
    any of the Silent Night, Deadly Nights films
    The Ref(but announced for mid March)
    BONUS POINTS
    To those who want to set up their film lists as "nice" & "naughty" film lists[​IMG]

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If you want this thread to be an Official Thread then you have to include "It's A Wonderful Life" on your dvd listing, otherwise, I'll be forced to pull the Official designation.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddu

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Robert,
    Well noted.
    I have made the correction.
    and for the first time ever I will be watching "It's a Wonderful Life"

ALSO- isn't there 2 diff DVD's of this movie Robert?? Which is the better transfer?

4. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

"For the first time ever"?!?
    JohnS - what rock have you been living under? [​IMG]
    IAWL was a staple on TV for YEARS at Christmastime, because it was a "freebie" for stations.
    You did the right thing, Crawdaddy. Gotta have IAWL, or it couldn't be a legit Christmas movie challenge. [​IMG]

5. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess it's time to open the shrink-wrap on that green grinch-dvd [​IMG]

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Okay,
    I've seen my first two today.
    These two will go under the "nice" list
    Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas new
    - a nice Disney Christmas movie.
    My favorite part would be the Goofy segment.
    Mixed Nuts- Most people didn't find this movie too amusing, but I did.
    Maybe not laugh out loud funny, but still has some here and there laughs.
    Steve Martin is good like always, but I think Rita Wilson's character tends to over react in a few scenes.
    Count=4 Goal=25
    (x's)- means the number of times I saw it throughout the challenge
    NICE LIST
    Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas new ***
    Mixed Nuts ***
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (2x's) ****
    Scrooged new***

8. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    John,

You list "Die Hard 2", but what about the original "Die Hard"? That was set around Christmas as well...

Just wondering.

-Christian

9. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Christian,

Sorry, I was just throwing titles out.
    I had actually made this thread out, the minute before I had to leave for work.
    I'll add it to the list.

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

What a way to start out the challenge...
    Sunday afternoon I saw It's A Wonderful Life on the big screen.
    The Tampa Theatre is doing a limited "Holiday Movie Classics" series, with one movie a week for the next month. Next week: a brand new print of A Christmas Story!!

11. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

12. Rich Tysinger

My first movie for the challenge is A Christmas Story (1983). It comes on TV a gazillion times over the holidays, and one cable station even runs a 24-hour marathon of it. Every Christmas season I swear I'll never watch it again, as it's etched much too strongly in my memory for me to ever possibly enjoy it anymore. So what do I do when it comes on yet again the other night? Why, I sit down and watch the whole movie! [​IMG]
    It's a holiday classic afterall, and as much as I wish I could adopt a cynical Scrooge-like demeanor and be done with Christmas, this movie won't let me! It hits on that one aspect of the holidays that even the most grizzled adults cannot forget: their fondest childhood Christmas memory. A lot of us are fortunate to have had that one special Christmas as a child where we got the one gift we most wished for (for me it was when I was 5 years old in the late 70's and I received the Star Wars Death Star Playset). The beauty of this movie is that you don't have to be a child of the late 30's like young Ralphie to appreciate the story, it brings forth our fondest Christmas memories no matter what decade we were born in.
    As adults, we encounter so much B.S. over the holidays that we often wish we could recreate the experiences of our very best childhood Christmas. Thankfully, A Christmas Story allows us to do just that.
    P.S. Does anyone else here in their late 20's/early 30's refer to actor Peter Billingsley as "Messy Marvin" (in reference to the Hershey's Syrup commercials he did)? I called him that for years, until I finally bothered to note his name in the movie's credits! [​IMG]

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Had the pleasure of watching one of my usual Christmas movies
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    I don't have to explain this one, just good old Christmas fun.

14. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Well, looks like this challenge is a failure[​IMG]
    but I watched something, that I'm really not adding to the list(since it lasted only 7mins)
    but the Mickey B&W cartoon Mickey's Orphans

15. Ruth_F

Ruth_F Stunt Coordinator

I missed the original post so I'll take you up on the challenge --- but since i love holiday movies, I'm already easily on pace to meet the goal. Now, I just need to gather up a list of holiday films, so i can figure out what news one I'll see. but then again I've never seen more than snipets of christmas story and scrooged, so it won't be too hard for me. oh and i've never seen the night before christmas.

So far this year I've seen:

1. Santa Clause 2 - cute but not great, when he finds "mrs" clause and she begins to soften up, the movie heads to the south pole.

2. Friday After Next --- the pimp Money Mike is the best thing in the movie.

3. 8 Crazy Nights --- elements of the story were extremely offensive, glad to see it tank at the box office.

4. Santa Who - I love holiday movies so I bought Lesile Nielsen's Disney flick on DVD ----ugh.

Watched again:

5. Preacher's Wife --- one of my favorites, starring Denzel Washington, Courtney Vance and Whitney Houston. Not a great film, but just a lot of fun.

16. Ruth_F

Ruth_F Stunt Coordinator

I missed the original post so I'll take you up on the challenge --- but since i love holiday movies, I'm already easily on pace to meet the goal. Now, I just need to gather up a list of holiday films, so i can figure out what news one I'll see. but then again I've never seen more than snipets of christmas story and scrooged, so it won't be too hard for me. oh and i've never seen the night before christmas.

So far this year I've seen:

1. Santa Clause 2 - cute but not great, when he finds "mrs" clause and she begins to soften up, the movie heads to the south pole.

2. Friday After Next --- the pimp Money Mike is the best thing in the movie.

3. 8 Crazy Nights --- elements of the story were extremely offensive, glad to see it tank at the box office.

4. Santa Who - I love holiday movies so I bought Lesile Nielsen's Disney flick on DVD ----ugh.

Watched again:

5. Preacher's Wife --- one of my favorites, starring Denzel Washington, Courtney Vance and Whitney Houston. Not a great film, but just a lot of fun.

17. Ruth_F

Ruth_F Stunt Coordinator

ummm...does catch me if you can count? leo and hanks have an annual phone chat every year on christmas eve throughout the film.

LOL

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Wonderful Life while we decorated the tree. I can never make it through a full viewing of this film without crying. Stewart gets me everytime with his pained looks as he struggles through the alternate world Potterville.
    It's easy to forget that this film spends 90+ minutes before he sees this alternate view. I think many people think of the last 30 or so when remembering this film, but the emotion is earned in that opening hour and a half.

19. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Seth, I'm the same way on It's A Wonderful Life. My wife can't stand it (she's seen it too many times, and thinks it's way too sentimental, though her dad loved it, too).
    Lionel Barrymore is the perfect villain (I ALWAYS think of him from IAWL whenever I see/hear him in something else).
    The Donna Reed/Stewart courting scenes are priceless, too.
    Easily my favorite Christmas movie.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    What's "It's a Wonderful Life"? Is that a movie?
    j/k I know what it is, but I've never watched it. [​IMG]
    My list to date:
    "A Very Merry Muppet Christmas"
    "The Grinch" (Jim Carrey)
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (this counts, right?)
    "Gremlins"