What's new

*** Official 13 GOING ON 30 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Also based on the trailers, it actually looks like they are going for a similar situation to Big; ie, an older woman attracted to a younger man (she's not an older woman as far as she's concerned, of course). I'm referring to the scene where her adult friends are pointing out a guy who likes her, and she thinks they're talking about a 13-year-old boy in another booth, and she goes over and starts flirting with him. Of course, that is probably just a single gag that lasts as long as it did in the trailer.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Could I ask a mod to consider making this a Big discussion thread and making another one for 13 Going on 30?

THERE IS NO SEX IN 13 GOING ON 30! All this "discussion" about whether there was or was not sex in Big is completely useless in this thread. Besides, 13GO30 is NOT just another Big. It's a completely different scenario and storyline.

If a new thread isn't made, I'll go ahead and say that 13GO30 is a delightful movie. It's sweet, funny and I think most everybody will be charmed by it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I also think it's pretty clear that they have sex in BIG.

That said, the only thing I'm interested in about the parallels between these two movies is whether or not Garner can do what Hanks did - namely, turn in a stellar performance that rocketed him out of TV and into a movie star.

From what I've seen of the trailer...it ain't happening.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

First of all, that's not really fair. Hanks had several starring films before Big, including the hit Splash. There were 9 movies between Bosom Buddies and Big, and 9 more movies between Big and Forrest Gump. Garner's first big role was in 2000's Dude, Where's My Car? (which I haven't seen). This is her first major role. If you're going to compare them, this is her Splash. Give her a little time, willya?

Second, you haven't even seen the movie and it sounds like you're harshly judging her performance, or saying it's, what? blah or something. I *have* seen the movie and she's a delight. It's a funny and charming movie, and I was very impressed with her (and Mark Ruffalo...they have great chemistry together). I hope it does very well for her. Since I think most people, of any age, would have fun at the movie, I'd like to see it become a hit. It would deserve to be a hit.

Look, it's not OMIGODIT'SBRILLIANT!! but it's a very good time, a fun time, at the movies.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Fair enough, Vickie! I plan on seeing it this weekend...but, I'll go in considering it as her "Splash". Does "Daredevil" count for anything?

My comment is probably inherently unfair anyhow...how often are we going to get a Tom Hanks caliber performer?

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Caught the sneak of 13 Going on 30 with my wife this past weekend. Very pleasant movie and my wife really enjoyed it too. We're big Alias fans and I'd rather watch a romantic comedy with Jennifer Garner in it than one with Julia Roberts, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Lopez, or just about any other IT actress.

Very cool to see Andy Serkis in "real" role. Knew there was something familiar about his character but didn't realize it was him until the end credits.

AND THERE IS NO SEX IN THIS MOVIE!!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Well, at the risk of perpetuating it, I'll just say I think the Big discussion kind of petered out. As one of the participants, I can safely say that I'm done with the subject. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anyone has seen 13 Going On 30? My 9 year old wants to see it. She has seen similar type movies, Uptown Girls, etc. I just want to make sure it is appropriate.

I saw an earlier cut of 13 Going on 30 for a movie review I went to and it seems okay for a 9 year old. I don't remember any harsh language or situations. The most racy scene would be when her boyfriend starts doing this stripping thing, but it's more hilarious than anything else. I think he only took his shirt off anyway. So I think it'd be okay if a 9 year old saw it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh mods, please please make this one into the official thread. People seeing the movie have to wade through pages of OFF-TOPIC talk about Big first in that other one.

It's been many decades since I've had a 9-year old, and by then he'd seen the original Alien in the theater, so you might want to consider that soccer mom, I was not.

Anyway, I would certainly take a 9-year old, boy or girl. I can only think of one thing that might be questionable for the most strict of parents, the scene Heidi describes. It ends before anything happens though.

It's getting mixed reviews, but I hope it does well. Ebert didn't like it, but then, Ebert has a problem with comedies (always keep in mind that he didn't like Raising Arizona!)

While not brilliant, it's fun and funny, and it has a good message. It certainly shows off Garner's sweetness, charm and charisma. Garner's on an obscure, low-rated TV show that has a cult following, but she's not really known by the general public. If this is a hit, it'll make her a movie star. It'll certainly be a massive hit on video.

Yah, magazine and online articles are referring to Jennifer Garner as the next Julia Roberts. The TV show that she's a star of, Alias, has been getting good ratings and is holding. I don't really watch it (don't watch much TV at all), but my mom loves that show. When I do run into people who watch it, they rave about it.

I do have to admit that when I first saw Jennifer Garner in her two or three roles in Felicity, she kind of bugged me. She was always doing this pucker mouth thing like she always looked surprised... kinda reminded me of a fish. It made it look like she's got a nice mouth and was trying to flaunt it. =)

However, in the movie, she has redeemed herself in my eyes. She's not doing that pucker fish-mouth thing anymore and she really did a great job pulling off a role where she has to act like a 13 year old in a 30 year old's body. Who knows? Maybe she will be the next Julia Roberts?

She did a pretty good job in Daredevil as well. In fact, she's got her own spinoff movie coming out entitled Electra, which was her character in Daredevil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks