*** Official 13 GOING ON 30 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian_J, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

The thought of a 13 year old in a 30 year old body screwing around with 30+ man just sort of creeps me out and someone else recently mentioned the same thing in a conversation. Is this hollywood gone wrong?

Brian

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It's just a remake of BIG... with a girl. [​IMG]

By the way, as I recall from middle school, 13-year-olds weren't that innocent. They had already started dating and such [​IMG]

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I saw the sneak over the weekend, and there is no real screwing around. A couple of potential situations are diffused.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

And you didn't find a 13 year boy in a 30 year old body screwing around with a 30+ year old woman in Big disturbing as well? [​IMG]

5. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

She should stick with Alias.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

She IS sticking with Alias. [​IMG]

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

from what i've seen from previews and clips, Garners timing here looks quite good.
    and she seems to have enough charm to sell the material.

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

No way. It was more like "Yeah, go get get 'er kid!" [​IMG]

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Agree with you 100% Paul. Jennifer Garner does look convincing in the teasers. My daughters really want to see this and of course, so do I. :b

10. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"And you didn't find a 13 year boy in a 30 year old body screwing around with a 30+ year old woman in Big disturbing as well?"

What version of Big were you watching? The one directed by Penny Marshall, or the one produced by Vivid Home Video? Tom Hanks never fools around with a 30 year old woman. The "romantic interest" sleeps on the bottom bunk while Hanks sleeps on the top bunk, if memory serves. She thinks this is sweet and charming -- that he's not making sexual moves on her, that he wants to be her friend.

Now, that being said, yes -- there is an incredible double standard in this country, because if Tom Hanks HAD fooled around with that woman from BIG, the majority of people would have found it "cute", but when the tables are turned, and it is a fantasy movie about a girl in an adult body, now we're heading into the territory of statuatory rape.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Actually, I think they did have sex later in the movie, after the dinner scene at her house. It's been a while, so I may be misremembering.

Edit: Don't think I am, though, because there's a lot of debate about this on the IMDb. Someone even mentions how she says, "I'm going to jail." after finding out he's 13, which I sort of fuzzily remember.

12. Greg_S_H

Greg

I'm sorry, but there are just too many mentions of this scene in far-flung places on the internet to chalk it up to mass halucination. I'm not too keen on the movie, so I don't really want to track it down to satisfy myself. Hopefully, when the board is a little more populated as the day rolls on, people with better memories will either support what I'm saying, or everyone will let me know it's mass halucination.

By the way, Ben, what was your post about? Were you saying you said what Ernest said?

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "13 Going on 30" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "13 Going on 30" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

14. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Touching a breast is not the same thing as having intercourse. Nothing in the screenplay of BIG states that Josh had sex with Susan...breast fondlng or no.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Does the screenplay mention the breast fondling?

16. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Don't know. I don't have the shooting script in front of me, just a transcript of the dialogue. But even Filmsite.org describes the scene as "innocent". Is that a double standard? Would the same scene with the gender roles reversed be descrbed as "innocent"? I can't comment unitl I've actually seen "13 Going on 30", so I'll just shut my big fat mouth. In my opinion, Josh does not have sex with Susan in BIG.

17. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

This is true, the audience never sees Tom Hanks have sex in Big. In my mind, I always thought it was implied that he did.

It'll be interesting to see how this is handled in 13 Going on 30. I think it will be handled in a similar fashion.

18. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It was implied. Perkins went to turn the lights out, and Hanks turned them back on. It was implied. Not shown, and can be argued either way. But using standard Hollywood convention, they knocked boots.

Take care,
    Chuck

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Not unless you have a heck of an imagination. The only scene remotely close is the one with the guy doing the striptease, which I believe they showed on Leno. It's also in the trailer. It's clear that she's quite squeamish, and trying to avoid sex. She's not really attracted to the guy anyway.

There's no shot of them together and the lights go out, no train goes into a tunnel, nothing like that....

20. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

With regards to Big, it is spelled out quite clearly that they have sex. The Lights Off/Lights On scene was particularly effective because it would be the first time he would ever have seen a woman naked, so he would want to see it. Additionally, when he first bumps into Susan, he is sneaking several glances at her cleavage. Josh is demonstrating a healthy interest in the opposite sex at that age.

I haven't seen the film, but based on the previews, I'd say they are taking a comparatively prudish approach to it. If a 13 year old boy woke up with an attractive woman dropping a towel in front of him, I'd expect he'd be paralyzed with fear and a humongous smile on his face. Double standard? Absolutely, but it has been in place for much longer than this movie or Big.