Office XP on two computers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I purchased OfficeXP and installed it fine on my desktop. I then wanted to put it on my laptop as well. The XP registration process doesn't allow this. It knows I installed it on the desktop and won't allow me to register the copy on my laptop.

Does Microsoft really expect me to drop another $150 (student version) for my laptop? That's insane. Is there any way around this?

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Not legally.

-Dave

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Does Microsoft really expect me to drop another $150 (student version) for my laptop?

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

From Microsoft's site.

Q. Can I install my copy of Office XP on my home computer and my laptop?

A. Yes. According to the End User License for Microsoft Software, you can install and use your retail copy of Office XP on a single desktop computer and on your laptop, for your exclusive use. However, this does not apply to Office XP product licenses acquired with the purchase of a computer. These original equipment manufacturer (OEM) licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another desktop computer or laptop. To learn more about activation policies, visit the Microsoft Product Activation page.

So it looks like as long as it isn't an OEM copy you got included with a new computer you're ok.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Wow, you learn somethin' every day! Thanks Brian. [​IMG]
    -Dave

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Cool! Thanks, Brian.
    BTW, so far I see little difference between OfficeXP & Office 2000. It's maybe a little faster but I haven't yet seen any improved features. [​IMG]