Office Outlook Login

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Souders, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

My job recently converted from Windows something to Windows XP. I know nothing about the way we're setup but we're on some sort of city network. Nevertheless, when I start Outlook now, each time I have to enter my username, domain name, and password. On the old Windows (2000 I think), I didn't have to (like it was stored somewhere).. I've asked our IT guy, who says it can't be made to automatically let me into my own email. But, I'm not his favorite person in the office (since he might be reading this that's all I'll say)... Any suggestions?

Chris

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

It doesn't have much to do with the operating system, but it does have to do with what domain you've joined with the computer and what you're logged in to the computer with.

If your computer is on the same domain as the Exchange server is and you're logged in on that domain, you have already entered the login information you need for mail etc, so you don't have to do it again.

If however you are not logged in on the same domain you need to supply the mail server with the proper credentials to get at your mail.

Outlook can also be configured to force a check every time. The Advanced tab in the e-mail account settings has a check box where you can choose that setting. Make sure that is not selected.

That will have no effect if your machine isn't on the right domain or if you're not logged into the domain.

3. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I think that's the problem.. when I start the computer up, I log into my computer directly, rather than the domain of my email server...

In Outlook 2000, there is no email settings I can find. There's not the email accounts screen like I have on my home Outlook program. Any other suggestions on how I can have it remember or automatically log me into one specific domain for email?

Chris

4. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Well, your system admin can set you up to do pretty much anything he wants you to. My guess is is that he just doesn't want you to. There's not much you can do if he doesn't want you to. Even if you have admin privileges on your own machine (which isn't likely), the system admin has control over how people access network resources.

I guess you could try searching the Internet for a program that will automatically fill in your login info when you start Outlook. I'm sure there are some no doubt. Of course you may not have priviliges on your own machine to install it if you do find one.

I think you're out of luck in other words.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If your computer isn't joined on the domain, you'll just have to keep entering the login info manually.

Hardly a big deal to log in to the mail once a day though. [​IMG]