Offered a used DC-1 (no dts, DD) for $900..is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have a HK AVP1 right now and like it very much for TV/Cable, Sat. What I am wondering is would upgrading (I think) to a DC-1 without digital upgrades be worth the cost? Will there be that much difference sound wise in stereo or movie modes. They are very much alike feature wise and were made around the same time aslo. Give me some advice cause I don't want to be shafted. thanks guys!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The last time I looked into it the upgrade was pretty expensive. The DC1 does not support SACD or DVD-A, has no analog by pass and sounds average in stereo mode. That said I can't think of any other AV pre amp of its vintage that is still a contender in HT systems. IMO I'd pass on it and wait for the newer pre amps like the new Rotel and Outlaw etc.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

3. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

not worth it.

4. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, that price is way too high. Around eight months ago, I sold my Lexicon DC-1 (mint condition, with THX but without DTS or DD) for $550 shipped. This seemed like a very fair price for both parties at the time, so I would imagine that the value is somewhat less now.
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

The base to THX upgrade is $1000, THX->AC-3 $1000, and AC-3 to DTS $500. IOW, you'd be looking at $2400 or $3400 for a useful configuration.
    I got my DC-1 DTS v4 for $1540.
    [Edited last by Drew Eckhardt on September 12, 2001 at 10:58 AM]