What's new

OFF TOPIC - A wish list of what you would have liked or heard "may have been" (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
So we occassionally here about possible spin offs from various shows that don't sell for whatever reason.

Two examples that come right to mind are the proposed spin off of 'I Love Lucy' for Fred and Ethel. But those two actors declined as they didn't really like each other.

Another is (remember we are talking the height of daytime soaps here) a proposed prime time spinoff from 'General Hospital' that was to be called "House of Cassadine". It was going to be a 'Dynasty' / 'Dalls' type prime time soap. Plans were shutttered when ABC couldn't secure Elizabeth Taylor to come on board to reprise her character of Helena Cassadine.

So are there some spin offs that any of us have heard about that FAILED to make it to series, either before or after a pilot was shot, that you would like to have seen?

Is there a character or concept of a spin off of one of your favorite shows that YOU think might have worked, given the chance?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
bretmaverick2 said:
Two examples that come right to mind are the proposed spin off of 'I Love Lucy' for Fred and Ethel. But those two actors declined as they didn't really like each other.

From what I've always read, only Vance declined. Frawley was willing to do the spinoff despite their differences, knowing the potential money that could be made as lead actors. But Vance absolutely refused. Besides not wanting to work more with Frawley than she already had, she didn't feel the characters would work as well without the Ricardos around. Her refusal ended any talk of a spinoff, making Frawley even more hostile toward her.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Would still like to see Vince Gilligan spin off Jesse Pinkman to follow the events of his life post Walt.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I always thought a nice idea would have been to do a spin off series to Hogan's Heroes focusing on Hogan's life after returning stateside post WWII. Now I'm talking about Hogan's life mind you, not Crane's, although I'm sure that would have made for some VERY interesting TV. LOL.

Seriously though, it would have been an After MASH type idea only focusing primarily on Hogan's home or occupational life. Crane really was a great comedian and multitalented (not really sure why his own sitcom flopped as bad as it did back in 75).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
For the first time that I can recall I saw a Coy and Vance episode of The Dukes of Hazzard on CMT recently. I almost wish they would've been given their own show after Bo and Luke returned.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I wish NBC had gone through with its' plans for a Star Trek spinoff of the original series. The characters were to be Robert Lansing, reprising his role as Gary 7, and Terri Garr as his "side kick" Roberta. The pilot was great, I would have definitely watched that show.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Richard V said:
I wish NBC had gone through with its' plans for a Star Trek spinoff of the original series. The characters were to be Robert Lansing, reprising his role as Gary 7, and Terri Garr as his "side kick" Roberta. The pilot was great, I would have definitely watched that show.

Why does Teri Garr refuse to talk about it? Did she have a bad experience filming this pilot?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hindsight is 20/20, but looking back I wouldn't have minded if The Simpsons had gone with the idea to take the supporting characters and make them the focus of their own show. They talked about doing that in the early 2000s when the show's prime was still a relatively recent memory and it still had a chance of being actually good*, but they decided against it. That live-action Troy McClure show could have worked, too, but alas, Brynn Hartman made that impossible. :(

Dave Lawrence said:
From what I've always read, only Vance declined. Frawley was willing to do the spinoff despite their differences, knowing the potential money that could be made as lead actors. But Vance absolutely refused. Besides not wanting to work more with Frawley than she already had, she didn't feel the characters would work as well without the Ricardos around. Her refusal ended any talk of a spinoff, making Frawley even more hostile toward her.

A Fred and Ethel show would also have had an impact on My Three Sons. Someone else would have had to play Bub, and without Frawley in the mix, that also raises a question about what would have happened to Uncle Charley, since his creation came about because of Frawley's death.

That also would have made Vivian Vance unable to do The Lucy Show.

*Even if it meant a showrunner other than Al Jean.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Supposedly JJ Abrams had interest in reviving Star Trek for television at the same time they started the reboot movies, but with the television rights and movie rights now under different umbrellas, a deal couldn't be worked out. Would have been similar to the way we have Marvel movies on the big screen a couple times a year and then Agents Of Shield year round on TV. I would have liked to have seen that.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
rjd0309 said:
Why does Teri Garr refuse to talk about it? Did she have a bad experience filming this pilot?

Just a wild ass guess here, but it might have been she didn't like working with Robert Lansing. I have read in more than one place, that he was extremely difficult to work with. Got himself replaced/fired off Twelve O'Clock High. Just sayin'

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
rjd0309 said:
She claims that the bad experiences have been with Star Trek fans after the fact. She has not enjoyed her interactions with people who are interested in the episode. As for the experience itself, she hasn't said much except that she liked Leonard Nimoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks