Off to see Nightmare on Elm Street (the '10 edition)!

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Wait - why isnt Friday the 13th 2 - um, I mean XII coming to pass? Didn't it make a shit-ton of cash? What happened?

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
See to me in the original it didn't matter if he was a pedophile or not, the children never lived to tell anyone anyway let alone grow up to remember so it didn't really matter.

Having the children live to tell on him and then grow up and become punished by Freddy for something they can't even remember was great I thought.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

Wait - why isnt Friday the 13th 2 - um, I mean XII coming to pass? Didn't it make a shit-ton of cash? What happened?
A week or two ago, I saw a story on Aint It Cool where one of the Platinum Dunes guys said on Twitter that the sequel wasn't happening but he didn't get into why. I'd guess it's because that, while the remake made a ton of money in its first weekend, it also had an insanely large drop the next weekend.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by TravisR

A week or two ago, I saw a story on Aint It Cool where one of the Platinum Dunes guys said on Twitter that the sequel wasn't happening but didn't get into why.
From what I know - which isn't 100% official, but my source is good - it's tied up in a rights dispute between Paramount and Warner/New Line.

And I'm glad for it. I don't want PD taking another pass at F13 after that debacle.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattFini

From what I know - which isn't 100% official, but my source is good - it's tied up in a rights dispute between Paramount and Warner/New Line.
I liked the remake well enough (and it's a masterpiece compared to A New Beginning*, The New Blood, Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X) but I don't really care if they make another one either. The heydey of Friday The 13th was about 25 years ago and they're never going to be able to create the vibe of the early F13 movies again so I don't mind seeing Jason walk off into the sunset.

* Although I do find A New Beginning so bad that it becomes oddly fascinating to watch.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The original part 3 was that the teenagers were going to a certain area in town and committing suicide. Of course, it was really Freddy taking them there in their dreams and killing them. Apparently the suicides were built around the "trouble teens" that eventually made it into part 3 but the suicide stuff, for the most part, was cut out because of (apparent) teen suicides at the time being a hot topic in the media.

You do have to wonder where the next NIGHTMARE will/can go. They certainly can't turn Freddy into the "fun to root for" killer just because of what he does do in part one.

Of the big four remakes I'd say F13 came out the best followed up TCM. HALLOWEEN, to me, was a disaster but I'd watch it again before ANOES.

Of topic but I read a fair number of boards and the same people always complain about the number of remakes. Some are so dramatic in their hatred for remakes but it seems everyone of them lined up for NIGHTMARE this weekend. I do wonder if they'll return to more protest before lining up to see the next mone.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Originally Posted by WillG

I thought that eventually became "New Nightmare"
That was Craven's first pitch for Nightmare 3. Shaye and company said it wouldn't work, then he came up with the absolutely atrocious script for Dream Warriors. Barely anything from it remains in the final product aside from some names and the stuff about suicide. They further anyone stays away from that, the better. It's truly awful.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd say Shaye is the last person to trust with a screenplay considering what he did to the series without Craven. I know the original series has some die-hard fans but I've never really understood how any of the sequels not involving Craven were enjoyed. I know some people prefer the joke Freddy compared to the darker one but to me the NIGHTMARE series was the worst of any of the major guys. I know Shaye got Freddy to become more mainstream with MTV and various other "cool" stations but it always shocked me that slasher fans enjoyed him so much.

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Shaye, even in interviews, comes across as the typical and cliched producer (surprised he doesn't chomp cigars, too) who prostitutes Freddy and keeps making him bigger and bigger for more teens to put more asses in the seats and more dough in his pocket.

I know that's just business but he could at least try to be a little less obvious about it lol.

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I'd guess it's because that, while the remake made a ton of money in its first weekend, it also had an insanely large drop the next weekend.
I doubt it was because of a drop off. Even if F13 made 0 dollars in the second weekend, it made enough in the first weekend to be considered a success and that's even before DVD/BD is considered. And opening weekend is what really counts most of the time anyway, few people remember how the film did the second weekend (every once an a while a film will open modestly and have legs and make a ton of money, but it's not typical). They wouldn't have planned a sequel in the first place if this were the case. If the F13 sequel is dead, it has to be financial disputes/legal issues. I predict NoES will have a similar drop off next weekend as well. Most of the fans of these types of films are seeing it opening weekend and the word of mouth is certainly not going to get others to go out and see it next weekend.

I know the original series has some die-hard fans but I've never really understood how any of the sequels not involving Craven were enjoyedNightmare 4 wasn't too bad. I know by then we had the jokey Freddy, but Harlin I thought managed to inject some flair into a screenplay that should have been terrible and manages to make it somewhat watchable. 5 and 6 were by all means bad, however.

Shaye, even in interviews, comes across as the typical and cliched producer (surprised he doesn't chomp cigars, too) who prostitutes Freddy and keeps making him bigger and bigger for more teens to put more asses in the seats and more dough in his pocket.
I don't know if I can blame him too hard for that. New Line was a small company and for a long time Freddy was a guaranteed money maker. And also, let's not forget he gambled the future of his company on a series of films on a story that was long considered to be un-filmable on an, at the time, no name filmmaker and green lit three films instead of the pitched two. And that film series is now known as..................Austin Powers

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

I doubt it was because of a drop off. Even if F13 made 0 dollars in the second weekend, it made enough in the first weekend to be considered a success and that's even before DVD/BD is considered.
You're probably right but an 80% dropoff (according to Box Office Mojo) from first to second weekend can't be a good sign for the sequel's box office prospects.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott ">[/url]

I'd say Shaye is the last person to trust with a screenplay considering what he did to the series without Craven. I know the original series has some die-hard fans but I've never really understood how any of the sequels not involving Craven were enjoyed. I know some people prefer the joke Freddy compared to the darker one but to me the NIGHTMARE series was the worst of any of the major guys. I know Shaye got Freddy to become more mainstream with MTV and various other "cool" stations but it always shocked me that slasher fans enjoyed him so much. [/QUOTE]
Shaye was absolutely right in the case of Nightmare 3. I'm not just going on hearsay when I talk about how awful Craven's Nightmare 3 script is. I've read it. It's godawful.
And anyone who thinks Shaye didn't LOVE Freddy and all that he did for New Line, I urge you to check out the upcoming documentary,

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've read parts of it and it seems from all involved it had more to do with the subject matter than the actual quality (unless they are covering for Craven). I mean, it certainly wasn't any worse than the screenplay that got the green light for part 2 or anything that followed. I'd also say it wasn't any worse than any of the New Line/F13 scripts.

I personally like Shaye and never meant to imply that he was wrong in doing what he did. He took the character to all sorts of new levels that the other guys never reached but considering how horror fans are, I'm still shocked to see how well Freddy is looked at.

Joe Karlosi

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

As far as I'm concerned, Freddy has been always a pedophile. I know it's not stated specifically in the original (or probably even the sequels) but I can fill in the horrible blank of what happens between when Freddy kidnapped a kid and when he eventually kills the kid.
Well, in FREDDY VS. JASON during his opening backstory, Krueger "licks" a photo of a child as he places it in his scrapbook, so that's pretty close.

Many already know where I stand on modern remakes of films from the '80s that still work as plenty "new enough" even now, but I'm glad to hear that this seems to pretty much be a lousy film. I'm also glad to hear there won't be a FRIDAY THE 13th PART 2 "remake". It's a wonder they even bothered, but of course they wanted to milk the character and the legacy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell