1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Off-The-Air Analog Pictire With Dish 6000 with 8VSB Module???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert C, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Albert C

Albert C Agent

I just installed the 8VSB module in my Dish 6000 because one of my local stations is scheduled to go digital in the next month.

My 6000 feeds into a Mitsubishi 65" widescreen via S-Video for standard and YPrPb for HDTV. It seems, to my eyes, that the local stations' analog looked better when they were fed straight into my Mitsubishi with coax than when fed through the 8VSB and out through the 6000's S-Video.

Is this a similar experience others have had with the 8VSB and 6000? No big deal because I can split out the coax back to the Mits since it's the HDTV I am really holding out for.

Albert

2. Tony Cicirello

Albert,

Do you use a seperate HDTV antenna plugged into the 6000 for the OTA HD channels ?

3. Albert C

Albert C Agent

No...I have a big Radio Shack antenna on the house. It will be about a month before I can see how it works with an HD off-the-air feed.

4. Tony Cicirello

What model RS antenna do you have?

5. Albert C

Albert C Agent

I don't know the model. It has 14 VHF prongs and a big UHF antenna with about 24 spines on the center rod 24 prongs in the V. Can you tell from that description?

6. Scott Ellsworth

Scott Ellsworth Auditioning

Does your 8VSB's fan run all the time and is it noisy? Mine runs even when I shut off the 6000 and it is noisier than my computer fan. I am finding HDTV's don't handle the analog picture well at all but they sure are fantastic for HD signals. Toshiba 57HX81[​IMG]

7. Albert C

Albert C Agent

Hi Scott. Yes, the fan, unfortunately, runs all of the time. I Emailed Dish Depot and Echostar and they both confirmed this. Mark, at Dish Depot, mentioned that a possible future software upgrade could correct this. However, Julie, at Echostar tech support, made no mention of any fixes coming.

I hope my 8VSB doesn't burn out before I get off-the-air HD!

I have split my antenna signal back into my TV so I have my good old SD picture back.

Thanks

Albert

8. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Albert,
    I have noticed the same poor analog video quality thru the 8VSB over the last year.
    The last upgrade from Dish removed some major grain but now the video shows edge enhancement/white halos with light grain.
    I always watch local analog with a RS 10' antenna bypassing the Dish 6000/8VSB

9. Scott Ellsworth

Scott Ellsworth Auditioning

Albert, I am having two other problems with my 6000 and 8VSB. 1. loosing satellite signal while in the HD mode and watching a local off-air channel. Very annoying when you go to the guide to change channels and you have to wait for a minute or longer to get signal back. This could be because I am using a diplexer? 2. On my local ABC from Seattle I get a lot of dots around the person on the screen and the picture will pixelize a lot. I get as strong a signal as my NBC and both are stronger than my PBS and I don't have the troble with them. I also contacted dish net about the fan and they said totake it back to where I bought it and get a new one to see if it is quieter. That doesn't solve the problem of it running all the time and shortening the life of the expensive module. I don't see why they need it to run at all the system is no warmer with the module in than when not.