Off-Center Screen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Davey_T, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

I have a dilemma.

If I perfectly center a screen on my front wall, I'd have 82 1/2 inches available for screen width, including the frame. This is approximately a 90" diagonal (1.78:1) screen if I had one custom made by Carada.

Now, since I want the biggest possible picture, I'm debating going with a 92" screen instead. The trade-off would be that it would be slighly off-center--it would be to the left of center about 1.8 inches.

I'm looking for some opinions on the following:

1. Is trying to go from 90" to 92" diagonal worth it? Or am I splitting hairs, with a 12-foot viewing distance?
    2. If it is worth it, will it really be noticeable that the screen is slightly off-center?

By the way, I have a Sanyo Z2, which will allow me to shift the image slightly to the left and keep it square without the use of keystone correction.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

buy the screen you want. having a screen off center by less than two inches won't be noticed in a room with the lights off.[​IMG]
    remember that the projector needs to be mounted in relation to the off center screen, not to the room.

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

measure measure and then measure.

4. Davey_T

Ralph: Does that mean that you don't think it's OK if the screen is offset 1.8 inches? I.e., are you implying that the screen should be exactly centered, in your opinion?

Thanks,
    Dave

5. Davey_T

(I.e., I HAVE measured and measured and measured! [​IMG] This is why I'm having the dilemma!)

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

well I agree with craig. with the lights off it wont matter.

unless I misunderstood you can adjust the image but into relation of the room you just cannot get it measured correctly perfect, correct ? cause unless you have a strange room you should be able to get it centered. personally I centered my screen on my wall in relation to the projector being centered. measured the room and was slightly off the first try. so i decided to move the projector as it was quicker and easier. I measured the center of the screen to the center of my lens and mounted it there. bingo second try was perfect. unless im brian dead and not getting what your saying it shouldnt be a problem. if your sceen is not big enough a little splash over the edge of the screen is not a big deal and shouldnt be a problem in the dark.

7. Davey_T

Well, here's the situation. My room kind of looks like this: (Using poor ASCII art, here)

--------------------------------------
    | | | |
    | ----- |
    | |
    | |

Basically, the top is the front of the room. The strange thing about 80% to the right is a vertical chase hiding the sewer pipe leading out of the house. It starts about 3 feet off the floor and goes to the ceiling.

So, I have the space to the left of the chase for the screen.

If I go with a 90" screen, it will be centered between the two side walls. If I go with a 92" inch screen (which I'm now leaning towards), the centerline of the screen will be about 1.8" to the left of the room's centerline.

With the horizontal lens shift on the Z2, it doesn't matter that I have the projector mounted exactly centered in the room; I can shift the image slightly to the left to match the screen exactly.

(Side note: If anyone has issues with the location of the image versus the projector, GET THE Z2! Its lens shift feature is awesome.)

Thanks!

Dave

8. Davey_T

Hmm. That didn't quite work. Well, let's try:

(Left Wall) (Blank Space - about 80% of wall) (Vertical Chase) (Right Wall)

9. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

now im really confused cause I dont see the problem. kinda funny, npot for you though im sure your frustrated. had to tell when not there but I cant see a problem with everything being centered. is the scree size your problem like you have indicated ? dont get it.

10. Davey_T

*grin* OK. This is really hard without being able to draw a picture (and if this time doesn't work, I'll slap together a Visio drawing!)

Here's the basic problem:

- Room is 13 feet wide, or 156".
    - Left edge of chase is 36.75" from the right wall
    - To center a screen, its left edge and right edge must both be 36.75" from the respective wall. This means that we have: 156 - 36.75 - 36.75 = 82.5" available for the screen.

So, the problem is that if I go beyond 82.5" in width (approximately a 90" diagonal 16:9 screen), since I can't move the right-hand edge any closer to the right-hand wall because of the chase, that means that the left-hand edge would end up being closer to the left-hand wall. This means the screen would be slightly off-center between the left and right walls.

HOPEFULLY that will clear things up. [​IMG]

Dave

11. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

ok, I think I did not read your post correctly. this is not an image problem this is a perfectionist problem. you just want the screen to be perfectly centered on the wall, right ?

dont worry about it if this is the case. your the only one who is gonna notice. [​IMG] my screen is not perfectly centered and even I dont notice it. you will forget about it. if im misunderstanding again then I will let someone else help. lol [​IMG]

12. Davey_T

Alright! That's prety much what I wanted to know--am I OK ignoring my perfectionist streak in this particular instance?

It sounds like I am.

My wife and I watched a few minutes of a couple of different movies last night, and it looked great at 92". The room does look a little off-balance, but that's just because of the annoying chase. (Unfortunately, this was the only spot in the basement where I could build the room!)

Thanks for the input!

Dave

P.S. I just wanted to mention--I believe the forum rules forbid listing your equipment in your signature because it screws up searching. Others have listed their equipment in a bitmap to work around this rule. I don't really care--I just wanted to mention it in case you get hammered by someone else for having it like that.

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

lol, your too funny. I was looking into it too much! ha [​IMG]

I guess it would be impossible to turn the rrom around ? prob make it harder with the FP. I would say screw it and your def worse than I am when being a perfectionist. even I didnt get that perfect when I did mine but close.

its just the chase, it would bother me too. if it was not there you wouldnt even notice the screen being off unless you really are that bad of a perfectionist. I bet you get some serious brightness/reflection of the walls there. eh ?

I didnt know that and its gone. will make a bitmap. dont want to screw up seaches. I use it! [​IMG]

14. Davey_T

Thanks, Ralph. I am a rather anal bast*rd.

Yeah, the chase blows. I did try to "turn around" the room every which way, but every way had a drawback. Either you'd be bumping your head on the chase, or I'd have to put the entry door all the way on the other side of the room from where the stairs come down from the 1st floor.

I ended up painting the ceiling and the chase flat black. You can see some reflection off of it, but it's not too bad. It looks more like just a little illumination rather than a nasty, bright reflection. If I hadn't done the black, I'm sure it would be worse.

I must say, going from a 27" TV (*gulp!*) to a 92" inch front projection screen is almost a religious experience--freakin' unbelievable. I got 3 of the 7 speakers hooked up last night just to do some early testing, and it's unbelievable.

Thanks again for the input!

Dave

15. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

the Sanyo Z2 is a nice unit. almost purchased a used one but wanted to stay away from LCD this time around. now I find out people are having problems with DLP color wheels and lamp. lol [​IMG] which is worse dust or mechanical. I will let you know!!!!! lol [​IMG] cant win!

what are you running for audio equipment ?

nothing beats a front projector. almost as good as the movies. it would be equal but he movies screens are so huge but being at home comfortable cant be beat. but yes a religious experience!!!!! what does the woman think ?

I bought a new bigger crt for upstairs and got rid of the 27", got a new Sony Wega XBR800 36" HDTV and it gives a beautiful picture. thought the projector would get less use. after a month of HDTV i missed the big screen and now have a new projector this week! lol HDTV on the big screen shall be a treat!