off air signal ,hd, with direct tv reciever

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Swenson, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

i recently moved maybe 13 miles from my last place, there i had wb but not abc, here it is the other way, 0 to 20% signal on wb now, i am using my samsung 160 direct tv reciever for off air stuff, no longer have satelite, would it pay to upgrade the receiver to a normal off air one? i have a pretty big antenna on the roof but the coaxial cable looks pretty old, would it help to redo them? even though the rest of the channels come in ok? it looks to be at the right degree for WB(the antanne)
    any hints?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It could be a multi-path issue. Are there any large buildings, water towers, hills, etc. near you?

-Robert

3. Jeremy Swenson

i checked antannaweb, looks good,, it is a uhf/vhf antanne, the biggest that radio shaq had, i am near a forest ,that might hurt it, but the other channels are ok

would a newer tuner help? i will try and change the coax when i can

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you get a new tuner, make sure you know the return policy. The newer models have a little better tuner and fight multi-path better. Will you go from zero signal to perfect? Probably not. If you had a marginal signal with a few drop-outs, a new tuner might help.

-Robert

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

LG mfg boxes generally do the best job with multipath but an overall signal strength that low isn't going to be helped much.

Definitely redo the downlead and experiment with aiming the antenna, you may need to add an antenna rotor to pick up all the signals in your area if all the towers aren't close to each other.

6. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Try adding an antenna signal amplifier, about $40 at Radio Shack.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Amps are good for pushing the signal over long cable runs. If the signal is marginal or multi-path, it will just amplify garbage. Also RS antenna amps are known to be noisy. Terk (only their antennas suck) amps are clean and reliable.

-Robert

8. Jeremy Swenson

updating this, its sort of funny, i replaced the cable from the outside antenna and checked the signal strength, it was perfect on most channels, and 70% on wb which was 20% or so before , so we went to the trouble of replacing the cable from the amp all the way to my tv, through the attic then down the wall, with plenty of problems,then we shut the attic up and when i went to try the tv it was back like it was, very low signal, i sent my freind up to try something else, and before he even got up there it went perfect again,
    turns out the signal amplifier was on the same circuit as the attic light, meaning the people before me never used it, and all i would have had to do was flip a switch, i just loosened the bulb and left the switch on

i just moved in here 3 weeks ago but its still frustrating that i missed 3 weeks of a good signal, i am sure happy now though