Off-air programming???

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Vince A, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Auditioning

Folks,

Just had my high-def hooked up over the weekend, starting to sink my teeth into it and the possibilities. Background: I live in NY and have DirecTV, already subscribed to the local channels and just upgraded to the high-def programming package ($10.99) for the time being.

For the record, I live in an apartment, and hooking up the off-air antenna (with DirecTV) would be prohibitive, since the pizza dish would not fit on my porch... so we left it at the regular hd dish.

Interesting point from the technician- he told me that the off-air antenna is useless and wouldn't matter, since after 8 pm the local channels in high-def would be available anyway somewhere out there if you don't have the off-air antenna hooked up.

Last night, tooled around... found channel 80 (was the CBS high-def channel, which I picked up (wow!)). Wondering if anyone else is in my boat, and where the other local channels are out there in high-def???? (in NY of course).

Sorry if this is a confusing question, I'm a newbie to the high-def world and am short on knowledge right now!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since you live in a CBS owned and operated market (NY), you are eligible for the national HD feed. That is the ONLY high definition network feed on satellite. To get the remaining HD network feeds you will need an antenna. Go to AntennaWeb to find the size and type antenna you need for your location.

If you are close to the towers, you can probably use an indoor antenna like the Zenith Silver Sensor or Radio Shack Double Bow Tie. If you need a larger antenna, some of the Channel Master models may work since they mount vertically.

-Robert

3. Vince A

Vince A Auditioning

Thanks, Robert. I'll probably investigate my antenna options. It's a situation where I've spent a couple of pennies, why stop now? With the high-def signals I've seen, it's truly worth a shot!

Anyhow, great board here. Will def. stick around and learn (hopefully contribute one day).