Off-air Antenna

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James^C, Nov 24, 2005.

1. James^C

James^C Extra

I just purchased my first HD TV (Sony Bravia 40" LCD Flat Panel). I have DirecTV with the HD TiVo reciever. Unfortunately in order to get my local chanels in HD, I need an off-air antenna. Can anyone suggest one? I would like to get an inside antenna unless they do not perform well...if that is the case, please suggest an outside version...

Thanks again!
    James

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Fill out the info at the following Link,and it will give you recommended Antennas for your Local Digital channels:
    Antennaweb

* Zip Code is all that is need.

3. James^C

James^C Extra

Thanks. I did the search and it said that I need a "Large Multidirectional Antenna or a Small Directional Antenna with pre-amp". Where do I get one of these? Can I pick one up at Best Buy? How much? Does anyone know any make and model numbers?

Thanks
    James

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

If you mainly want the Cleveland HD stations you might be able to get away with a Silver Sensor indoors -- small cheap and easily returnable if it doesn't do the job. I think Sears may still carry those. I had decent results with the Terk HDTVa from Radio Shack though it's a little pricy for what it is.

If that doesn't do the job then I'd suggest a Channel Master 4221 with or without a 7775 preamp though it's definately outdoor/attic material. warrenelectronics.com and solidsignal.com are excellent online sources

The Winegard Squareshooter is smaller, less obvious, and works very well though a lot more expensive.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'm about 25 miles from my transmission towers and use the Radio Shack Double Bow Tie with good success. It sits on top of my receiver and shoots through two wall. Others have had good results with this RS antenna. To eliminate the occaisional drop-out, I'm upgrading to this antenna installed in the attic.

-Robert

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

That little RS Bowtie is an amazing little retro thing isn't it? Used the same thing in 1969 and thought it was old fashioned even then.

7. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

[​IMG] Yeah, I agree, but it worked then and still will!