OFC or Silver plated ETP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SanfordL, Apr 15, 2002.

1. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for sound qualities of O2 free copper vs. Ag plated ETP if anyone has experience with one or both kinds of wire. Is there any sound difference, or is it a wash? I've read that silver plated wire tends to be overly brite, but I'm not too certain that I buy it. Does anyone have any experience?
    P.S. - The Cleveland Browns are marching to the Super Bowl next season. [​IMG]

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Silver or silver plated wire is brighter sounding

than copper. I have no idea why. However, if you

system can produce decent sounding notes in the

upper frequencies around 5000hz and up, you will

appreciate the sound produced by silver. I used to

use co-ax cables (MIT) and switched to silver or

silverplated copper configured as twisted pairs of

wires for interconnects because I preferred the

purity of the high frequency they produce. An interesting set of interconnects I have are basically twisted pair

4N's silver, inside teflon tubing filled with mineral oil to prevent oxidization of the silver. However,

this might not go down well with audiophiles who

prefer a "warmer" sound. I had a tubed headphone amp

that sounded fine with co-ax/copper but whose high

end being more pronounced with silver was "hashy."

Enough to make me get rid of the amp.

3. brucek

brucek Second Unit

SanfordL,

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Indeed it would seem that a nominal 6% improvement in electrical conductivity is quite small. Sorry to hear the Browns have to march to the superbowl while others will be taking chartered jets.

5. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Well, 6% would matter if this was a current interface, but it isn't. This is a voltage bridge where the preamp acts as a voltage source feeding an amplifier with a high input impedance. The resistance of the wire used in a cable here is overwhelmed by the voltage divider set up by the input and output impedances.

With preamp output impedances of typically 100 ohms feeding input impedances of >10Kohms, you can believe that typical copper interconnects with a DC resistance of .030ohms/foot don't enter into the equation. Silver at -6% less resistance of .028ohms/foot shares the same insignificance. Silver is pure marketing here.

The important concern for an interconnect is that the high reactance (frequency dependant resistance caused by capacitance) of the cable, creates a low pass filter which adversely affects bandwidth. This distortion is increased with longer cables and preamps with higher output impedances. Whether a cable exhibits high capacitance values has little to do with copper or silver.

brucek

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i didn't know if he was talking about speaker cables or what. me, i'm waiting for aluminum to make a resurgence.

nice explanation btw, brucek