Of these line conditioners - which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom Camlioglu, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Between:

Monster HTS2500
    Monster HTS3500 (or 5100)
    Panamax Max 5100
    Panamax Max 5300

I've found some decent deals (and yes I know about the MOV's issue(s)- but those w/out (ie. Richard Gray, Brickwall etc.) tend to cost quite a bit more!

Thanks in advance ..

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What does an MOV have to do with a line conditioner? Maybe you can explain either what kind of capabilities or problems you're looking to address.

3. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

I'm running the 5300 and love it. Got it for a tad under 300.00 on line. The switched outlets are great.

4. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

The fact that these line conditoners also offer surge suppression and are MOV based unlike something like Brickwall ...

I'm comparing prices on the units I've listed above, so if you can help differentiate between what the Monster "does" different/better compared to what the Panamax "does" different/better - I'd really appreciate it!

Tom[​IMG]

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

what about a Panamax Max 1000+ I have seen them cheap on ebay?

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had a Adcom ACE 615. I really liked it.

Otherwise, I actually don't see much difference between any of those units. Any of them will work.

Monster has newer 2600 and 3600 out too.

7. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Just received my Panamax Max 5100 this afternoon. *Very* solidly built, weighed in at 18.3 lbs! I purchased it from an authorized online dealer.

My system is finally completed! [​IMG] (At least until after the SACD/DVD-A mess is over with.)

Pete

8. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

I use a Max 1000+ and it's worked really well over the years...sparing my system from brownouts, dirty power, and power losses with applomb.

I think EVERYONE should protect their HT investment with a device like this!

Cheers,
    Dan

9. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

what are the major changes between the MAX 1000+ and the newer MAX 5000 and such?

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you're looking at these units strictly in terms of surge protection/EMI-RFI filtering, then each of these units is overpriced. In fact, strike that, they're ridiculously overpriced. Consider the Stratitec 5200 which is available for under $20 at Sam's club. It's got specifications comparable to those mentioned. If there's a reason to spend the money, it'd have to be by considering the switching and connection capabilities of the units. That's really going to depend on how you see yourself connecting your equipment, what you need in the way of switched/unswitched. In terms of basing it on anything else, IMHO, it just doesn't make any sense. If you live in your own home, I think it'd make more sense to install whole house surge protection, a dedicated line, and then a relatively inexpensive switching device...maybe something from Furman.

11. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I have a Panamax 5100 for a year now, very good, all my equipment is functioning great.

The only downside that I see is that I have it on my bedroom, and although you can set the intensity of the lights, still bothers me to sleep. But beside that is a very good unit.

I'm moving a

Marantz SR6200
    SVS 25-31Pci
    Sony Wega 32' FV16
    Sony DVD 655
    Sony PS2

12. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I can't say that I hear any audio differences since I added the Panamax Max 5100, but you can *see* video differences. The black level is definitely darker, enough so that I need to recalibrate using my Avia disk. My wife actually noticed this right off the bat, with no prompting on my part. [​IMG]

Argue all you want on whether the money was well spent. I was using a quality Panamax DBS 4 outlet model before, and just ran slap out of outlets. I wanted a rackable unit that I could put on the bottom shelf of my stand that would blend in with my other audio/video components. Looks *do* matter in my house, and the 5100 fits my needs perfectly.

Just consider me fat, dumb, and happy! [​IMG]

Pete

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I don't think you're dumb Mr. Jennings. You defined the criteria that were important to you and acted upon them. My particular comments above were soley directed towards the 'conditioning' aspect of the above units. Surge Protection is not conditioning and for some, even EMI/RFI filtering isn't either. Conditioning is one of those words that means many things. For some it's balanced power, for others it's isolation transformers, for others it's voltage stabilization. The thing is, to me at least, is to define what the problem is to see if any of those other 'definitions' lead you to a solution. Otherwise, general EMI/RFI suppression is almost a given in just about anything you buy these days. In which case, if that's all you're looking for and the switching capabilities aren't important then it's going to sit on the floor in back of your rack. The devices that're used for EMI/RFI suppression are dirt cheap...tens of cents in the quantities they're buying. Other interesting choices are devices like the Belkin Isolators. In those, each pair of outlets has EMI/RFI between them. The further you are from the power cord, the greater the suppression. A good spot for your TV would be at the end.
    So no, I don't think you're stupid at all. You wanted a rack unit, you wanted it to look pleasing, you probably liked the other features, and you were prepared to pay a certain price for those preferences. It's all about defining what you need, what you want, and going for it. Sometimes, to me, the questions really aren't phrased very well to give an appropriate answer.

14. TinaMP

TinaMP Stunt Coordinator

I am running the panamax 5300 and love it I picked mine up new for $125

15. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a Tripp Lite LC1800 voltage regulator/surge protector , be here this weekend. I'll let you know how it performs. Much cheaper than those listed.

16. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Monster HTS 5100 is the way I went. Originally had the 2500 and saw no difference in audio or video. Picked up the 5100 and the video portion drastically cleaned up. Whereas before my PQ was very good, I felt the need for a limited ISF for focus. With the 5100 there is no longer any need for focus. Color is spot on. Blacks are absolute. The 3-D aspect popped out further. Saved money on a calibration, went towards the power conditioner with surge protection to boot.

Its not only my eyes, but everyone that has seen my TV. I also changed my outlet to a P/S isolated ground.