OEM fog lamp lens cover for 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S...Help!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This morning while I was at the store, some schmuck rammed a shopping cart into the front right of my Celica, scratching the paint a bit and breaking the lens cover for my fog lamp. I was inside for less than 10 minutes and came out to find a shopping cart crunched into the front right corner. Bastards!!!!!! [​IMG] I went directly to the Toyota dealer to price a replacement. Turns out the lens cover ain't cheap. They want almost $300 for just the cover and housing it attaches to!!!!!!! To make matters worse, a few months ago I upped my comp. insurance to $500 to lower my premiums. [​IMG] Makes me sick.

Does anyone have a link to an online source which would carry the lens cover? I checked a few online parts sites and none of them carried it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    How about a junk yard? Or try ebay or a Celica forum. Alot of people have parts, say they were upgrading to aftermarket lights or something, they could sell their OEM lights that you could buy.

Good Luck and death to shopping carts!

Jay

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Clinton,

If it's a reputable store, you should go back and make a claim. They should have insurance that covers damage caused by their shopping cart in their parking lot.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Jason is right, we will(a&P that is) pay a claim pretty quickly. As long as we can line up a mark, or see the damage on the ground we'll pay when you get a couple estimates.

I guess A&P considers it a goodwill thing.

We'll even pay an employee claim as long as it doesn't appear to be a blatant rip off attempt.

Brent

5. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    Hmmm, most of the stores in my area have put up signs stating they are not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles in their lots. Worth a shot, though.

I second the junk yard idea. My '94 Camaro had a broken fog light (have to replace the housing, too) and my sister found me one for $30.00 (she gets special pricing because she works in an auto repair shop). The junk yard normally sells them for $60.00 each (retail is $120.00). Still, even at $60.00 it'd be a bargain.

6. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The store in question has signs up saying they are not responsible for damage, yadda yadda yadda... I scoured the net last night and could not find anything remotely close to my lens cover & housing. It's raining now and is forcasted to rain until next Monday so maybe next week I can get to a few junkyards to see what they have. In the meanwhile, I'm not going to run my fog lamps to make sure they don't short out.

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Clinton,

Have you tried here? They might be able to help.

Mike D.

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Clinton,

I would still check with the store to see if they will pay for it. That sign is a pretty standard disclaimer in most commercial lots, but many stores will pay for minor damage caused by their carts (not other cars, somebody keying you, etc.). It's at least worth a try!

9. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Just buy some aftermarket ones??

I don't know if these are oddly shaped or anything, but you could get some pretty nice lights for even half that $300!

10. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Thanks for the link Mike. I'll check it out.

I don't want to go the route of aftermarket lamps and the trouble to change out the fixtures and all. I'm planning on getting a bodykit this fall and I may get one with no cutouts for fog lamps on the front bumper. Thanks all.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Standard disclaimers like the "not resposnible" thing doesn't mean anything!! They are responsible, not if yourcar gets keyed or broken into, but if a cart runs into it that sort of thing.

Brent