Odyssey Audio - Epiphony Mini Monitors (or opinions on other quality bookshelfs)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Marcus Lewis, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Odyssey Audio - Epiphony Mini Monitors (or opinions on other quality bookshelfs)

Hi does anyone have any experience with the Epiphony's?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ascend CBM-170's (which are great BTW)

I'm on a small island in the Caribbean (Trinidad) and have to import, so auditions are not an option and I have to go on recommendations.

Price is a factor because I have a 6:1 exchange rate to deal with so the bookshelf speakers have to be < 1000 US. I don't mind buying used...

I'm looking for the next step up in sound from my CBM's.

I have heard and liked for music:
    1. Ascend acoustics CMB 170
    2. Vandersteen 2ce signatures

I heard and don't like for msic:
    1: Klipsh RF-3 (I have these in my HT and they are great for movie dynamics and playing loud, but music is coloured, not sweet and too forward)
    2. Silverline audio Sonatina 3 (Basically same as the Klipsch but for way to much $$$)

I am looking to upgrade from my CBM's and whatever I get will have to run well with my gear which is not likely to change soon:

1. An Adire Rava sub (nice for music)
    2. Rotel RSX-965 which is supposed to be 75w RMS (150w ?) per ch with 4ohm speakers not being a problem.
    3. Phillips DVD 9635a dvd video/SACD player

I have been considering these:
    1. Odyssey Audio Epiphony's (new $595)
    2. von schweikert VR-1's (used $500 - 600)
    3. Onix Reference 1 used ($900)
    4. Ascend Acoustics cbm-340 (new $500 +)
    5. ???

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Remember m goal is to improve on my very sweet CBM-170's significantly ...

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

what type of amp are you using? i'm not a huge fan of bookshelf speakers, but if i were to purchase a pair, i'd definitely look into a pair of soliloquy 5.0 with matching stands. you can probably find a pair used on audiogon for less than $1000.

kevin t

3. Marcus Lewis

Thanks kev ... I'll google the Soliloquys, and I have a Rotel reciever that's supposed to be 75w RMS / ch ...

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard all of the above except for the Epiphony's.....I own Ascends and current use the CMT-340 as mains.

What are you hoping to gain? The biggest difference all of these have over the 170 is bass, which you negate with the Rava. Next would be midbass info.

All are very nice speakers. The VR-1 would be last for me in that list, it did not have the dynamics of the Ref1 or 340. The 340 has nicer mids IMO than the Ref1...not as deep as bass, and the highs would be a matter of preference/perception.

I have heard A LOT of good things about the Epiphony's and would love to hear them some day.

Good luck on your search.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I've never heard the Ascends, but I do know that you can't go wrong with Vandersteens......I love those speakers.

6. Marcus Lewis

The Ascend's plus sub are close enough to the Vandersteen 2ce signatures, that I would not spend $1500 on the Vandersteen's and instead spend $350 on the CBM's and use the balance for a nice integrated tube amp...

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The CMT-340 have more midbass than 170's, more dynamics, wider dispertion, and can play louder.

FWIW....there are a couple of pairs of Ref1's in the sale section here as well....one asking $825/pr.