Odyssey 5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jun 22, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Earth is Darker than Space
    Odyssey 5 began on Showtime last night with Peter Weller, and thus far it's 1000% better than Jeremiah. In the first episode they set up a compelling 5 year story arc with a defined beginning and potential ending. I have a lot of hope for this one.
    I was a bit less excited about 05 in being dissapointed by Jeremiah (I still hope that show can get better, but it hasn't been renewed... yet). I honestly think O5 will be a better replacement for Stargate SG-1 in the SciFriday slot than Jeremiah could have been.
    So far they've done a great job with the characters and how they'd likely react to their situation. It's clear too that they won't be able to drift through their lives knowing what's to come over the course of 5 years as the simplest things seem to change the course of history.
    Did anyone else catch the show? Looks like Showtime has me back on Friday nights.

2. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Yes I thought it was very good but I also like Jeremaih, I cant wait to see what happens with this show if they let it run, it has great potential.

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

they set up a compelling 5 year story arc
    Maybe... could be much longer, or shorter... if the show is a flop, I guess we'll see the earth blow up again. [​IMG] The thing I like is that every action they take is causing changes. Love the football scene and his rational for that!
    Loved the episode thus far, although I'm not sure about the main players yet. The episode was very fast paced though, and did all it could to sink hooks in.
    I wonder how long it will be before we are seeing the Seeker again? Also I hope we'll find out the rational for the bad guys as well.
    BTW, repeat on Sunday for those of you folks who missed it.

4. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Definently off to a strong start. I certainly am looking forward to next weeks episode. While I watch Jeremiah, I will have to agree it's disappointing.

It will be interesting to see how these five people with no experience in Intelligence, surveillance or possibly even self defense will be able to stop it (whatever "It" is).

5. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Yeah, I thought it was alright too (but I definately don't like it as much as my beloved Stargate SG1[​IMG]).
    How many of you KNEW the wife was gonna ask Peter Weller's character if he was having an affair?!?![​IMG]

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

7. Paul E. Fox II

Ok, riddle me this...

Is this what Showtime does? Develop a VERY sucessful series and then CAN it after the fifth season? I seem to remember something of the same nature for "The Outer Limits" some time ago and then there it is again on The SciFi Channel (I think...)with new episodes.

Why on earth would they NOT want to keep viewers tuning in for MORE than FIVE YEARS?!?!?

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

From what I've been told it's because they contract the stars & producers out for five years, and in the sixth contracts need to be renegotiated. They don't want to pay the extended fees. They have a fair relationship with the Sci-fi channel for continuing popular Sci-fi shows though.

I don't think O5 will run more than 5 years anywhere. Although it COULD go longer, the story could very easily be completed in that time frame.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I watched the replay last night. It started out okay, but then I felt like I was watching X-Files, but with a bigger crew who were allowed to cuss a lot and bop a few bunnies (nice bonus to see Katia Corriveau in the movie). The redhead is cute (Andrea?). The premise is a bit goofy though.

10. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

It looks like this series is starting to resemble the old Invaders series from the '60's. The Invaders! In color! A Quinn Martin Production!
    In the Invaders the aliens took human form but their pinky stuck out to give them away.
    I can dig that.
    Excuse my flashback, they sneak up on me every once in a while.

Odyssey 5 does have some nice HD and DD5.1

11. Mike Soltis

Mike Soltis Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think the first season of "The Invaders!" was in b/w[​IMG]
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt like I was watching the X-Files. Big difference here is if our star gets hurt, we just call OCP for warranty service (sorry, I couldn't pass that up).
    I have to agree with Paul & John, definitely not as good as SG1, although SG1 on Sci-Fi looks OK so far. I was concerned over the move to Sci-Fi because of what happened to the Outer Limits when it went from Showtime to Sci-Fi. Although IMHO, the first couple seasons of TOL on Showtime were a lot better, more episodes that reminded you of the original (also b/w) show.

12. Paul E. Fox II

As for Stargate SG1 on SciFi, those of us who truly love the show shouldn't worry, since the 6th Season is it...correct?

13. Mike Soltis

Mike Soltis Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    My take on this is this is the last season for the show, but supposedly RDA & co. (mgm?) want to make a motion picture to follow the series.
    This I glean from Gateworld

14. Paul E. Fox II

I could stand another Big Screen Adventure through the Stargate, but they damn well better keep SG1 together! Losing Daniel was bad enough!

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Daniel will be back for the big screen adventure, he's contracted.
    They have planned, but not finalized (financed, greenlit) at least one Stargate SG-1 film.
    They have finalized an animated spinoff that starts September 24 Stargate Infinity .
    They have planned, but not finalized and greenlit a live action spinoff Stargate Atlantis which would either be introduced in the film, or in the waning part of this SG-1 season. It is not known whether this will go to syndication or Sci-fi. It is UNLIKELY it will go to Showtime.

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It seems they may start showing O5 in widescreen on Sunday nights at 10:45. Last Sunday, the premeire was still 4:3 on Sunday, and I don't know that it's ever been shown otherwise, but this week, the rerun of episode 2 was in widescreen.

Great episode 2 by the way. The mythology on this show is compelling, and this hour was excellent. They certainly have a lot of interesting ground to cover.

17. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

This show certainly has captured my attention. The "alien" we saw in the first episode was actually human-made (or AI made).

Now I'm not certain if Earth really is being invaded, or perhaps its destruction is simply a byproduct of AI's rising in power and taking over (and perhaps no longer needing a terrestrial planet). Perhaps the physics experiment that blew up the planet also had a primary purpose of doing something for the AI's.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Crap! Missed episode 2 (flipped on the TV, and saw the last 20 seconds of it - Weller had really short cropped hair).

19. Bryan S

Bryan S Agent

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The seeker never said the threat was alien, just that other planets were destroyed (leading us to beleive it's alien). The rise of AI is a possibility in any culture capable of space travel, I would posit.

It could also be possible that an extraterrestrial force is influencing this AI revolution to assist in their affairs.

Also, it's likely that 5 people seeking one conspiracy will happen upon many others. It worked for the X-files.