Odd video banding on Walt Disney Treasures: Spin & Marty

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steven Wesley, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Unlike most of you who have been discussing the quality control issues on the animated released of Wave 5, I decided to pop in The Adventures of Spin & Marty set first. While I'm not a videophile with all the snazzy equipment and the like, I did notice something odd on Disc 1 that I'm hoping someone can explain.

It was during Leonard Maltin's introduction to the disc. Most of this intro features color shots of him standing at the ranch interspersed with black & white archival footage from the series and the Mickey Mouse Club. At around the 3:02 mark during this segment, I noticed that some of the black & white segments had what can only be described as green horizontal bands at intervals down the screen. At first I thought this might be my player acting up, so I popped the discs into my DVD-ROM drive... and saw the same thing. Here are some screenshots I grabbed using WinDVD:

This is how most of the black and white footage appears in the intro; correct, from what I can assume:

[​IMG]

Now here are two examples of the green banding effect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What could be causing this? Error in the authoring, equipment issue on my end, space aliens? I'm also curious if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

My guess is that whoever was doing the transferring didn't turn off the color burst on the black and white footage.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This footage came from Leonard's intro? If so, that kind of explains it. Those intros are added onto the DVD's in a quick fashion. Not a lot of attention goes into them (at least most of the time).

The big reason is, those intros are produced at other facilities and they often don't have the 'remastered' video, so they have to use old archival footage, which may be in bad shape.

The intro probably didn't have a big budget, so they just use what they have without paying for cleaning up the footage. To me, it just looks like someone had a crappy tape of that archival footage and that's what got thrown into the intro.

p.s. This happens a lot in featurettes. The movie footage (in these clips) doesn't always look as good as the footage from the movie (on the DVD). That's because they are using inferior footage to produce these featurettes.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

That's called -- surprise, surprise -- "colour banding", and it's an artefact of velocity or head-alignment errors during playback of NTSC composite colour video on certain types of video-tape recorder. For it to appear in black-and-white material on a DVD [component format] indicates great carelessness and use of improper equipment in the mastering process.
    There's a little switch under the front-panel of every broadcast VTR marked "Color/B-W", and you're supposed to flip that switch to the correct position when you change from one kind of video to the other.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I have not watched Swamp Fox yet, but IMO, the episode transfers for Spin and Marty look great! The black & white image is very crisp and overall black detail is excellent. These episodes have obviously gone through a digital restoration and remastering for the set. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the clips used in the supplemental sections. The green color banding previously mentioned is present throughout much of the supplements. Also, the included full Mickey Mouse Club episode that introduces Spin and Marty does not look quite as good as the other individual episodes, IMO. The Mousekartoon looks downright awful. But, when it comes to the episodes (where it really counts), this set delivers.

One question though, does anyone recall if Spin and Marty episodes included recaps or previews? For some reason, I have a vague recollection of each episode ending with a title card and a voiceover something along the lines of, "Tomorrow's episode... Perkin's Decision." Perhaps I am confusing this with The Hardy Boys or another MMC serial.