Odd Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert T, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Robert T

Robert T Auditioning

First post.

About a week ago I received my first Sub. I have always owned and enjoyed the sound of large tower speakers but I needed somethig to go with my Klipsch KSB 3.1"s ( I use 6 for my HT setup with 2 KSB's for the surround back channel) I run these from my Denon 4800 (urr only thx ex matrix, should have waited) Anyways, this is the first sub I've ever bought and it was purchased sight un-seen (or un-heard) I picked it up off a auction site for $64.00 + S+H $$$$$ . The odd part it,s made by Denon. I thought it was going to be a Mission Sub with a Denon name but no it,s a Denon with a "made in the USA" sticker. I,ve been buying Denon products for 15 years (still using my 1560 cd player) and have never heard of Denon making speakers of any type. It's a 8" Sub (with a foam surround on the speaker) downfiring with a 100 watt amp. Iv'e scoured the internet to try to find out who makes this with no luck. Anybody have any idea?

Thanks WB

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Denon made a few subs in the past. They had one that had 2(!) remote controls. One was a *baisc* control that had crossover,phase,volume and 3 other buttons...presets for something or other.

The other control had like 30 little buttons on it. You could control ANYTHING you can think of...slopes,Q,anything. That was out like 3-5 years ago I believe. Never marketed much by Denon...but definitely ahead of its time regarding some of the flexibility.

I've seen some anechoic stuff on the bigger models...they did pretty well from what I can remember,

TV

4. Robert T

Robert T Auditioning

Greetings

MarkO Same Sub except mines a Denon DSW-40 with a 100 Watt amp. Sorry I should have included the model # in my original post.

Tom V Sounds like Denon might have been playing in the Sub market. I havn't hooked this Sub up yet (working on extending the depth of my HT cabinet, Denon 4800 is deep) but I'm going to pull the speaker and look to see who makes it. I'm really bothered by the fact this is a foam surround speaker and wondering how long it will last. Maybe that's why the Sub only comes with a 90 day warranty.