What's new

Odd shaped room dilemma. HELP! (1 Viewer)

jonAB

Auditioning
I have a very odd shaped room, and want to put in surround sound. Here are the limitations of the room:
1) I cannot put the speakers behind me (sofa against wall);
2) I cannot put the speakers on the side walls (one side is a window, the other is a passthrough to a kitchen.
I really need something that can be mounted on the back wall, and then adjusted to point sideways. I had been considering the Bose AM 15 or 10 systems. But I don't much care for Bose.

Are there any other quality systems with really small speakers that can be adjusted to fit the shape of my room like Bose's? I don't want to spend silly money, but anything under $1000 before installation would be something I'd consider. The priorities are small and adjustable (and good), not cheap.

PS I have an Onkyo TX-SR601.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Paradigm Cinema series
Klipsch Reference Series
HSU Research series

Lots more too.

Are just a few. But lots of better speakers around the same physical size anyways.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
You can get adjustable mounts that will hold any speaker up to 10 pounds to point them any which way you want. Don't think that just because you want to point your speakers in an odd direction, it means you have to get Bose, blech!

It sounds like your room is similar to mine. My living room is open on one side to the dining room/kitchen area and on the other side is a window, and there is no room behind the couch for speakers. What I did was on one side I built a little corner shelf, next to the window and put the speaker on the shelf. It is about 2 feet above the listener's ear level. On the other side, I have the speaker sitting on the edge of a piano, but you could build a shelf there too, up on the wall of your kitchen passthrough, I guess.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
The Paradigm Cinema Series is a great sounding speaker setup for the price.

Audition them if you can. I was impressed. The rear speakers are dipole and point at an angle both ways, basically out into the room.

Here is the link:

Paradigm Cinema Series

I am considering replacing my rear Paradigm ADP-170's with the Cinema series surrounds due to a very similar arrangement as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks