Odd setup, need advice for InFocus 4805 setup...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rod Martin, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    Wow. It's been about two years since I've posted here. Times sure have changed!

I'm finally ready to take the plunge and upgrade from my Toshiba 27" screen. I've decided on the InFocus 4805 but setting it up will be interesting...

While I plan to set up a proper theater room in a year or two, setup for now will be in my bedroom. I plan on buying some blackout curtains to block the light from two windows in the room. The wall I want to project towards will be 14' from the projector. Sitting area will have to be only about 9' from "screen". Now here's the odd part...the target wall rises from the floor straight for about 5', then angles in toward the center of the room (roof slope, 2nd story of house), so the height I have to work with is only 5', or a bit more if I pull the target surface away from the wall a bit.

So. With that in mind, what do you suggest for a viewing surface? Painting the wall? Temporary screen? DIY?

Also looking for setup suggestions? I can build a rack for it and mount it there. I would rather not mount it from the ceiling at this point. Very interested to see what you can come up with to make this work![​IMG]

Also, where can I find the best deals on an InFocus?

Thanks!

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

What screen size do you plan on using? Recommended seating distance is 2x of your screen width. At 9ft seating, you should not have a screen over 65" diag. Anything bigger, you will start seeing SDE (screen door effect). The smallest image at 14ft is about 90". You might want to move your seating back a little further if possible.

3. Rod Martin

Rod
    You are right about that. Not gonna work. What I can do is place the projector in front of the bed which would be either a 6' or 8' throw.

4. Rod Martin

Rod
    Okay, so let's go with an 8' throw in this new setup. What are my options, what are your recommendations for what to display the image on?

5. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

At 8' you're going to get around a 60" diagonal image. The image is going to be very bright at this size, which could mean that you see more rainbows and get headaches do to the extreme brightness (keyword "could"). You're definitely going to need to put on a Neutral Density filter to bring down the light output. Movie theater standard for lamp brightness is at 12ftl. It would be ideal to try to achieve this yourself. You can calculate your screen size, projection distance, seating, lamp brightness with the infocus Excel calculator here:
    http://www.infocus.com/service/sp480... rightness.xls

At your distance, I'd recommend projecting at about 62", get a 1.1 gain screen and slap on a ND4 filter.