Odd request: ATI DVI-component adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Shawn Solar, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I have an odd request for this

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/features.html

Its a DVI-component adapter. I was just wondering if any one has one. Its for my ati 9800pro. I don't have cash right now but have dvd player and dvds and such I would willing to trade in full or part. Also have access to any wire that is not electrical. Thanks

Shawn Solar

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Nifty. If you do find one somewhere, please shoot me a PM.

3. GregClarke

GregClarke Stunt Coordinator

4. Shawn Solar

Greg,
    sent you an email

5. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

oh my crap!

ive been messing with powerstrip (messed up 100+ times) for my HDTV. This maybee the answer!

Is it only for ati cards though? DO they make one for Geforce

6. Shawn Solar

I am not sure Dave. This is only to send an HDTV signal to my TV for gaming and such. It converts an analog DVI to component and I believe there is a driver to install as well.

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Nothing for nVidia cards like that and you will likely not find any of the ATi adapters anywhere. I tried forever and then caved in and bought it......cause the $15 shipping is rediculous. There's no driver to be installed either, though they send you a disk with the Catalyst drivers and Remote Wonder drivers. By the way, the picture looks much improved on my 51" RPTV.

8. Shawn Solar

Wayne.....I'm jealous[​IMG]

9. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Well it seems to come up on ATI's site as $50 CDN... The shipping probably should be less than what it cost to go to the US as well. Where do you live in Ontario? If you live near Toronto, you could probably just go over to ATI (In Thornhill) and pick it up and save on the shipping.

I also think you'd have a hard time finding it elsewhere--it looks like ATI proprietary stuff there. But you might be able to find it for a little cheaper if you check some computer stores for it. They might have it or they might be able to get it for you for a little cheaper but I doubt by much.

About the adapter--no I don't believe this will work on other video cards DVI out or not... In fact I think it plugs into the VGA port not the DVI. (Edit: Actually there are two versions one for VGA, the other for DVI).

It is a proprietary ATI device and AFAIK the ATI card(s) it is for have a hardware transcoder built into it to give the special output for this adapter. It either auto-detects the adapter's presence or you have to change something in the driver for it to work.

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

That's an adapter I didn't know about! I've been using the GeForce card and DVI output to a LCD flatscreen for several months now and love the clarity and depth..... now yall have me wanting to run this to my HDTV........

11. Shawn Solar

Hi Roland,

I'm about 2 hours from thornhill at least. I tried at the place that built my computer and they didn't have it. Moneys tight as my brother is getting married in the next few months and my fiancee's in college. I'm still hoping someone may have one that is willing to trade[​IMG]

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter