Odd Question re: Teaching RF Commands

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Curious re: programming of RF remote controls that use IR base stations. Clearly they send their native commands in RF, translating from what has been taught to them from IR remotes in radio frequency (which in turn are received at a base station, converted back to IR and retransmitted to components through IR flashers). What about commands for components that are native RF as well (ex. satellite receivers)? Can you teach an RF remote an RF command from another RF remote, thereby allowing you to consolidate your controls (but not requiring another IR flasher channel at the base station)?

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. If the answer is remote specific I'm considering the Home Theater Master MX-850. Their base station accommodate 6 flashers, which is one short of what I need to control. Freeing up a flasher in the manner above eliminates the need to purchase a second base station.

On a semi-related note, could I simply use dual-head IR flashers instead, thereby doubling capacity of the base station?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm not familar with the MX line that well Jay but you might investigate and see if that base unit can use dual IR emmiters from Xantech etc. I'll see what I can find out though about learning RF directly.