Odd question about the DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I am currently playing dolby digital 5.1 tracks with the use of four speakers and choosing that I do not have a center channel, a rear surround, or a subwoofer. I have them hooked up through multi-channel direct 1. I understand that I need to hit the multi-channel button once on the front of the reciever to activate the audio. I did this and it worked fine. I watched a film but felt that there was a bit too much treble. I went back to the menu screen and added bass to both the fronts and the surrounds under the equalizer menu. This added the extra punch I was looking for at the moment. However when going back to the equalizer menu everything was grayed out.

I have been unable to change the settings again except for one time when they suddenly appeared then went away.... The speakers still play fine. I am just unable to change the settings on them..... How do I make it so that I can go back to the equalizer menu and change the settings? Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I just overlooking something obvious?

Thanks for any help!

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    Are you not using a toslink or digital coax for audio from dvd player(I assume you are using a dvd player as ource) to the dvd digital input on your DA4ES? That will be your best bet for audio since the DA4ES has a great set of DACs and will perform bass management in the digital domain. Multichannel input is only analog in for soucres (DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, CD).

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

No, I was not using that. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that. I was just temporarily using these speakers anyway (they are a friends 100 dollar computer speakers) just to check out if the reciever worked as I am saving up to get more expensive speakers of my own. I assume that then when the audio is hooked up through digital coax that I do not need to pick multi channel direct to access the audio? What do I then pick? Thanks for the help!

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    Not to sound derrogatory, but have you read your manual? It will do a much better job than I describing audio and video hook ups.
    Good luck[​IMG]

5. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    The 4ES can be really easy or it can be tricky... Assuming you're hooking up to the DVD digital input, it's really easy. Hook up and make sure thye input mode is Auto and you're set. If the receiver gets a digital signal it'll play it, otherwise it'll default to analog. If you need to use a different digital input than the DVD one for some reason, you'll beed to go into the Audio Split customize menu and assign the correct input, which can be a bit wierd, but if you play with it a bit I'm sure you'll get it.

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Ok, thank you for all the help. I read the manual Dan but I am still a bit confused. I am ridiculously new to home theater sound and know nothing about it.

Now that I am past that hurdle though, is there a way to hook the dvd player's video up to the reciever via component and then output it on the tv? I am assuming you can do this! I now just have it hooked in to the back of the tv. How should I hook up the reciever to the tv to see dvd video if I have the dvd player hooked up to the reciever via component? I hooked it up via composite monitor out but just got the on-screen options menu. I picked dvd/ld with the remote and same thing. The manual said just to pick dvd/ld and then turn on the dvd player. However, I don't know how I should be connecting the reciever to the tv. Do I need another set of component cables?

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Aaron, If you are using component cables from dvd to receiver, then you need another component cable from receiver(dvd video out) to tv(video in) if you want the DA4ES to be used as component switcher. This is not necesary if you only have one component set of cables. Just hook dvd player component out to tv iinput corresponding to input. Also, your DA4ES will not show an onscreen menu for receiver with component connections, you need to use either s-video or composite for this.