What's new

Odd question about people and banks (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This one baffles me. I have noticed it a dozens of times when I've been at the bank. Why on earth do some people make deposits into their accounts at the ATM when the bank is OPEN? 3 day hold on the full amount via the ATM, vs immediate at the window. The last time I saw someone do this, there was only a very short line, and the ATM stopped working. Rather than just walk inside for a few minutes, after already filling out the deposit information, the woman left. I just don't get it...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There are times when banks are open?

Part of it, I assume, is just force of habit; I'm so used to hitting the ATM after-hours that I don't even think to walk past them into the office, where there are often lines and someone actually looking at how much you're depositing and now have in your account. (Unless, of course, I've got $150 in rolled coins to deposit or something)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I usually make deposits at the ATM if I also want to do a transfer or withdrawal at the same time. Otherwise I use a drive-up teller.

KJP

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I use a credit union, they don't use deposit slips either way.
whats scary is I can (and have) walk in, and withdraw $450 cash, and never produce any form of identification, just give them my last name :eek:
allthough they did hire this really cute teller, I find myself going in more often :b

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Well, I have an account where I get charged for going to the teller, but it's free to use the ATM. Plus, I find it to be quicker.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
a) They charge me if I talk to a teller.
b) I don't have to get out of my car if I use the drive-thru.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Service charges and lineups. There is no hold on my deposits through an ATM, so it's faster and more convenient than waiting in line for a teller. I just wish I could do US dollar deposits through the machines.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Even though my Washington Mutual has quite possibly the worst service ever.
What city are you in, Brett?
I used WaMu for a while as well, and didn't exactly like their service. I use BECU now, and they only have one location in my area. The rest of the time, I have use other banks' ATMs that allow non-member deposits. That's why I don't ever go in!

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I almost never use an ATM to withdraw or deposit. Don't trust those things. I deal with a teller, much easier.
To each their own.:D Personally, I think the teller is more likely to make a mistake than the ATM...
-Nathan Webel
(former bank teller)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
3 day hold on the full amount via the ATM, vs immediate at the window.
Not necessarily.

I don't know how it is in the US, but up here, if you have established a good history with the bank, they will credit your account immediately for ATM deposits, up to a certain amount.

I can deposit up to $1500.00 in an ATM and the money is accessable right away. Since I never deposit even nearly this much, it's not an issue.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Why on earth do some people make deposits into their accounts at the ATM when the bank is OPEN?
Doesn’t anyone here use direct deposit?

I know some companies don't have DD, but are any of you manually depositing when DD is available for you? If so, why?

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
Between direct deposit and the ATM I haven't stepped inside of a bank in more than 6 years. Anyway, here in the Memphis,Tn area going into a bank has become a risky proposition. I think we're one of the highest incidence areas for bank robberies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't have to get out of my car if I use the drive-thru.
They no longer have many of these around here, and certainly not with my CU anyway.
The hold has nothing to do with the country or state, it's the institution's policy. My CU's policy for ATM deposits is 3 days, 50% credited immediately.
I had Direct Deposit for the majority of the last 10 years, but I am now contracting, so I get a real check again :frowning: I almost forgot what my bank looked like. They are right across the street from where I work now though, so it is still convenient. I recently went in to setup an IRA to roll over my 401K from my former employer. :frowning:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm with Wells Fargo- they have ATMs in lots of supermarkets and the account is credited the same day or the next day at latest, depending on what time of day you make the deposit.

I go months at a time without using the ATM at the bank itself, just a quick stop at the local Vons, and haven't actually gone inside the bank in 2 years.

Does anyone know why they have braille markings on the buttons on the drive-up atm? It's not the same machine as the walkup model--specifically designed as a drive-up, so no logical reason for braille--in fact it's downright scary!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks