Odd Laserdisc Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, May 10, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999
    I've owned a number of players throughout the years, but have never gotten around to trying this... Also, I don't know as I ahve ever seen it mentioned before, so I wondered if any laserdiscers had ever done it...

Since AC-3 is modulated and carried on one of the analog channels (the right one I think)-- I've always assumed the modification kits availble to add AC-3 output to a LD player simply tapped into the analog stream for the channel that contained DD AC3, and added a jack for it to be spit out on.

So, I wondered if anyone ever just hooked up the right analog otput from the player into a demodulator? I would assume that if the analog output had the bandwidth equal to the modulated signal, that there would be no reason it wouldn't pass just fine.

Again- seems like a silly question- I'm sure that it is common knowlegde why it does/doesn't work-- but since I missed the heyday of Laser and have never seen it mentioned, I just wondered.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    I can't give you the technical reasons, but I know it doesn't work. There's some sort of processing applied to the analog signal before it reaches the output; the signal has to be tapped before that processing in order to get the RF-modulated AC-3.

I'm sure Rachael will know.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    Vince, the right analog was the one that was used to feed the RF line out of LD players that had RF outs. I'm not talking about AC-3 RF out, I'm talking about the older players that had an RF output. I have an early 80's Magnavox toploader that has an RF in and out. The first player I bought was the LD-838D in 1987. By that time they had forgotten the RF pass-thru but the 838 gave you the option of using composite video or it's RF output.

In '95 I saw advertised in Stereo Review a box to use the RF output of so-equiped players to get the AC-3 RF out that'a way. I can't remember who made it but I do remember it cost $450, which seemed ridiculous to me since you could buy one of the cheaper AC-3 equiped player for those clams. That's the only other way to get AC-3 RF that I know of besides the regular way. Best wishes!