Odd Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I'm using cable internet, and last Saturday I tried to hook up a router. It failed (miserably), and I unhooked it the same day, and my modem was working fine.

It's probably unrelated, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a "just in case". My internet's been acting a little screwy today (so 5 or 6 days since unhooking the router, it's worked fine). A lot of pictures won't load, and lots of websites give a Cannot Find Server error. These websites include Yahoo, Rolling Stone, Buy, Digital Bits, and others. But lots of websites load just fine. I clicked the Detect Network Settings link it provided, but it didn't do anything. Anyone have an idea what this might be?

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Unexplained outages are the norm. I have had both telephone and cable high-speed connections over the last 4 years, the cable was by far the worst, a day out here, an hour out there..

If you log it all down, and chase the company, you can get rebates, but I'm sure most people don't have the time..

Home computers and the internet are not as reliable as the telephone...

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Sorry. I disagree completely. I've had DSL for several years now and the only time that I remember having an unplanned outage was when a massive electrical storm went through the ISP's core network location and knocked it down for about six hours.

Otherwise, I've never had a connectivity problem that lasted more than a few minutes and even then occurred in the middle of the night. I haven't had to use a modem from home for many years.

The quality depends on several factors, not the least of which are the attitude of the physcial plant staff, the distance from the local hub, and other things that could interfere with a signal. Even bad wiring within the house can cause problems.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I know I was getting that to a few days ago but it was because we were testing a new area near by so it was sheduled outages very short though, I work for Comcast by the way here in Washington, speed drops can unfortunately be caused by a lot of things when it comes to the net, what pop's you're going through etc thats kind of the pain of a network as large as the internet its only as fast as your weakest link.

7. Monte Montoya

Monte Montoya Auditioning

Ok about the router issue and failing miserably... Depending on the router you may need to go through the set up. Most cable modems need to have the mac address of the cable modem be the one that the dchp server is talking to. Cable modems are enabled by mac address. This is to make sure that people don't just hook up any modem and get an Internet connection and to regulate the bandwidth package that you are paying for. You may just need to go through the router set up and tell it to emulate the mac address of the modem.

8. Monte Montoya

Monte Montoya Auditioning

I just had some other thoughts on your router problem. Are you using a USB connection and trying to hook up your router? You need to have an ethernet connection on your pc to connect to a router. If you do have an ethernet connection you should have your modem connected to the cable the cable modem's ethernet connection connected to the wan side of the router the LAN side of router should connect to the pc's ethernet connection and then try rebooting the modem and wait for it to connect again, then reboot the router and wait for it to connect and then reboot your pc. If all else fails read the routers manual or offer some beer to your favorite nerd to get your router hooked up. It will probably take him or her less time to get it working than it will to finish his or her first beer.

Monte