Odd HD-A1 Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark_TB, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

Jun 6, 2005
    I've been playing with my new HD-A1 for the past week, and for the most part I've been very happy with it. However, I encountered an odd problem today that I haven't seen addressed here before, although I haven't read every thread on the forum. If this has been brought up before, I apologize and hope someone will point me to the right thread.

Anyway, today I thought it would be fun to do an A/B comparison of the HD and SD versions of SERENITY, using the HD-A1 and my old Pioneer DVD player, since both are connected to my Sony 34XBR960.

I started up the SD disc, followed by the HD-DVD. (I wanted them to be synched up so I could switch back and forth for a better comparison.) When I switched the monitor's input from the HD-DVD (HDMI) to the component input for the Pioneer, the Toshiba stopped playing its disc and flashed "NO HDMI LINK"!

After playing with the set-up for awhile, I've determined that the Sony's HDMI input HAS to be selected while the HD-A1 is playing; if I switch to another input, the HD-A1 apparently reads it as an HDMI disconnection and stops playback altogether. When I switch the Sony back to its HDMI input, the disc will work again, but it has to start up from the beginning.

Needless to say, this could be very annoying if one wants to stop a movie momentarily and check out something on the TV receiver or on another input. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas to get around this?

2. MarkA

MarkA Stunt Coordinator

Dec 23, 1999
    I've changed the input on my Sony XRB tv and I have lost the link. I also tried to turn off the tv since the player didn't default to a screensaver and left the hd-dvd player on but that also lost the link.
  3. Chris Will

Chris Will Supporting Actor

Jan 7, 2003
    Chris WIlliams
    This must have more to do with your Sony TV. With my Samsung DLP, I have switched inputs, switch cables and even turned the TV off and back on (to get into the service menu) all without the HD-A1 stopping play of the HD-DVD.