What's new

odd cover tunes... (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I don't know why I thought of this, but I wanted to come up with a list of bands whose choice of cover tunes just made you go...Huh? For instance, my own personal favorite cover tune:
1. Revolting Cocks - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. - The first time I heard Al Jourgenson singing the refrain I couldn't stop laughing.
2. Rod Stewart - Downtown Train - This is a cover of a Tom Waits tune. The only time Rod Stewart and Tom Waits will be mentioned in the same breath.
3. ??? - 99 Luftballons. - Help me out guys, a band covered this Nena "classic" and I do not know who it is. ***Interesting sidenote: A friend of mine had a buddy who was a DJ for a local radio station for ONE DAY. He accidentally played this song (the original) 5 times in a row, uninterupted. He was then fired.
I'd like to hear Primus cover Dead Man's Party by Danny Elfman.
I'm curious as to what you guys have heard, or want to hear.
Jason

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I always wanted to hear Bob Dylan sing Sympathy for the Devil. I used to sing it, imitating Bob as best I could. Drove people nuts.
biggrin.gif

The Ramones do the best cover tunes. Ever. Period.
S.O.D.s version of Judas Priest's Diamonds and Rust sucks. Thankfully, it is short lived.
wink.gif

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Type O Negative a dark metal band covered
Seals & Crofts' Summer Breeze & Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl
S.O.D.s version of Judas Priest's Diamonds and Rust sucks. Thankfully, it is short lived
Actually thats S.O.Ds cover of Judas Preist's cover of Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust.
wink.gif

muskie

Agent
Cake on Fashion Nuggets does both Donna Summers and Willie Nelson covers! There are a bunch of odd Willie Nelson covers on an album called "Twisted Willie". I have an album called "Lounge-a-polooza" which has a lounge version of "Black Hole Sun". I have an entire album of Moog Synthesiser versions of 'alt rock' songs like Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam and the like.
I have a lot of odd covers. Helmet is great for covers. They do Bjorks "Army of Me" on the original M.O.M. album and also a cartoon theme song (Gigantor) on the Cartoon Theme Song cover album.
Speaking of "Sympathy for the Devil" my favorite cover of that is a live version by Jane's Addiction which medley's into Lou Reed's "Rock n' Roll".
I have a pile of Neil covers including an all Bluegrass cover album. I mentioned Rage Against the Machine did an all cover album, with some less then obvious choices. I have a version of "Dead Hommies" done by the Supersuckers which is pretty cool.
One odd one, is the Dayglow Abortions doing "I write the songs".
I know a lot of covers, thats just a few off the top of my head first thing in the morning.
Muskie
------------------

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Back in 1997, Pat Boone released an album called "Pat Boone in a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy". Here's the track listing:
1. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
2. Smoke On The Water
3. It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N Roll)
4. Panama
5. No More Mr. Nice Guy
6. Love Hurts
7. Enter Sandman
8. Holy Diver
9. Paradise City
10. The Wind Cries Mary
11. Crazy Train
12. Stairway To Heaven
And please note that I had to go to CDNow.com to look this up! I haven't had the "pleasure" of hearing these tracks myself. :) Although, as a long time GN'R fan, Pat's cover of Paradise City beckons. . .
biggrin.gif

-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
If you guys like the crazy covers, check out Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. This is really great stuff. Also check out The Papillomas doing Loverboys "Workin' For The Weekend" on their "Corolla" CD(shameless personal plug
biggrin.gif
)
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
99 Luftballons. - Help me out guys, a band covered this Nena "classic" and I do not know who it is. ***Interesting sidenote: A friend of mine had a buddy who was a DJ for a local radio station for ONE DAY. He accidentally played this song (the original) 5 times in a row, uninterupted. He was then fired.
This has been covered by 100 different bands, I find the version from GOLDFINGER to be the silliest balls out rock version of them all. But 7 Seconds and I think even Wilco have taken stabs at this.
My favorite covers are:
Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl" as done by Jawbox
Mellencamp's "Pink Houses" as done by Avail
Velvet Underground's "she comes down now done" as done by Nirvana
GG Allin's "I wanna fuck myself" as done by Faith No More
Nike Drake's "Pink Moon" as done by Walt Mink
Really Jawbox and Faith No More get honorable mention for all their covers- they remade some really interesting songs.
Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl" as done by Jawbox
I've never picked this one up because I had heard it was done as a joke since they hated her. This has not been verified, but it also hasn't been disputed.
Speaking of Tori Amos, she, for me, is the all-time cover Queen. Between concerts and her upcoming album, she does a ton of cover material. My favorite is Imagine, but I love all of them. Because she tours with different instrumentation all the time, even the covers evolve in concert. Lovesong by the cure has been done on piano, harpsichor, and with the band - sounding quite differently every time.
It is my goal to own every Tori cover - and every cover of Tori :>.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Velvet Underground's "she comes down now done" as done by Nirvana
Actually, it's "Here She Comes Now".
wink.gif
I'm kinda surprised that you picked this one Vince, as it's not too different a reading from the original VU version. Nirvana's cover of Devo's Turnaround is pretty wacky. I wish they had done an official cut of "The Money Will Roll Right In" ... can't remember who originally did that one.
Type O Negative does some good covers. Along with the already mentioned Cinnamon Girl and Summer Breeze, they do a nice medley on their last studio album of The Beatles' Day Tripper / I Want You (She's So Heavy) / If I Needed Someone. They also do a really nasty live version of The Doors' Light My Fire, and that can be found on the usual mp3 sites.
Wackiest cover tune? William Shatner's Mr. Tambourine Man. You can hear this and other great (?) celebrity songs here: http://www.fadetoblack.com/hallofshame/

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Marilyn Manson do a Eurhytmics tune?
Emerson, Lake and Palmer covered lots of classical stuff. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was silly, but it was always fun. They added original music and vocals to Mussourgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition. They re-did the Nutcracker Suite as the NutRocker. And of course, Aaron Copeland's Hoedown.
No discussion of covers is complete without mentioning the king of covers, Joe Cocker.
Transatlantic does a neat Beatles medley on their new live album.
How 'bout Frank Zappa? On the 1988 tour, he performed Beatles songs but substituted the lyrics for ones about Jimmy Swaggart. After an audience member yelled out, "Whipping Post!" during a concert, the band learned it and released it.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Devo's cover of "Satisfaction" is certainly unique.
R.E.M. covered Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" and the disco classic (and overplayed) "I Will Survive" on fan club 45s. Don't forget their version of "Wichita Lineman" on one of their singles.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: WarGames , Open Your Eyes , Waiting for Guffman , Maelstrom , Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection
Most recent column: Panning P&S
[Edited last by Mark Pfeiffer on September 04, 2001 at 02:15 PM]

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
here's a motley crew..... Circa 1990, new Elektra artists covering old elektra artists....
http://www.geocities.com/chapmanist/rubaiyat.html
Disc 1 :
1. The Cure (Hello I Love You by the Doors)
2. Tracy Chapman (House of the Rising Sun, traditional, Glenn Yarbrough) 3. Billy Bragg (Seven & Seven Is by Love)
4. Jevetta Steele (I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing by New Seekers)
5. Gipsy Kings (Hotel California by the Eagles)
6. The Black Velvet Band (Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon)
7. The Sugarcubes (with Bjork) (Motorcycle Mama by Sailcat)
8. Shinehead (One Meatball by Josh White)
9. The Havalinas (Bottle of Wine by Tom Paxton)
10. Pixies (Born in Chicago by Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
11. Faster Pussycat (You're So Vain by Carly Simon)
12. Kronos Quartet (Marquee Moon by Television, Tom Verlaine's band)
13. Phoebe Snow (Get Ourselves Together by Delaney & Bonnie)
14. Happy Mondays (who later became Black Grape) (Tokoloshe Man by John Kongos)
15. Ernie Isley (Let's Go by the Cars with Ric Ocasek)
16. Lynch Mob (Going Down by Don Nix & the Alabama State Troupers)
17. Ambitious Lovers (A Little Bit of Rain by Fred Neil)
18. Anita Baker (You Belong to Me by Carly Simon)
19. Howard Jones (Road to Cairo by David Ackles)
Disc 2 :
1. The Big F (Kick Out the Jams by MC5)
2. The Georgia Satellites (Almost Saturday Night / Rockin' All Over the World by John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival)
3. Sara Hickman (Hello, I Am Your Heart by Dennis Linde)
4. Teddy Pendergrass (I'd Like to Make It with You by Bread)
5. Linda Ronstadt (The Blacksmith, traditional, Kathy & Carol)
6. Bill Frisell / Robin Holcomb / Wayne Horvitz (Going Going Gone by Bob Dylan)
7. Jackson Browne (First Girl I Loved by Incredible String Band)
8. 10,000 Maniacs (These Days by Jackson Browne)
9. Metallica (Stone Cold Crazy by Queen)
10. Danny Gatton (Apricot Brandy by Rhinoceros)
11. Shaking Family (Union Man by The Cate Brothers)
12. They Might Be Giants (One More Parade by Phil Ochs)
13. Howard Hewett (I Can't Tell You Why by the Eagles)
14. Leaders of the New School (Mt. Airy Groove by Pieces of a Dream)
15. Shirley Murdock (You Brought the Sunshine by The Clark Sisters)
16. John Eddie (Inbetween Days by the Cure)
17. The Beautiful South (Love Wars by Womack & Womack)
18. Michael Feinstein (Both Sides Now by Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell)
19. John Zorn (TV Eye) (T.V. Eye by The Stooges, Iggy Pop, Iggy and the Stooges)
20. The Cure (Hello, I Love You, slight return, by the Doors.
------------------
"I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's "Here She Comes Now". I'm kinda surprised that you picked this one Vince, as it's not too different a reading from the original VU version. Nirvana's cover of Devo's Turnaround is pretty wacky.
Sorry, standing corrected-- was at school when I typed the response, so i didn't have the compilation in front of me. It is a pretty spot on cover, but Nirvana did really have a talent for making songs interesting- Kurt had a silly straight for the jugualr pop-hook sense and so he would always strip things down to the gooey cener, so to speak.
Another interesting cover I've thought of since then is the Jane's Addiction version of the Grateful Dead's "Ripple". The Dead is a nother band I could never really stand- but this song is really good, and Janes did it really well.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My two favorite recent weird covers are Dynamite Hack doing "Boyz in the Hood" a year or so ago and the more recent Alien Ant Farm doing MJ's "Smooth Criminal".
laugh.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

muskie

Agent
Ministry doing the Dead, "Friend of the Devil" in concert at Neil Young's Bridge Benefit, available on CD.
I saw a celtic band doing a cover of this in a bar in Ottawa, I was so shocked I got up from my seat walked over to front of the stage caught the attention of the mandolin player and we had a moment.
Shouts out to The Papillomas booster us Islanders got to stick together, even if I am displaced...
I saw the Supersuckers, during a country set do a version of "Breaking the Law" complete with disco ball twirling that was well recieved, much more so then there encore cover of "Help me make it through the night".
A well known, at least in the UK 'odd' cover is "Wonder Wall" lounge style by Mike Flowers Pops. The album also has a Doors cover, a Prince cover, and a Medley of Velvet Underground covers.
Extra bonus Bridge benefit cover, Metallica on accoustic instuments with John Popper sitting in doing "Tuesday's Gone" by Skynard. Not available legally on CD but the bootleggers have it...
Muskie
Favorite Supersuckers cover done live is "Get it on" by Turbo Negro, I was so impressed I hunted down the Turbo Negro album while in Europe...
------------------

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Extra bonus Bridge benefit cover, Metallica on accoustic instuments with John Popper sitting in doing "Tuesday's Gone" by Skynard. Not available legally on CD but the bootleggers have it...
It's on disc 1 of Garage, Inc. :)
Actually, I guess that's from their acoustic radio show and NOT from the Bridge Benefit, but Popper sits in on that song, and I think Pepper Martin from Butthole Surfers does too. (?)
------------------
DVDs | CDs
"While the police are at it, they should find out where my intern is. I asked for those copies 20 minutes ago!"

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
And no one has mentioned William Shatner covering "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" ?????
Or how about Van Halen covering the Kinks "You Really Got Me".... and then the Kinks putting this harder-rock version on their live album complete with a pseudo-"Eruption" intro....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
A few from my collection....
Stanley Brothers /Hank Ballard's Finger Poppin' Time
Jerry Lee Lewis /1st Edition's Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)
Led Zeppelin / Joan Baez’s version of Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
Jim
Bill Shatner covering Lucy In The Sky....????
Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck? Next you'll be telling me he recorded Mr. Tambourine Man

laugh.gif

[Edited last by Jim Armstrong on September 04, 2001 at 06:41 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks