What's new

odd couple season 1...again (1 Viewer)

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
as most of us know, on April 24th, the Odd Couple season 1 will be released again, this time by paramount.

TSOD has released the official word and street date as well as new box art.

now heres my question.

even if the extras are the same, will any of you buy it again, cause it seems to have a different cover and might come ina keep case, like the MASH series.

Though goin by the pictures of a case is not always how it will end up packaging.

I think i'll get it, just cause my digipak from Time-life is already showing wear.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

My discs live inside my DVD 300 disc jukebox. I couldn't care less about the box. As far as I'm concerned the quality on the Time-Life set was superb with great extras. The most important question remains, however, which is...When will the rest of the series be released?!?!

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
This set will probably be priced at about $28.00 dollars or so. Which is about $12.00 less than what I paid through time life.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see a picture of the new box, if anyone can accomodate me.

I'm very happy with the Time Life set, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open to see what people think of the "new" version and what, if anything, is different.

But yeah - let's get the rest of the series out already, and FAST!! :frowning:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!

If anything, this is a positive sign. Maybe the Time Life sets did well enough to inspire confidence in Paramount.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'll pick this up when it comes out. While I couldn't wait for Get Smart, I waited for the Odd Couple. I'm sure Costco will have it for a low price when it comes out (as is usual with their season sets).

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
The new DVD will have a fifth disc with 4 episodes from other seasons.

This is a good sign that Paramount took the time to make the set different from the Time Life release. Also, this could mean that they are restoring the other seasons.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

This is a BAD sign that Paramount does not care at all about the customers who already purchased the season 1 set through Time Life. I doubt they will make this disc available to T-L customers with a proof-of-purchase mail-in offer or anything. Between this and Paramount's bonus-disc inclusion in the Brady Bunch Complete Series set, they are giving the finger to devoted fans who already bought the series.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I also see this as a sign that they may not be interested in releasing anymore seasons other than season 1, since the 5th disc can be considered a "best of the rest" disc. :frowning:

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I could've sworn that I read a poster last year mention that Paul Brownstein and Co. had already worked out the special features for the remaining season sets (in particular, an American Airlines commercial, I think, that was scheduled to be included on Season 3). I may be a victim of faulty memory, though. Can anyone remember this?

I'm not as worried about the special "extra" episodes on this set if T-L and/or Paramount continue releasing the season sets. HOWEVER, I think T-L and Paramount need to be upfront with the customers who bought Season 1 already as to if there will be any future releases through T-L or if the season sets will now be released via retail. I don't want to have to rebuy S1 again to get a couple of additional episodes, if they're going to be released at a later date.

It's going to be a bummer if this is it for the Odd Couple, and the more I think about it, it's still going to be a bit of a bummer if T-L continues the exclusive season sets knowing that people buying via retail will be able to enjoy S2-S5 episodes before future sets are released. I dunno, but with this news (and the Brady Bunch extra-disc complete set), I think Paramount has taken the early lead as the most evil studio of 2007.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

It's a case of Tony and Jack liking the later episodes and wanting some of them to appear on the set.

Gord

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused about something. I thought that Time Life had exclusive rights to the set for 1 year. The T-L set was released in August 2006, this set is coming out in April 2007which is far short of a year. Am I remembering incorrectly?

I'm kinda bummed about missing out on the 5th disc option. But having paid $35 for the T-L set, I'm not going to re-purchase the entire set in April just for 4 episodes.

This was my first time buying from T-L and I probably won't do so again, if I can wait a few months and get the set at a cheaper price and with additional extras. I passed on Get Smart because I wasn't prepared to shell out the $$$ for a full series set on what would be a "blind buy" for me. Hopefully it will soon be available regular retail as well.

I just hope that Paramount WILL follow through on the additional seasons for Odd Couple, so that I"ll eventually get all the eps. All the Season 1 eps were new for me, and I greatly enjoyed them.

I'll just have to Netflix Disc 5 when it's released in April.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

I do not recall The Odd Couple having a 1-year exclusivity deal; I know Get Smart does, so you may be confusing the two.

BTW, I bought Get Smart as a blind buy and shelled out the $$ (albeit with a discount) and have not regretted it one bit. It's been a lot of fun discovering that show. I just wish T-L would have released The Odd Couple as a complete series set as well instead of this BS with the bonus disc in stores.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
But what would that have to do with anything? They're not looking to get off the hook for releasing other seasons, they have no obligation to do so in the first place. They're just looking to goose sales, and a bonus disc seems a reasonable way to do it.

I mean, why would they release the first season at all (which, again, they have no obligation to do) and then add a bonus disc as an excuse to stop there (an excuse they don't need, anyway)? All it would achieve is to increase their own cost, a counterproductive move if the goal of it is to quash further seasons. It makes no sense!

Really, it's silly to read such things as signs. They're offering a product for sale, hoping it will make a profit so they can continue to offer more of the same, at more profit. There are no ulterior motives, no hidden agendas. It's actually very simple and direct.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even realize there's going to be a 5th disc with a few "extra episodes". :frowning: But I don't think we can know what Paramount's intent with Disc 5 is at this time -- is it to wet the viewers' appetites and make casual purchasers interested in further seasons? Is it to just say "goodnight" and leave it at this with no more seasons ever? Is it to trick buyers of the Time Life set into re-purchasing the new Season 1 just to get a few more episodes?

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
The more I’ve thought about it, I’m now not entirely convinced this is a “one-and-done” release. Sure, for die-hard fans and completists, the inclusion of bonus eps has always been a strange offer (hey, we’re going to buy these eps anyway in future sets), but maybe Paramount is trying to entice casual viewers into showing them what’s to come in future sets. At least, I hope that’s their intentions.

I’m not rebuying this set (although it does feature what appears to be better packaging than the T-L non-slipcase set sent out this past summer). But judging from the lack of any solicitation for S2 from T-L, is Paramount going to gauge future season set releases on the basis of how well this retail set sells? That’s what worries me (and Paramount’s track record of speedy releases of other Garry Marshall-related series has not been that stellar). I don’t know how well the T-L S1 release did. Outside of the Internet, I never really saw any promotion for it anywhere in the “real world.” In fact, a few fellow Odd Couple fans have seen the S1 set sitting in my bookcase and didn’t know it had even been released. I’m going to have a little faith that S2 will be coming, but when and where is the question for me.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t know how well the T-L S1 release did. Outside of the Internet, I never really saw any promotion for it anywhere in the “real world.” In fact, a few fellow Odd Couple fans have seen the S1 set sitting in my bookcase and didn’t know it had even been released. I’m going to have a little faith that S2 will be coming, but when and where is the question for me.[/quote]

I too have wondered about this. As many Time Life informercials as I see for their various music collections, I've seen not one single solitary TV ad for The Odd Couple set. Yet there was a brief time when Time Life had the set was on back order making me wonder if they sold more units than expected. I just don't see how it could have generated any record breaking sales if the general public was unaware of its existence.

Did anyone see a "non-internet" ad for the series?

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

What exactly is known about the bonus episodes? In other words, are they bonus episodes or just a bonus 5th disk that Paramount is throwing in as a teaser? How is it known that there are going to be 4 bonus episodes in this set? Because Paramount according to TVShowsondvd does not give out extras info until a few months before release.

Does anyone know how sales of the Time Life Season 1 sets did?

Jack

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
According to TV Shows On DVD, they are indeed bonus episodes, not just a bonus disk of special features.

The Episodes are:
1.The Sleepwalker(Season 2)
2. Password (Season 3)
3. Last Tango in Newark (Season 4)
4. The New Car (Season 4)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks