What's new

Odd Couple on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Sad news in the entertainment world today. We mourn the passing of Tony Randall. He was 84. What a legacy he's left behind.

I was a child in the 1970's and remember watching "The Odd Couple". Wonderful show. It had a five year run: 1970-75. Randall won an Emmy for his portrayal of Felix Unger in the series.

I'm just curious, how many of you would like to see this series come out on dvd? Would you buy season sets of "The Odd Couple" if they were available?

Tony Randall (1920-2004)

We will miss you Tony....

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
There's been a thread on this somewhere, but I don't mind making my voice heard again. I loved THE ODD COUPLE, and I'd buy every season of this show on DVD in a heartbeat. How about it, Paramount? :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
It's the only show Garry Marshall ever made that never "Jumped The Shark". Count me in on buying every single season. I love this show and will miss Tony Randall. Rest in peace, friend.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
It would be great for a DVD release though Season 1 is like MTM a very weak one. Season 1 of Odd Couple suffers by trying to emulate the play and the movie too much, and was also done with a laugh track and not done in front of an audience.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
That's true about Season 1. Single camera, canned laughter, original apartment from the movie.
It was the insistance of Tony Randall that they change all of that, 3 camera, live audience and new apartment. Although the change did phase out the Pidgeon sisters, it did introduce Gloria and Blanche.
If there was a decline in the last 2 seasons, it was the hit and miss of celebrity guest stars. Although I thought people like Howard Cossell and Bobby Riggs worked, opera stars like Marlyn Horne and Richard Fredericks were good, but not as good, IMO. Regardless, it was a good show from start to finish, it did not fall into mediocrity.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the one thing I did appreciate is that the guest stars allowed some stars of different mediums to get some attention. I'm not an opera fan but Tony Randell was and he helped to at least spread the word. As for the 1st season I enjoyed it as much as the others and it did have more of a connection to the film with Murray and speed and the poker games.

"There's Pits...Pits...Pits..in my Juice...Juice...Juice!...."

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
This show should definitely come to DVD. Now that paramount is releasing their phase 1 titles, I think they should add Odd Couple and Get Smart to their phase 2 releases.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
And who can forget the famous scene when Felix describes the meaning of "assume" on the blackboard? :laugh:

Randy_Cre

Agent
I've always wondered if that scene was the first time the "assume" bit was done, my viewing of TV shows and movies didn't really preceed that time, so I never knew if it was new or just a re-hash of an old gag.

Whatever the answer is, it was a classic, that I think was only topped when Michael Keaton's parody of it in "Night Shift" with his breakdown of the word "prostitution." I can never see one bit without thinking of the other.

I'd definitely buy any and all seasons released, it was probably the first 'grown-up' comedy that I started watching as a kid.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

I said that to one of my co-workers and she said that she thought her college proffesor made it up! I had to tell her otherwise.

Anyway, I would love to see it come to DVD.

And let's not forget the remake with Ron Glass as Felix and... Uh, on second thought, let's forget that one!

Ric

Mark To

Supporting Actor
It is one of the funniest shows of all time, definitely Top 10. Unfortunately Paramount has so many, many shows that it could be years before they might ever get around to this one. Sorry to be so negative but going by syndication popularity, an awful show like Brady Bunch will come before Odd Couple or Get Smart and they aren't even doing that one yet. If Viacom, Paramount, Worldvision, Spelling and Republic were still seperate companies they could each release their own shows. Paramount has all 5 but they aren't releasing shows as fast as 5 seperate entities would have. Mega-mergers suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks