Odd Couple camparison - 47TX vs AVR 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Baloga, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Jim Baloga

Jim Baloga Agent

I know one cost $2,000 and the other $650 but this is the two price points I ended up at.

I am replacing an old Pioneer VSX-D1S, I purchased a Pioneer 811s and was unhappy with the sound quality compared to my older receiver. So I purchased the Harman Kardon 520, It was better but not equal to the D1S. So I figured “let me get the 47tx, if it doesn’t sound substantially better than the H/K 520 I can return it”

I just got the 47tx…

Man is this thing heavy, it looks great, it feels great, and I’m a pioneer guy, it just feels right.

I hook it up and start ripping some music into the B&W 603 S2’s. Clear, rich very realistic sound. These speakers don’t stop impressing me, I put everything the 47tx had to them, and they were crystal clear, I love those speakers.

My first thought was that this does sound 3x’s better than the HK, my wife even noticed how happy I was (couldn’t wipe the grin off my face). I figured it was finished for the HK. Let me just plug the HK in to be fair.

Holy crap, the H/K has a bigger base punch, but it’s brighter than the 47tx. Doesn’t sound bad though, let me switch them back.

I did this about 10 times and concluded that the 47tx was not worth the price difference to me. The HK performed at about 80-90% of the 47tx, except for the last 10% of the volume, the HK was breaking up a bit, the pioneer had those B&W ripping.

Most of the testing was done a extremely loud volume, the lower volume differences were even less significant. I am going to audition some music at a lower listening level tonight, but feel that my decision will be with the HK.

Am I correct in thinking that the differences in home theater would be very little, Isn’t music more difficult to get to sound good.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Jim:

I had a similiar experience.. I purchased a Onkyo 595 and luved it. Upgraded to the HK520 and man was it better than the great sounding 595.

I went thru many convulsions taking the 520 back but I didn't like the remote and I wanted DD-EX. I luved the 520.

So I took it back and just happened by Soundwaves and purchased a new 45 TX. I luv the 45 TX.

I don't think the sound is any better than the 520 - its hard to beat the 520 especially for the money. But, the 520 is not better than the Pioneer. I do like the remote and I also like the auto MCACC on the 45TX. This did do a better job than I could do with the HK setting up and compensating for my speakers.

It also has the DD-EX and is THX certified (I'm not sure that means anything). It also has 7 amps - although I plan on using the preouts for two channels.

If you can wait - the new 525 is supposed to be out in the next few months. Also the Onkyo 800 and Denon 3803. I just couldn't wait and I think the 45 is and will be a good competitor to any of the above.

You might consider the 45 TX instead of the 47 - It can be purchased for between 850 and $1000. and the price in my mind made the difference.

But if you stay with the 520 - you surely have not gone wrong - its really just features I think and price and personnal preference between these receivers.

I really don't think one could go wrong.

Mike