What's new

Odd bug w/ Comcast dual-tuner PVR (1 Viewer)

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
I just had this installed yesterday, and it's already giving me grief. I can watch it, switch between tuners, record two channels, etc., etc. But if I turn it off, then turn it back on again, there's no picture or sound. The TV guide graphics are there, and I can change the channels, but they're all blank.

The only workaround I found is to go into the PVR menu and start playing back something that's been recorded. After it starts playing back, i hit stop, and the picture and sound are back on all channels. Is this a known bug or am I going to have to call Comcast?

Oh, btw, the guy who installed it may have taken the user's manual for the cable box. I think he left the manual in the cardboard box that the PVR came in, and then took the box with him so I wouldn't be "troubled" by throwing it away myself. Bah! (That's assuming it came with a manual to begin with...)

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Still awaiting my installation (Comcast was supposed to do it between noon and 4pm yesterday; they called to say it'd be after 4pm, instead. My son was there to let them in and show them which TVs and rooms got which DVR (I'm out of town on business) - and they wouldn't do the install b/c he's under 18!! WTF! They couldn't tell me, when I ordered and scheduled the install "oh, someone over 18 HAS to sign for the install, or we won't do it"??!)

Try the AVS forum - there's a 50-some page thread on the 6412 and iGuide, with lots of workarounds for certain problems, but it's also likely you have a bad box. There's a pdf link there for the manual to the 6412 and its remote - Comcast usually supplies nothing w/ the install, per that thread.

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
I searched the AVS forum, and I couldn't find the thread. I used the search terms "Comcast," "6412," "iGuide," and "Motorola." I didn't find any 50+ post thread. Allan, could you like to it, please?

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
Follow up: turns out all I had to do was unplug it for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. It's worked fine since. This is aparently a known bug...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks