Octopussy

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Dias, Feb 10, 2005.

1. David Dias

David Dias Stunt Coordinator

I just got Octopussy on DVD and noticed something weird. When you press stop, the screen shows "Diamonds are Forever" instead of "Octopussy". Not the menu mind you, but the image on the display after you press Stop. I'm guessing somebody messed up and put the diamonds are forever "wallpaper" on the disc instead of Octopussy.

Can someone else please pop this disc in and verify the same thing happens, or is it just my copy? Thanks a bunch.

2. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

David,

My first Octopussy DVD had this issue along with the missing subtitles. My "The Living Daylights" DVD was missing subtitles as well.

Go to chapter 12 at the 37:00 mark when Bond flips the guy on the bed of nails. Another guy says something that should have "Get off my bed!" in subtitles. If the subtitles aren't there, you can exchange the disc with MGM. It's a known problem.

Here's their customer service number:

1-877-MGM-4YOU

You'll get a faster response by calling them but my first call did get a clueless employee. I called back and got someone different.

Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

All of the following Bond DVDs have a potential problem. If you have these, check those areas listed on your DVD. MGM has an exchange program for all four of these.

From DVD Talk:

The Man with the Golden Gun - In Chapter 21, at approximately 81:30, at the beginning of the car chase, the disc will pixelate and lock up on many DVD players due to a mastering error.

Octopussy - In Chapter 12, at approximately 37:00, Bond flips a bad guy onto a bed of nails. The owner of the bed says something and the English subtitle translation is missing ("Get off my bed!")

Never Say Never Again - In Chapter 19, at approximately 65:50. There are about 4 minutes of footage missing from this point, the beginning of the second layer of the disc. The missing footage starts right after Bond gives a cigarette case to a security guard in a closet and tells him it's a bomb. Scenes from this missing footage include Bond saying his line, "My name is Bond, James Bond." to Domino as she stands in front of an arcade game machine and Bond having a conversation with Largo as Largo stands behind a bar. Largo challenges Bond to play the game in this scene.

The Living Daylights - In Chapter 7, at approximately 19:30. After the plant worker pushes her supervisor off of her bosom, there are missing English subtitles which translate her words ("What kind of girl do you think I am!)"

3. David Dias

Dave, you're a big help, my DVD also is missing those subtitles apart from having the other problem I brought up. I'll get in touch with MGM to see about getting an exchange.

Thanks again Dave, I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I once followed the exchange procedure and only got new copies of the same defective discs. If you call now, they're likely to be clueless of any problems.

5. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Actually, a friend of mine had OP and TLD replaced less than a month ago due to the subtitles and got the corrected discs. MGM still has the exchange program in place as of last month. I had no problems myself.

6. Bill GrandPre

Well, I shot off an e-mail to both of those addresses (I'll call the 877 number on Monday when they reopen) and a third address I saw in the Rocky Bonus Disc thread (I believe it was [email protected]) and I hope that they'll finally be able to remedy this. I sent the defective discs back at my own expense, only to recieve new copies of discs with the same defects, and when I called back they were all pretty clueless. I have all 3 of the second-run box sets and I would like to have corrected versions of all the discs. I'll remain optimistic that they got their act together.

7. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

They gave my friend an address of where to mail the discs and they had him include a letter describing the situation. I went through the same procedure not that long ago myself. They refused to send out a prepaid mailer. They also replaced the coverart from three of the films for me.

I would try that number. On my first call, I got a young girl that was clueless. I waited and called back and talked to another csr who knew all about it.

8. David Dias

I called the number and had no problems, I explained what the problem was and the guy knew all about it. I highly recommend giving them a call instead of emailing if you have the same problem.

9. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Good to hear David.[​IMG]

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Didn't the Living Daylights also have a framing issue? In the film, there is a scene when Bond lures Pushkin's bodyguard into the hotel room and there is a nude woman whose breasts are visible. The mis-framed disc cuts off the scene at the woman's shoulders.

Glad to hear these replacements are still available. I have had the discs for about 5 years but never got around to replacing them. I certainly will now. Thanks for the above info.

11. Bill GrandPre

I actually called *and* e-mailed the first time I attempted this and I never recieved any reply from e-mail. I was using AOL at the time and in hindsight I think their spam blocker was stopping the e-mails. In any case, I'm trying both methods this time because I really want to have the corrected discs. I've been dissatisfied with my 007 collection altogether because I'm picky about having these two faulty discs.

12. Bill GrandPre

Well, they responded to my e-mail and they have assured me that I won't have to re-send my DVD's and that they'll verify that they're the corrected discs from a more recent printing before they send them.

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

I called the number yesterday, and was told MGM would send me a mailer to send them my old discs and they would send me the corrected discs. I asked if I should send just the discs (Octopussy, Living Daylights, Never Say Never) or send them in their cases. The woman said most people send the discs in the cases.

Is that true? Those of you who have done this, how did you send the discs? How long does it take to get the new ones? The woman on the phone only vaguely knew what I was talking about and when I mentioned the 3 titles I was interested in, she said "Yeah, that sounds like them."

I'd appreciate any guidance from folks here who have done this.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

They never did issue a corrected version of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, did they? I forget what the problem was, a little missing footage, I think, but I know they didn't see it as an issue.

15. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

When I got my corrected ones back in the day they just sent me the corrected discs. I didnt have to send anything in.

16. Bill GrandPre

For the record, I don't have to send mine because of my particularly unsatisfactory experience that has gone on for over a year, and they have a record of me sending my discs the first time.

17. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody else know anything about this? I was under the impression that no Bond film had ever had nudity, other than the teases during the credits; especially the last PG Bond movie.

18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

I can promise you that the way Living Daylights was shown in US theaters in 1987 had frontal (but not full) nudity. The videotape that followed also had it. For the DVD, the film was framed differently so as to cut out the nude woman's breasts.

19. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I just went back and checked the DVD. As the guard runs into the room, he looks at the woman with a shocked look considering that she is topless. When they cut to her, you see her from above the breasts on up. There is no nudity in the shot. The next shot has Dalton striking the guard with the woman looking on. They show her from the back but she's at an angle and you can see her nipple from the side.

20. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

That's the shot that is mis-framed, or "zoomed in."