What's new

OCTOBER ROAD / GOING TO CALIFORNIA - Will they get a release? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
OCTOBER ROAD just finished its six episode run on ABC. Since it did well in the ratings, was a short run and Disney is usually good with TV releases, I would think that it might have a chance to be released on DVD (if music rights don't hold it up, they used a lot of music). It could fit on a two disc set.

Disney could even do a tie in with a rerelease of the cult classic film BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. Since ROAD is from the same writer, and is essentially a spin off (GIRLS can be seen as the book/film that the lead character of ROAD wrote), they could cross promote them.

Also, Sony could get in on the action and finally release the series GOING TO CALIFORNIA on DVD. It was part of their previous TV ON DVD poll. Both shows are from the same writers and even share some of the same characters and actors. They are continuations of each other.

Plus, the way that the season finale of ROAD ended is the way that GOING TO CALIFORNIA begins.

Not to mention that CALIFORNIA had a great guest cast (including Vince Vaughn) that it would sell on its own.

So, there are three great DVD releases that could come out from one show.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I've heard good things about "Going to California", but I never saw it. It was interesting and rather clever how they ended this season of "October Road".

The current DVD release of "Beautiful Girls" I think is also OOP.

Getting back to "October Road"... I've been watching the episodes also online and I would love to see a DVD release as you suggested. The studio so far has done a great job with their two "Lost" season sets and the first season of "Grey's Anatomy" which I own. Hopefully Disney won't have a problem retaining the music.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If October Road gets a second season pick-up, which seems likely at this point, I'm sure there will be a season-one release shortly before the season premiere.

LCD22

Screenwriter
It has been posted on IMDB that "October Road" will return for a second season.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
ABC hasn't made anything official (and won't until their upfront presentation next month). But, like I said, it is likely and I would be shocked if it wasn't picked up.

IMDB postings aren't exactly the most accurate source for that type of info.

Real Name
Thomas Stewart
The thing is with only six episodes, is ABC going to release a 1/2-disc first season set (a la GREYS ANATOMY), or will they wait and release a "complete first and second season" set? WHAT ABOUT BRIAN (while never anywhere near as popular in the ratings) also had a 6-episode first season (8 episodes were filmed, but 2 were never aired) and yet the first season never came out on DVD after season 2 was announced.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I didn't mean to imply that it was "official". Of course, we won't know for sure until ABC makes the announcement in 16 days.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I do wonder that, if it does get a second season, if it will be a remake of GOING TO CALIFORNIA. That was about two guys who leave town, trying to find a friend who just left. Each week, they are in a different city, having a different adventure of sorts, while trying to track him down.

Brad William Henke (who plays Owen on ROAD) was one of the two guys in the car, playing a different character.

They intercut their story with everyone back home. Ikey is played by the same guy on both shows (Evan Jones). One of the hometown guys on GOING was played by Sean Gunn (who is now Kirk on THE GILMORE GIRLS). The character of Eddie Littekka was in both shows, but with different actors.

Both are great shows. GOING is better, and really deserves a bigger audience. It only aired for a few months on Showtime.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good question about the music. But, I'm hoping since it was such an important part of the show that they got all the rights at one time.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Just a reminder that the new season premieres this Thursday, after an all-new "Grey's Anatomy", and then will move to Mondays at 10pm EST on the 26th.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Jon (if you don't mind me plugging this) has written a great write-up on "Going to California" on his blog under his continued "Forgotten TV" series. I thought you guys might be interested in reading. And Jon, I left you a brief comment on it.

So Sony, how about a DVD release for "Going to California"?

LCD22

Screenwriter
If you haven't heard already, it was confirmed yesterday that "October Road" has been officially cancelled. Scott Rosenberg is working on a "wrap-up" for fans which the cast have signed on, though it's not known yet what this entails. Meanwhile, there's no word yet when The Complete Second Season will come to DVD. Hopefully, it will once again contain the original broadcast music intact and a bit more extras.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Lionsgate has licensed serveral series from Disney-ABC Domestic Television, including "October Road".

Lionsgate inks deal for series on DVD

I hope this won't have an impact on the original broadcast music, the "previously on..." recaps, and the end credits from being completely intact. They don't have the best track record, so I pray nothing is edited.

And will The Complete First Season be going OOP now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks