Octo Sub Review - Finally!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

This is a review of a product that I recently purchased and it involves 3 highly respected hobbyist and builders in my book that some of you may already know.
    Being the owner of a 75L Dayton DVC 12" sub bought from http://www.Acoustic-Visions.com which is owned and operated by a gentlemen and knowledgable Kyle Richardson, I was treated to some of the highest quality bass that I've ever heard My first experience of quality bass was a dual SVS 2531cs setup that a friend of mine currently has and it was then that I knew I had bass issues to tend to.
    Anyway, I will be buying a home soon and knew that my basement would be much bigger than my present room I have now, in the back of my mind I was thinking of a bigger sub than my 75L sub but figured it would be purchased in the near future. One day while speaking to Rob Lloyd the actual builder of my first 75L Dayton sub,about him creating some DIY ITC's for me he mentioned that he was considering building a new sub for Acoustic Visions and there is no similar offering for it anywhere and would I be interested in hearing about it. I told him to continue and he said well the sub is going to be Octagon shaped but tall like a Sono tube. He said he was working on the technical details with Kyle and said he would talk to me about the project at a later time.
    Well a few months later I now own a 5 ft tall Octo Sub,with an Adire Audio Tempest driver. I was able to choose the finish that I wanted which was a short haired speaker cover on the main body with the caps being painted in a high gloss black. I told Rob that I wanted the speaker cover as opposed to the paint because it is a big sub and if I did want to move it, the likelyhood of me dinging and messing up the paint would be high since I'm about 5'7". Fortunately, when I brought the sub home I was pleased to see that it wasn't as heavy as I thought and that walking the sub was a far easier task then I expected. Especially for a 214L Tempest sub!!
    Well anyone who has followed products from Adire Audio knows that the Tempest driver is hard to beat especially when you add in the minimum power requirements needed to push the subs which house them and the overall performance you get. Well I've never experienced such performance before and all I can say is that where my Dayton 75L sub has excellent punch and good low end extension in my room the Octo-Sub would punch you and then throw you from your sitting position much like the girl was thrown from her bed in The Haunting. Ok not literally but instead of punches the sense of being moved does over come you with the Octo sub. The sub is tuned to 16Hz and at a sitting position 8ft away here are some of my early findings as far as Max SPL's go. I live in a NY apartment and had to rush these findings so I will have to take them again this weekend when the neighbors are gone.
    20hz = 100
    22hz = 104
    25hz = 112
    28hz = 108
    32hz = 115
    36hz = 115
    40hz = 118
    To say I'm extremely pleased is to say the least. It is good to know that I was able to purchase a Tempest based sub achieving bass performance that I would have to pay much more for else where. Wait a minute, I don't know of any other places that offer Tempest based subs TURN KEY!!
    The customer service offered from Acoustic Visions was equally impressive. Kyle and Rob were always intouch with me during the building process of both my subs and Rob provided me first with digital drawings of the Octo sub and then with actual digital photos before I met him to bring THE BEAST (my subs name) home. He said this was to ensure that we were on the same page as far as the look of the sub and the expected performance.
    Customer service and performance using high quality parts (thanks to Dan at http://www.AdireAudio.com) and excellent build quality is hard to beat and match at any price. If you're looking for DIY performance at very close to DIY prices you should give Kyle at http://www.Acoustic-Visions.com a visit. Like I told some of those who had questions about my first sub " the main selling point that got me from Acoustic-Visions was while other companies offer awesome products that they sell, Acoustic Visions builds you the awesome sub that you want in the color, shape, size and performance level that you desire.
    2 thumbs up with a twist of lemon!

2. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review. I have a couple questions. Did the sub ship complete or as a kit to you? And what did it cost? I was under the impression that such a sub wouldn't be shippable, and this is why many companies sell smaller subs. I'm curious to find out how big of a sub you have to get before you have to send it freight, and how big before you can't ship it at all. Perhaps the Octosub was sent freight?

One thing I've always been willing to give in the search for the best bass was size. If you're willing to have a honking big sub then you've made everything else easier. But when I looked at options I didn't see any that would send me a really big sub.

I'm sure I'll be happy with my 20-39CS+, but if a much larger sub had been available in the same money bracket I'd have probably gone for it.

Norman Short

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Norman. The Octo Sub did ship complete and is only for pickup in CT. I'm afraid[​IMG]. However, A tempest based sub in a cubed shape may be available for delivery so please call Kyle and ask these questons because he will have more information about his companies capablilities in regards to shipping options. The cost of the Octo Sub was about $650.00 complete. Even at $700 - $750.00( including the amp) this would still be a steal with the performance you get. Remember though, the prices may vary depending on the finish you want and whatever custom request you may have.
    Also, check out the new Adire Bhraman drivers that are made for small enclosures at Acoustic-Visions. Looking at the price and the performance level expected you could literally be talking about world class performance for under $1,000.00!!!!
    The upgrade bug almost had me thinking that I may have pulled the trigger too fast on the Octo Sub but every time I turn it on I can't believe how moved (literally) I become and forget about it.
    ** If you'd like, go to Adire Audio DIY Gallery and get an idea of the alternative Tempest Designs that may fit your desires and give Kyle a call. My favorite is the big cherry wood cubed shape model third from the bottom.
    Good Luck

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Sound great, Martice, thanks for the review. If only everyone could hear a Tempest, eh? [​IMG]

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Wow, $650! That's about the same price as a 20-39PC... holy cow. I take it the performance of this sub is nearly that of an Ultra, right?

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I'm not familiar with the Ultra but from what I hear some DIYer's have claimed that properly designed Tempest subs equals or surpasses the Ultra in performance. Anyway, even if my sub is anywhere close to the performance of what an SVS ultra is supposed to be that only speaks volumes for the price performance you receive by going DIY or the next best thing which is Acoustic Visions or any other DIYer that makes turn key subs on an individual basis.
    If anyone is intrested in a more traditional design check out the price list on the site for a Tempest design sub .HERE
    ** One more note about the readings regarding the sub. The 15HZ and 18Hz readings were both 95db. Hopefully I will be able to get some readings at the 50hz and 60hz readings today. Also the readings are corrected using the Radio Shack SPL meter as well.

7. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Martice, what this sub is made form? (MDF? ) and how much does it weigh?

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Jedd. The total weight for the Octosub is about 110lbs. It is made of 3/4" MDF board if I'm correct. The weight was a major concern for me so Rob Lloyd (the builder of the sub) worked with me on this problem and we came up with rubber feet on the bottom of the lower end cap which allows me to easily walk the sub to whatever part of the room that I may want to put it.

9. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Thanks for the review, this is a very interesting looking sub. One question, were your max SPL measurements made with respect to any THD limits?

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks Dzung and no it wasn't.

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Very funny Jack!! I would love to see your personal example of a Tempest sub. Your last passive radiator design still beckons me to look it up in the archives every now and then.
    Jacks Masterpiece
    Just Wonderful!!!

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Thanks. I saw the pics were screwed up in that post, so I fixed them...new server.

I did Tempests in my infinite baffle...maybe I'll do something with the one remaining one I have sitting here...sometime.

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I sat at my sitting position (which is 8ft away) and went through all of the recorded frequencies and listened at Max level on my Pre/Pro. I was under the impression that this was the way to get max SPL readings. If I'm wrong please correct me so that I don't publish findings that may be in error. However, if the way to correct these findings is not possible for me to accomplish in some way I will gladly say that these are my findings but they are not conclusive because they don't reflect an THD limits.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

There is nothing wrong with your method,however most measuring in this regard happens closer to the sub[1-2m] to get better idea of it's performance without room interaction.

THD is the limiting factor [10%or so]as to what is max SPL which can be quiet audible,but with all the shaking in the room might prevent you from it.

The best and easyest is to use visual "help" from Spectra+ and the likes with your PC.

Having said this, your readings are quiet impressive regarding output and room interactions.

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks Lewis. Kyle from Acoustic Visions suggested I do this as well but it's just finding an open weekend when my neighbors are not home. They were out this weekend but at the exact time that they were out my wife came down with a sudden case of S.E.S ( Subwoofer Envy Syndrome) and insisted that we go out for a while since the weather was nice here in NYC suggesting that I spend too much time with my hobby. I spoke to my neighbors and they said they could tolerate an all out assault for about an hours time next weekend. I don't think they know what they've just sanctioned me to do but they agreed. I'll post my findings soon.

*** Jack you already made a Tempest IB design?!? I remember when you were talking about it as your ultimate sub. If you did build it, did I miss the pictures? Was I in the bathroom or something?

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I did it well over a year ago, maybe, but it's no longer operational.