1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Yes, I found that out earlier today!

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I'm finally getting on board the Dark Shadows train! Amazon Prime appears to now have EVERY episode available to stream. I'm currently on Ep. 5 (Victoria meeting David). some of my DS background:

I remember watching the original show after school (in color) and having my parents cut me off when I had nightmares after Angelique attacked someone in a hospital room. I'm guessing I was probably 9 or 10 at the time.

I have seen HODS twice, and loved the movie. I've never seen NODS.

I also enjoyed the style of the NBC version and will be revisiting that also as it's on Hulu.

I had rented the DVDs from Netflix years ago but they didn't have the early complete episodes, just some condensed storylines to get caught up on the back story prior to Barnabas arriving. However, they had issues with some discs that seemed to constantly be out (I'm assuming damaged or never returned) and so I gave up somewhere after the first "parallel" timeline about the witches back in the 1700's (?).

Oh, and I absolutely DESPISED the Tim Burton movie.

Mr. Handley likes this.
  3. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Welcome aboard, Eric! I was born the year the original started (1966) and only have some hazy memories of watching the show with my Mom around 1970/71. I'm on my third go-around on the entire series, this time I'm watching each episode on a "50 years ago today" schedule. This currently puts me right in the heart of the 1795 story line.

I have both feature films on DVD. I much prefer "House" to "Night". I was underwhelmed by the revival series. As for the Burton movie, I didn't have very high expectations, I just enjoyed it for what it was. The best part was seeing some of the original cast members in an all too brief cameo. IMO, nothing beats the original series for sheer entertainment value.

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    You'll have a decision to make very soon as 1968 was a leap year, but 2018 is not, so your 50-years-ago dates will get a little skewed from here on out.

Mr. Handley likes this.
  5. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'll probably just stick to the Monday-Friday schedule, even if the date is off by a day or two. Besides, I've settled into watching one per weeknight when I get home from work.

6. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I am up to ep 38 on Amazon . I try to get to at least one a day .

EricSchulz and Mr. Handley like this.
  7. Ockeghem Collins

Ockeghem Collins Auditioning

Megan Atwell
    I don't expect anyone to see this, but since I have been creepily "liking" ancient posts on this thread I felt the need to at least explain.

My name is Megan Atwell, I am Scott's daughter. I grew up watching Dark Shadow's with him. However, we were unfortunate enough to never make it all the way through the series. Back in the day, he would tell me about his forum friends and how he loved to spend his time discussing the show online. I did not give it much thought then.

A few days ago, I decided to start the show from the beginning. Since I have no one to talk to this time around, I have been wondering what his thoughts on certain parts of the show were. I was thrilled to find this after some googling.

Take care,

"Josette"

8. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Hello Megan,

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I got through about 1000 episodes before moving on to something else. I used to monitor this thread some, but didn't really post. I think it is very cool what you are embarking on, your father was obviously a great fan of the show and contributor to this forum with many thoughts along the way. Enjoy.

Ockeghem Collins and Mr. Handley like this.
  9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    My wife and I started about 4 years ago and are 830 episodes in. Sometimes we will watch a whole bunch and other times we go months without watching any.
    The current storyline we are in isn’t the greatest (Count Petofi) but we’ll keep watching through the end. About 400 more to go. I’d love to finish it by the end of the year but the reality is that will probably be the end of next year.
    I’m curious why you stopped at around episode 1,000. You got that far, why not finish it off. Were the last two years that bad? Unfortunately the show was canceled abruptly so there’s no conclusion/payoff to look forward to.

10. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    We actually did even worse as far as getting totally stalled. I think we were up near episode 1200 with just a handful really to finish it up, but both of us really lost interest. The Bramwell/Catherine story just wasn't picking up any real steam, and my dim memory of it from first run has told me that it's just not worth the effort.

As much as I love DARK SHADOWS, that last iteration was really bad.

Welcome to the forum, Megan, "Josette". I like the idea of your floating around the thread, much as Josette did at Collinwood. We miss your dad and now I think feel much better with your presence here. Do keep us informed of your DARK SHADOWS doings.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. Mr. Handley

Paul
  12. Ockeghem Collins

Ockeghem Collins Auditioning

Megan Atwell
    Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

Today is my birthday, and I like to make resolutions or fun goals every year, around this time. This year, since I only watched a few episodes a couple of weeks ago, I have decided to start the series over in exactly three days. I want to start on the exact date that the series first aired and attempt to finish the entire series in one year. It would only be 3 episodes a day, and a couple of "binging" days thrown in. It sounds reasonable on paper, but in the next three months, I am planning to get married, buy my first house and go to college for the first time so we will see if life allows it! :) I figured that if I have time to watch the office every night before bed (currently on my 5th run through that show) I can manage one hour of DS.

I must admit, I am nervous for some of the episodes. I remember certain turning points so clearly in my mind. I think my dad and I started it over three times or so in our time watching it together, this last one we watched more than we ever had in the past. I have always felt that the last storyline was not going to be strong, just by reading little bits here and there. However, I am pretty determined to watch this start to finish at least once in my lifetime.

Mr. Handley, I will most definitely check that out! Are all of you in the same place in Dark Shadows at the moment?

On a sillier note, I feel that I need to explain this because I found myself correcting my words several times while typing this out. My dad and I used to refer to DS as DASH. It was an unclever way of combining the first two letters of each word in Dark Shadows to have a nickname for it. In the future, if I refer to it as that, this is where it came from. ;)

13. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Yes, those of us that follow that blog are watching on a "50 years ago today schedule", so we will finish in 2021. This my third time thru the entire series. The fastest I was able to do it was just under 2 years. Best of luck on getting thru it in a year!

14. Charles Ellis

Awful news: Denise Nickerson (Amy) has suffered a stroke and is the hospital in serious condition.

15. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    That’s awful. Wishing her full and speedy recovery.

16. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Good news, DARK SHADOWS fans. The series will begin a weeknight airing at Midnight Eastern on the DECADES channel starting on October 29th. It's starting with the rise of Barnabas.

17. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    My wife and I started in January 2015 and have gone through spurts of watching dozens of episodes per week followed by dry spells where we don't watch it for months. This year we have watched very little, mostly because the storyline we're on is one of the weaker ones, and seemingly endless. (we are about 2/3rds in, mid-800s)
    I just looked at an episode guide and thankfully we're getting near the end of the 1897 storyline. Unfortunately it looks like it will go straight to 1797! We really enjoyed the "present day" storylines, much much more than any set in the past. Unfortunately for what we have left of the series, there's more past than present. I can only imagine watching this as a daily soap opera and being stuck in different time periods for months. But they kept doing it so it must have been something people liked back then.
    Of what we have seen so far, the pre-Barnabas storylines are among our favorites.
    At some point we'll watch the two movies and the 1990s series, as well as the hours of bonus features on the set.

bmasters9 likes this.
  18. Charles Ellis

Late this Saturday night, TCM will be showing the two MGM films based on the original series ( I have both on Blu-ray).

EricSchulz likes this.
  19. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Unfortunately, the syndicated run of the series always starts with the rise of Barnabas and ends somewhere in the first few weeks of the 1970 Parallel Time story. The syndicated distributor, Worldvision, has only released three years (2-4) of episodes in syndication. When the series aired on Sci-Fi several years ago they had a special deal and was able to show all five years of the series. So, unless this has changed since then, DECADES will not be able to show the first and last years of the series.

20. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Yeah. I'm aware. It's still good to have it running on a national network nightly in 2018.