1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #195. The late, great Dennis Patrick has arrived on the scene! Jason McGuire is one of my all-time favorite characters and Patrick really infuses the role with his natural charisma. As we all know, business is about to pick up very shortly!

2. Mr. Handley

Paul
    My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #200. This past week, we had our very first Willie Loomis sighting, but it's NOT John Karlen! Yes, it's James Hall, the first Willie Loomis. Still not sure if I like his performance or not. He's got a bit of a James Dean quality to him. Obviously the producers didn't care for him and he was quickly replaced by the talented Karlen.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  3. Suzanne.S

Suzanne.S Stunt Coordinator

Suzanne
    The first actor really didn't have the spark that Karlen brought to the role. He was always one of my favorite actors on the show.

4. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Last night's episode (#203) featured the most screen time for Willie Loomis #1 (James Hall). I see now why he was replaced. He seemed a bit over his head with all the dialogue (he even pronounced Loomis as Lomis) and Dennis Patrick looked visibly upset with his performance. However, I will say this for Mr. Hall, he had the "creepy" part of Willie down pretty good! Karlen was also one of my favorites and he will be a most welcome sight very soon.

Suzanne.S and Randy Korstick like this.
  5. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Just stumbled across this today on YouTube. A 2016 appearance by none other than James Hall! He starts at about the (7:15) mark:

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I liked Hall a lot and initially preferred him over Karlen.

BTW, my wife and I started watching in January 2015. Currently at episode 683. Just over halfway, nearly 2 1/2 years in. Sometimes we go weeks or even months without watching, and sometimes we'll watch 20 or more in a week's time. We're in the Quentin introduction storyline.

Can anyone suggest a good point to watch the Dark Shadows movies? Also, we wanted to start on some of the bonus discs rather than having hours and hours of it at the end. Anything I should avoid until I'm done with the series?

7. Message #1887 of 1928 Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I think it's safe to say that you can watch both movies now and not have spoilers. The first movie basically recaps the introduction of Barnabas and him trying to turn Maggie into Josette but more violent and on a grander scale with different outcomes than the series. The second movie has nothing to do with the series plot. Same actors and names, but in a new story that is different entity than the series.
    Both movies were filmed near the end of the series run, so everyone might look a couple years older than you remember them.

Mr. Handley likes this.
  8. Mr. Handley

Paul
    My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #205. We have our very first Barnabas Collins sighting! Only it's not him in the "flesh", but as the portrait on the wall at Collinwood. We also get the mysterious heartbeat and flashing eyes...nice foreshadowing of what's to come VERY soon!

BTW, I plan on re-watching the feature films exactly 50 years after they were released, but that's just me.

9. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Well, last night's episode (#210) was the start of something huge...yes, the hand reaching out of the coffin to grab Willie by the neck! And so it begins...yes, it was EXACTLY 50 years ago today that Jonathan Frid made his official on-screen debut as Barnabas Collins!!!!!

Suzanne.S likes this.
  10. Mr. Handley

Paul
    My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #250. This is when the ratings really started to take off and no wonder! We're right in the thick of the two "marriages" coming up...Barnabas and "Josette" (Maggie) and Liz and Jason! This is becoming a real thrill ride and 50 years have not diminished it one bit, at least not IMHO. An extra treat for me, lots of screen time for the lovely KLS (did I mention, I had/have a major crush on her from Day 1).

11. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Last night's episode (#252) saw the debut of one of my favorite secondary DS characters, Buzz The Biker! It was also a rare opportunity to see Nancy Barrett do her drunken "Ed Grimley" dance!!! What a fun episode.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  12. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Mr. Handley likes this.
  13. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Just finished watching episode 1200. Been watching daily since getting the big set back in 2012.

These are episodes I actively remember watching during their original broadcast (I was nine, so probably started watching shortly before then).

I watched the entire series several times since then.

Something occurred to me during this episode. The story is 1840 Parallel Time. The letter talking about the curse and lottery was jut read. The curse began in 1680, but the secret room seems to be in the New House.

14. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Yeah, I recall thinking about that too. I think the rationalization is the the New House was built earlier in Parallel Time.

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

TCM will be showing House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows back to back on the afternoon of Saturday October 28th!

16. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    I've been a fan of Dark Shadows since I first started watching the series back in the Summer of 2003 on Sci Fi. I can still remember the episodes that aired that morning... The show was still rather early into the Parallel Time storyline, and the first episode ended with Amy Jennings (or was it Collins in this storyline?) seeing the ghost of Dameon Edwards vanish into a wall, and the second episode of the day ended with Cyrus Longworth transforming into John Yaeger for the first time! Quite an introduction to the series to say the least!

I've had the series in my viewing schedule pretty much constantly since then, and by the time I get around to cycling back to the beginning of the series they all seem brand-new again due to how long it takes to get through one cycle of the entire series. I always usually manage to discover something new with each new cycle through the episodes!

However, even after watching the show for so many years I still have several questions and such that nag away at me, perhaps some folk on here may know the answers:

• Filming Locations: Being a native of Southern New England, I have been fortunate enough to visit several of the show's filming locations more than a few times. These include Essex, Connecticut (Location of the Evan's Cottage, Collinsport Inn and also the Collin's Cannery and stock shot of the town of Collinsport as used in the early B&W episodes) as well as Newport, RI which served as the location for the Blue Whale as well as the infamous Collinwood Mansion itself. However the locations of a few buildings on the show have never been disclosed in any of the books printed about the show, namely the locations of Windcliff, Nicholas Blair's house and Dr. Lang's house. Are these actual places? Or just random houses that Dan Curtis and the production crew randomly picked out of a book?

• The waves in the opening: The location of the waves in the show's intro have never really been confirmed either, at least in no official capacity online that I could find. Some say the waves were filmed in Kennebunkport, Maine, and others say that they were filmed in Newport, RI. There is some confusion however in the fact that both towns have a road called Ocean Ave. which both have very rocky coastlines that could have served as the backdrop to the intro. I myself personally have been to Ocean Ave. in Newport dozens of times, and there are definitely some rocks that look like they could be the same ones in the intro...

• Blue Whale Music: Early episodes of the series often featured instrumentation's of popular songs of the time. I've even been able to pick out a few jazzy renditions of Beatles songs in some of these episodes! I understand that due to copyright reasons these songs are unable to be included in the official soundtracks that have been released of the show, but there is one song that plays in about four different later black and white episodes that sounds in the same style as Bob Cobert's other Blue Whale tracks but has never been released officially. I don't remember the episode numbers that the song was featured in exactly, but I do remember that it was featured in at least one of the scenes between Jason and Willie in the bar as well as a scene where Burke is impatiently waiting for Vicki to show up at the bar. I was really disappointed that the song wasn't available in the large CD set that MPI put out a few years ago, so if anyone could perhaps identify the song I'd be really grateful.

17. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Having been active in DS fandom for 35 years I can help you. Some years ago at a DS Festival some of the actual instrumental pop LPs used for background music at The Blue Whale were auctioned off, apparently from the collection of either series composer Bob Cobert or music coordinator Sybil Weinberger (who later married DS line producer Robert Costello). One was "The New Elgart Touch" by brother bandleaders Les & Larry Elgart (who wrote the American Bandstand theme) on Columbia Records, another was "Michelle" (I assume this album had the Beatle tunes!) by Bud Shank (with Chet Baker!) on World Pacific. I don't know if they are on CD, but if you have a turntable you can get decent used LPs on Ebay.

mattfire64 likes this.
  18. Message #1898 of 1928 Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Thanks for the info Charles! Both of those albums are available on Amazon, and in listening to the previews I can definitely pick out a few of the songs that I remember hearing on the show.

I also did a bit more digging around and managed to find the source of another Beatles instrumental used on the show. A version of the song "She's a Woman" is heard in Episode 207 in the scene when Willie and Burke get into a fight at the bar. Turns out this version is by "Frank Chacksfield & His Orchestra" and can be found on his album "The First Hits of 1965". You can listen to the sample on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018EQCVWG/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
    As for the song I mentioned in my other post, it turns out that it is heard prominently in Episode 267 when Burke #2 (Anthony George) is impatiently waiting for Vicki to show up for their date. Still no luck as to who the recording artist is though, but I strongly think it's another Bob Cobert cut which never made the official CD's since it sounds to be in the same style as his other Blue Whale tracks.

Edit: I just noticed that I'm the 1,897th reply to this thread, perhaps I should go try my luck with some I Ching wands...

19. Mr. Handley

Paul
    My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #308. It's right in the middle of the Sarah Collins mystery and Dr. Hoffman's experiments on Barnabas. I'm watching Episode #309 tonight.

20. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Coincidentally, Larry Elgart passed away just two days ago.

(Cue your favorite DARK SHADOWS dramatic sting.)