What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (2 Viewers)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these early episodes. Just that the slower pace takes some getting used to, especially knowing how wild things will get later in the series.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I would think that the slow pace of one episode per day and five per week would seem glacial in these days of binge-watching. In fact, had I not come to realize that a full episode is only around 21 minutes, and that one could consume three full episodes in a little more than an hour, I wouldn't have made the investment in the full-series DVD set. I was able to compress the entire series in around two years with binge-watching and stops and starts. That was do-able.

I applaud those who are undertaking the series at the pace that it aired. I'm not sure I could ever do that again.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Harry, I totally understand where you're coming from. In fact, that's how I watched the entire series the first time around. I think I did the whole thing in a little over two years. I actually wasn't going to watch them all again, however the timing of the 50th just seemed too good a chance to pass up. I actually like limiting myself to one per week day as I have so much other stuff in my collection that I have yet to watch even once. Besides, there's something special about knowing that I'm watching each episode unfold EXACTLY as it did 50 years ago TO THE DAY.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Last night (Friday, 8/12) was the debut of David Ford in the Sam Evans role. Boy, he really hit it out of the park on his first show! Mark Allen was okay, but Ford really brought something special to the show. Of course, he and Nancy Barrett would marry during the show's original run.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Another week of "50 years ago today" viewing. We just had the debut of Thayer David in the Matthew Morgan role. Just like David Ford as Sam Evans, a big improvement in the acting department. Also gotta say that I really love Mitch Ryan as Burke Devlin during these early episodes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Love your posts Paul. Keep them coming. I am in all episodes picking my favorite storylines to watch. I did binge the show from first year into the color episodes and then began to skip I confess. I did the entire prime time series too. Just so many hours in the day is the problem. I admire your tenacity. DS is my top favorite show with Voyage and Peyton Place both coming in as a tie or very close to number 1 for the latter two.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just finished up another week of "50 years ago today" viewing. I'm up to show #55 and the fate of Bill Malloy is just being discovered. We also had a fun ghostly moment that referenced Josette Collins (the book that mysteriously fell to the floor). Also the debut of one of my favorite character actors, Dana Elcar, as the sheriff.

One thing that I've noticed is that the actors seem to be relying more on the monitors than previously. Mitch Ryan in particular seems to be struggling a bit. I must say that Louis Edmonds has a charming way of covering his occasional mistakes with a quick ad-lib. I'm not criticizing as they had to learn a new script every day, just little things you start to notice as a repeat viewer. What a fun and talented cast of pros that show had!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewings are now through episode #70. This is one of my all-time favorite episodes as we get our first glimpses of an actual ghost! Yes, the on-screen "debut" of Josette Collins! What a way to end the week. This past week also saw the debut of the talented Clarice Blackburn as Mrs. Johnson. I wonder what the viewers of 1966 thought about this series going full-on with an actual ghost?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Paul did you know that episode 70 was our good friends Scott's favorite episode? I know we all miss him. What a great guy and friend!!

Yes Mark, I do recall Scott mentioning that fact. This cast is really firing on all cylinders during these episodes. Not too much longer (a couple of months?) before a certain lady rises again at Collinwood!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing is now up through episode #85. This week ended with a shocker...the ghost of one Bill Malloy! Nice way to end the week.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Bill Malloy was a great character- a pity he wasn't kept on longer. Frank Schofield was excellent and should've been brought back in another role as were so many other DS actors. Speaking of early DS stars, I recently had some pictures signed (including one with Diana Millay) by John Lasell, who played Dr. Peter Guthrie in the 1967 Phoenix story. He's 89, retired and living in California.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing is now up through episode #100. I call the current story line "Pengate". Who had the pen and where is it now?

An unexpected surprise as one of my favorite character actors, Dolph Sweet, makes his one-off appearance in episode #99 as Ezra Hearne! He slightly flubbed a couple of his lines, but he still made an impression.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up through Episode #120. Matthew Morgan has Vickie tied up in the secret room (behind the book case) in the old house. This coming week, we will be introduced to one Laura Collins....can't wait!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up through Episode #135. We're now firmly entrenched in the Laura Collins Phoenix story line. Some terrific work from the entire cast, especially David Henesy. The scene he had with Joan Bennett in Episode #135 was very touching.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up through Episode #150. The Laura Collins story line is really heating up (pun intended)! I'm only a couple of months away from a certain distant relative showing up the scene and causing some major changes to our quaint little Gothic show.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #180. The Laura Collins story line is just about over as Dr. Guthrie is too close to the truth for his own good. I'll hate to see this story arc end, but I know what's just around the corner, so it's all good.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My "50 years ago today" viewing schedule is now up thru Episode #191 and what an episode it was! The grand finale of the Laura Collins Phoenix story line! Gee, I wonder what the writers will come up with next?!?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
What they came up with next managed to invade one of my dreams last night. Not in the sense of being in the dream, but of the taping locations used for that story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks