What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
What a fun ride you're in for, Radioman970. We did all of that stuff last fall and it was most enjoyable.

I keep telling my wife: "You're about to meet the Xth most important character/actor in DARK SHADOWS." I've not spoiled anything for her, and I'll not spoil any surprises for you either.

Regarding music changes, I do remember certain times in the series when the music library of cues expanded. You'd get a raft of episodes in a row, all using a bunch of new cues, and then they'd slip back into using the tried and true. It's just that in my sparse viewings over the years, I never got the connection between the music cues and the actors and that was a new revelation for me. It got to the point where, the other day, I heard the flute/cello figure as the camera focused on the Collinwood stairway. I just knew that the next person I'd see would be in the person of Joan Bennett - and it was.

I believe that where we are currently, things are about to 'close in' on Reverend Trask. He's a piece of work, he is.

Harry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks Harry.

I forgot what episode I'm on, watching them back to back, but Burke just did what everybody was wanting him to do. SLAP SLAP PUNCH! I'm a little disappointed that a new actor stepped in the Willie role, that first guy was excellent. One thing I've tried to avoid was looking up the actors since spoilers would pop in very quickly... I must see Willie's story play out. It's great. then I'll take a look at what happened.

The actor playing Jason, I kept getting a William Campbell in Trek vibe. I realized I was on the wrong track (erm, Trek!). He's a bit like Jack Nicholson too. Really good actor. Everybody is rising to the occasion became of him, is what I'm thinking.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,Yeah, the first Willie Loomis (James Hall) was only in four episodes. And I may be incorrect, but I believe that while he was doing the show we had (as seen on the production slates) our one and only "Take #3" during one of his shifts. Hall had much more of an edge to him than John Karlen. But when all is said and done, I don't know if Hall would have had the range that Karlen brought to the role.

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
I can guarantee that without hesitation, John Karlen's manic, nuanced performances are going to win you over and James Hall will soon be forgotten. Plus, Karlen has the matinee idol looks and devil may care attitude....oh....just you wait!!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wrapped up DVD #24. (I actually did view the Dan Curtis Altzheimers commercial he made, plus the extra 191 footage which I'm assuming it was Laura screaming that was left out..?) Episode 210 is next. Yep! It's like stopping the farris wheel at the top at this point.

I agree with all of you. Karlen took an episode to get going, he got much better his 2nd outing and on.. With the 2 Sams, I liked the first, but the current Sam is the only Sam we need. If they other one came back it would be very weird. I have no doubts Karlen will be the only Willie. I have a very strong feeling that neither Willie actor will be needed for much longer. lol

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I hope that Radioman is not watching the restored episode out of sequence. I thought that was put on as an extra on the last year I DVD.
I see on the back of year 1 box 6 It is 211. We who bought the dvds as they came out have that episode twice.

I also tell fans VHS blue box 54 with Roger and Liz contains Fan Favorite episodes with commercials. under 5 bucks at Amazon and well worth it. The reviews for the item are all wrong. Just contains one episode and then the 3 fan favorites.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
ssshhhh..... willie must be drained and that's all there is...! :p

I left off on 209. 210 next.

That extra of 211 with commercials was the spoiler I was talking about. But I luckily didn't accidentally watch it yet. I guess I should go back and watch the one in the extras when I get to it? I think I will... make it extra special!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Laura outakes from #101- they actually had an extra camera on the set that day to cover all the FX. Joel Crothers once said that the smoke lasted for hours. Diana Millay was pregnant, so she had to go. She gave birth to her son Kiley Christopher Jones on June 7, 1967 (also Diana's birthday!).
The ratings did go up a bit, so this gave Dan Curtis the go-ahead to really delve into the supernatural. And we all know what happened next!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Radioman970 said:
ssshhhh..... willie must be drained and that's all there is...! :P

I left off on 209. 210 next.

That extra of 211 with commercials was the spoiler I was talking about. But I luckily didn't accidentally watch it yet. I guess I should go back and watch the one in the extras when I get to it? I think I will... make it extra special!
Yes, Do dig out the earlier disc to watch #211 instead of the one in sequence. The restoration makes it look so much better that the kinescope version. It's worth it to sit through a few old commercials - and kind of fun.

Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,Did you receive your "Dark Shadows Festival Weekend" mailing? This one was four (double-sided) pages and gives details about "Two Days in Tarrytown" (June 28-29, 2014); information about several of the books (including some autographed novels), calendars, and programs; brand-new episodes on CD starring the classic cast (dramatic readings and full-cast audio dramas); the "Exclusive New Movie Thriller with DS Stars - Doctor Mabuse"; and the Limited edition Dark Shadows "Best of the Gold Key Comics Book" (autographed by Nancy Barrett)? If you didn't receive it I can send it along.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I also thought the first Willie Loomis had an odd charm about him but I was quickly won-over with Karlen's performance. Let's just say that I now can't imagine anyone other than Karlen in that role.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Harry-N said:
Yes, Do dig out the earlier disc to watch #211 instead of the one in sequence. The restoration makes it look so much better that the kinescope version. It's worth it to sit through a few old commercials - and kind of fun.

Harry
I love old commercials. Can't wait... just about to get to it. :) 210 first, then onward! Will report back.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Scott, yes I did. Thank you for the offer. The first year of Barnabas has that haunting theme that was recorded twice with a difference between the two. He received his 3rd cue when the show returned to 1968 and that stayed with him. It was played when Jonathan played a new role in PT 1841. Like I said the cues would go with the actors into all the time periods the show was in.

PT 1970 even reworked early cues from year 1 but added many more.

Harry did you ever pick up that there were two different Josettes music box them. The last cue stayed through out the show and really had a nice expansion of the tune in 1897.

What Charles is stating is this. Go for broke is what Dan told crew and cast when a Vampire turns up at Collinwood. Laura had saved the show and I was always glad to hear her get credit. I am up to the episode when Laura and Barnabas meet in 1897.

The most famous cue from the show Quentins theme which launched an LP.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mr. Handley said:
I also thought the first Willie Loomis had an odd charm about him but I was quickly won-over with Karlen's performance. Let's just say that I now can't imagine anyone other than Karlen in that role.
I had a thought that James Hall would have been great in the Glenn Campbell role in True Grit. I was getting a Campbell vibe out of him, or maybe just actors of the 50s and 60s like James Dean, etc. And I've always wondered who they should have maybe chosen for that role instead of Campbell, who I'm a huge fan of as a singer but not actor. Hall, acting in a more upbeat way like Campbell did, would have been terrific.

I finished 212. I'm seeing Barnabas as a charming character, really enjoyed him with Elizabeth and especially David up at the old house. I would think viewers at the time were seeing him as mysterious and with some unease. I wish I would feel that way, but I was sitting there smiling like David the whole time. Barnabas is fantastic. What great times ahead! ...although I plan to rotate more different shows with my viewing so I can anticipate the episodes of DS more instead of back to back. I've never been a huge fan of back to backing the same show. Truth be told, over the weekend I meant to watch Trek "Turnabout Intruder" (final episode) so I could start the movies with ST:TMP Director's Cut since it's been so long. But nope..! Extended stay in Collinsport and Collinswood!!

There was such a cute girl in one of those commercials during 211... I believe it was Clairoll Morning Dew shampoo or something. I'm sure she's a grandma now..l.. :P :) Unless... she's one of "them"!!! woo hoo!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Mark Collins said:
Harry did you ever pick up that there were two different Josettes music box them. The last cue stayed through out the show and really had a nice expansion of the tune in 1897.
Yes. I noticed that even the first time around back in the 60s. Apparently, the original version was composed by Robert Farnon and is, I believe, actually used in THE PRISONER in the episode "Dance Of The Dead."

Harry

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
James, funny you should mention Star Trek. I never really got into any of it until recently. I made my way through the original series, then the animated series and I'm now up through The Wrath of Khan. I plan on doing all of the other movies and TV shows eventually.

As for Dark Shadows, I started off the DVDs with a few episodes per day, but found it better when I would limit myself to one per day. Gave me a chance to better soak-in each episode. If you like Barnabas now, just wait until he meets a certain lady doctor....I'll say no more!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry-N said:
Yes. I noticed that even the first time around back in the 60s. Apparently, the original version was composed by Robert Farnon and is, I believe, actually used in THE PRISONER in the episode "Dance Of The Dead."

Harry

Harry thanks so much! I know Robert Colbert talked about the change of the music box tune in an interview. I do not think any DS fan talked about where the original tune came from. I know we have never talked about it here. So what a news flash!

Do you know you hear it again when Vicky returns to 1968. Yes at least in one episode during the dream storyline.

The other thing I wanted to bring up was long time back you mention the music supervisor on the show. Well one time she may have been off. The person used all kind of tunes in the wrong place. The best I loved is one of the episodes of Willie and Maggie in the Collins tomb in the fall of 1968.

1840 Barnabas had two of Angelique's tunes not her famous one from PT 1970 invented just for her in that storyline. No her two most famous ones use while Barnabas cast a spell. The gal must have been off that day too.

Quentin also had a second cue beside his famous one. Lots of tunes were born out of DC productions but rearranged for the show. Some tunes were not changed such as those that came from the DC productions pilot for Prime time A Darkness at Blaisdon which put the cues without change into 1897. The main theme from Blaisdon which I loved was used as the Warlock theme in 1840. I encourage all fans to get that dvd for your DS collection for it is very special.

You can also watch it without spoiling your DS experience. All the DC Productions done for ABC Late Night Wide World of Entertainment are very good and use all the DS music cues.

Get them they are very good and have some DS actors in them for they were produced after the show went off the air.

Fans should also get after viewing the series the two CDs Return to Collinwood and Night Whispers which Jonathan Frid does his one and only return to the role of Barnabas Collins.

There other great cds based on the show coming out every year which fans should take a look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks