What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I received today a sales announcement from MPI on DS videos and other DS items. Check it out at MPI or Amazon where there is a sale going on.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wrote today I might like to buy Perry Mason. Diana Millay was in 3 of them as was Martin Peyton in 4 episodes and the Peyton Place cast in all of the shows. DS Dr Guthrie was also in the show.

Perhaps some other DS cast that I do not know about was also in Perry Mason or the Perry Mason movies.

I

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,Thanks for the link. I don't know if you read this on the Board, but I gave the entire Perry Mason series to my wife as a gift for Christmas. It's a gem of a series, and it's an excellent period piece to enjoy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,I just received my Dark Shadows brochure from MPI (not the one from Marcy or anything from Stewart). It featured the Coffin Box set ($289.99), the first year DVDs, books, and other merchandise. This year's Dark Shadows Festival (Tarrytown) will be on June 28-29, and will have three of my top favorites from the series attending (Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and David Selby). You own the Return To Collinwood book, right? Details for the festival and other items may be found at: DarkShadowsFestival.com.

Edit: I just read (Mark's link) that Nancy Barrett will also be attending. Goodness, those are four people from the series that I would love to see.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Mark, I've been watching the entire run of Perry Mason the past few years and have really been enjoying it! Although the show pretty much sticks to a basic formula, it's done so well that I don't mind it. The guest stars are great and each episode is like a mini-movie.

One of my favorite things is when a Dark Shadows cast member pops up in another show. I've been watching the first season of The Naked City and have already spotted a young John Karlen and Mark Allan (the first "Sam Evans"). I also just saw Dennis Patrick in an episode of Eight Is Enough as Tom Bradford's father-in-law...a far cry from Jason McGuire!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
THE EDGE OF DARK SHADOWS

Something that's probably been mentioned in this long thread, but I wanted to bring it up since I've observed it firsthand as I'm watching the show again:

It receives a lot of mention by reviewers, fans, and would-be funny-folk, that on DARK SHADOWS there are frequent "appearances" of shadows of microphones, equipment, crew, set edges, etc. - and it's all certainly true - especially on today's TVs that show everything.

But it wasn't *quite* as true back in the day these were telecast on ABC. First off, those TVs of the day were tube sets. Most were somewhat rounded in shape, so immediately you have to allow for the fact that the rounded corners of the picture tube cut off the corners of the picture. Second, in order to completely fill those picture tubes, a good amount of overscan was necessary. That means that a good chunk of the images we see today were never seen by DARK SHADOWS' ABC audience. So those errant microphones, set edges, and off-camera crew were really "off-camera" and not seen. Third, I have to mention the resolution of televisions in those days. The old tube sets with analog signals are no match for today's digital technology, flat-screen LCD and plasma TV sets.

Today's TVs and DVDs give us the capability to see edges of the picture that we weren't able to see before, so it's almost excusable when you see something on the edge of the screen that shouldn't be there.

Of course, even without consideration of the edges, DARK SHADOWS presents a plethora of examples of things that go wrong on basically live TV shows - the forgotten dialog, the errant insect landing on faces, the candles that won't behave, and the sets that wiggle and wobble as they get used. Those things are part of what make DARK SHADOWS all the more endearing to its fans, as we sympathize with the actors in trying to bring us these stories on a rapid-fire daily basis.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry I always said you are watching to much Mannix it has made you to much a detective. You have just solved an almost 50 year old cold case. Here as some school kid I never knew why I never could not see the problems of MIKE SHadows. We had a color set when DS went into color in 67. I remember the curves but my Grandpa and Grandma had a later one which was not curved and Grandma and I would watch Voyage reruns when she got home from work on it. Voyage looked fantastic and Grandma was a Star Trek fan too.Now Harry here is a question for you that no one has answered for me. I swear Star Trek in year 3 all those letters gave it that 3rd season had a different theme song in year 3. True or not true.Scott might be able to help me here.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Finally got my 1897 Flashback DVDs back from my daughter....she's happy with having the complete series that I gave her....so I officially have some DS back in my collection....albeit the Quentin Collins storyline...which was about as wild as DS ever got IMO. :)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Surely not. :)

0scan0002.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry,

Sarah makes more appearances in 1840 and in parallel time. ;) Yeah, I wish. I really missed her after she made her last appearance! And I felt similarly with the final appearance of The Blue Whale.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
"end my torment say the words" YES YES and then a soft yes Harry one of best acted episodes Jonathan ever did. There is yet another coming up soon about Josette. I envy you the treat of viewing these after all these years.

Scott, Sarah had a mention about her death in a scene between Angelique and Barnabas in only one episode in 1840!! Vicky was also mentioned in 1840.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Almost in the 200s. The promo that plays at the end of each DVD mentions a book about what happens in 1 to 210... whoa... all kinds of stuff about to happen I'm sure. Some salt named Jason has shown up and that actor looks very familiar. Intrigued all over the place.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,Jason McGuire (Dennis Patrick) plays his role wonderfully. You are in for a treat! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks