What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Ron Lee Green said:
They got the audio from a fan. Back in the day, before VCRs were a common household tool, people (including myself) use to record their favorite TV shows on hand held audio cassette tape recorders. Just put the microphone near the TV set and press record. That way, they could play back the cassettes and listen to the audio (sort of like radio). I used to do it all the time to Bewitched reruns before I eventually could afford my own VCR.
Thanks, Ron! That's pretty much what I suspected as it sounded like an old cassette recording. I also used to do that with some shows back in the day.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The audio came from a fan which is true. I believe it was recorded on a reel to reel tape recorder. I taped DS on such a recorder when it first aired and that is where the audio came from an original broadcast of the show back in 1971. I have many tapes and the recorder and they still play brand new. The credits are fun to hear. The voice overs i mean as you get in year 1 of DS on DVD.

I taped DS with a cassette recorder when the first half of Barnabas storyline aired in Chicago in 1976. I payed 100 bucks for that recorder in 1974. The show then reaired again just the first year of Barnabas and I taped those. The bad thing about the cassette tapes were they would not last.

If you are a mission impossible fan you can see the recorder I used. The exact recorder was used on Mannix and I even taped an episode from the original broadcast of Mannix with my recorder.

There was a talk about why this episode went missing but I cannot remember what people said. I believe it is in this thread. I really like the episode and how Jim presented it to us. Lara speaking and having the sound and pictures she and Jim created a very special episode for me and all fans.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm in the mid-80s now. No turning back... Still waiting on a "around $300" price at amazon or somewhere else on a real deal set. The more I watch of the knockoff I have, the more I want the real thing so it will last.

I noticed the Revival set has shot up in price. Or seemed to anyway... I paid about $10 for mine. It's near $20 or $25 now. Wonder if there's an oop on it. Glad I got one when I did.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm now up through Episode #1229. I must say I can see why the series was running out of steam. As much as I love Frid, the Bramwell character doesn't do much for me. I'm on the first disc of Collection 26, so the end is in sight!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Amazon's Deal of the Day is... wait for it...

oh you know!! :P And it was $269.99 + tax = $291.59

My CC will hurt a little until I can get that off within the month to avoid interest. I decided against amazon's credit line for a 6 month interest free thing. That's a lot for me, but I'll hold my banker by the hand and let them know it'll be okay...as we shake the dust off my money in there and send it on it's waaaay...

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Radioman970 said:
Amazon's Deal of the Day is... wait for it...

oh you know!! :P And it was $269.99 + tax = $291.59

My CC will hurt a little until I can get that off within the month to avoid interest. I decided against amazon's credit line for a 6 month interest free thing. That's a lot for me, but I'll hold my banker by the hand and let them know it'll be okay...as we shake the dust off my money in there and send it on it's waaaay...
Congrats James, I was just getting on to send you a PM after I got the news of the price reduction from the three camels, but I see you beat me to it. For a while there I was starting to wonder if this Halloween was going to be different with no DS sales. Glad to see it worked out.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, I'm finally hooked.

With my new TV I was given a free year of Netflix and quickly gravitated to the 200 or so episodes they've got up there for streaming. Over the last week or so I've managed to watch from Barnabas' arrival up through Maggie's local hospital disappearance.

What's really impressed me was how quickly I'm able to burn through these. It only takes an hour to get through three episodes. One of my great fears with owning the entire series was when I'd ever manage to watch them, but it's less of a problem than I ever envisioned. Having no commercials to sit through, and not having to wait for the next episode is a real time-saver. All of my prior experiences have been with the series airing on TV and having to wait for their scheduling and presentation.

So, I was going to be content with the episodes on Netflix, but today's deal-of-the-day got me excited about being able to see the series from the beginning. I watched it from the beginning back when ABC aired it, but I recall drifting in and out, particularly in the early-going. I have little knowledge of the early Bill Malloy/Burke Devlin story, but was firmly in place for the Laura Collins storyline. So some of these will be like first run.

I'm looking forward to getting this massive set in the next week or so and starting to dig in - all over again.

DSC02117.JPG

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry you will like how the show used film clips of Newport RI in the first year and the Old House footage. I watched the two movies House and Night of DS yesterday. I also watched part of the Burton film. The last scene with Carolyn was filmed inside of the Cottage. Vicky visits there in one of the filmed episodes that copies the Cottage door and remains the Cottage door through out the entire run of the show.

I love the blu-rays of the two films and it is a shame that Jonathan did not want to do another film. The story would have been how he became a Vampire back in 1795. Love the music from the Burton film as we all here have spoke of.

Harry and James you will also love the interviews that are on the DVD set. You also get with that set all the special DVDs that were original VHS tapes. DS bloopers Best of Barnabas and many more that use clips from the show.

Wonderful for you both and I join with Brad and say enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great price for those of you who have not bought the show and I also see that it is only for today.

I love DS the first year as much as I do the Barnabas years.

Fans that have not done so should sign up here for the very latest and listen to the great interview Katherine just gave.

http://www.kathrynleighscott.com/blog/

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I wish I had a friend I could call and talk about the current episode, like a house wife would have in 1966. It really makes you want to. with internet friends, everybody is in a dif place.

I know had I watched this much when younger, David and his father would have scared the crap out of me. Especially David. I get the feeling I did watch a little here and there. The uneasiness of everything is awesome as an adult, but as a wee one it would have been something altogether different. I actually miss that... wish I could view it with my younger eyes and ears.

I had a funny thought. We know all the crazy goings on with technical problems they had... you see "shadows", movement, hear noises, chattering probably from director to crew and perhaps actors,... You gotta wonder what audiences of the time thought of that. The show itself haunted?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
James & Harry...glad you guys will be getting the entire series set. I started watching with the very first episode and will get to the final episode later this month. It's taken me almost exactly two years to watch it all. I started with several episodes a day, then had to eventually slow down to one per day as other things kept me busy. Even if you just watch one per day you should be able to see it the entire series in about 3.5 years!

BTW, as a HUGE Barnabas fan, I also enjoyed the early episodes. They have a flavor all their own. That said, when Frid does show up then things REALLY get cookin'..enjoy!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would like to suggest to all DS fans "Dead of Night" the Dan Curtis production. The DVD can be picked up for 10 bucks at Amazon and includes a few DC movies of the week. The most important part of the DVD is the bonus feature which includes A Darkness at Blasiedon. ABC wanted a show like Dark Shadows for their prime time schedule. Dan created this pilot for them. I believe Scott has a copy and I think he enjoyed it. I watch it every Halloween.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark Collins said:
I believe Scott has a copy and I think he enjoyed it. I watch it every Halloween.
Mark,Yes, I sure do. I like it, and you're right -- it does make for some wonderful Halloween viewing. For a Dark Shadows fan like myself, it's also great seeing Louis Edmonds and Thayer David in another series together.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dead of Night is on youtube and I was going to watch it that way. But I didn't know there was a DVD with extras like that. I might hold off on the youtube viewing and get the DVD. I still need to get the 2 DS flicks on blu ray. I'll order all that together in a month or 2.

I noticed a double feature release of DoN with Queen of Spades. I wonder if you get the extras with that one too...? Will research that before buying...

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Radioman970 said:
Dead of Night is on youtube and I was going to watch it that way. But I didn't know there was a DVD with extras like that. I might hold off on the youtube viewing and get the DVD. I still need to get the 2 DS flicks on blu ray. I'll order all that together in a month or 2.

I noticed a double feature release of DoN with Queen of Spades. I wonder if you get the extras with that one too...? Will research that before buying...
James, the DVD that Mark mentioned above is of the 1977 TV movie which Dan Curtis produced. The other one (which comes with Queen of Spades) is the classic 1945 film with Michael Redgrave. I highly recommend that one, but it has no connection with Dan Curtis or the 1977 TV movie.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Boy, 108 ends with a bang! and then I see in the menu there is no 109 or 110. Now I see what all the preempted talk is about. whew!

While investigating that, I see that there is a system for knowing what day of the week an episode aired by the ending number.

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Pre-emptions

btw, my official arrived last week. Far better than the fake one. Very relieved to have a quality set since I'll watch it over and over until I'm a ghost somewhere. Quickly has become among my favorite shows ever.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My set just arrived this afternoon, so I'm about to go back in time to June, 1966. I lived up in the suburbs of Philly at the time and our ABC affiliate didn't air whatever was on the network at 4 PM. They relinquished that half-hour and ran the syndicated MERV GRIFFIN SHOW. Fortunately, we had an upstart new UHF station in town on channel 29. Their signal wasn't all that good at our house, so when I watched this new DARK SHADOWS show, it was quite snowy.

Now, I'll finally get to see it clearly.

Harry

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Mark Collins said:
There was a talk about why this episode went missing but I cannot remember what people said. I believe it is in this thread. I really like the episode and how Jim presented it to us. Lara speaking and having the sound and pictures she and Jim created a very special episode for me and all fans.
As I recall, the video tape master went missing, and ABC Stopped making Kinescopes several months before this episode aired.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm getting a kick out of the slates at the start of the early episodes. Also fun is the spoken ABC promotional announcements by Bob Lloyd over the end credits.

I managed to get through episode 4 yesterday, and surprisingly I remember a lot of it. There were certainly memories of most of the first episode, which has made the rounds in one form or another over the years, so seeing Conrad Bain wasn't a surprise. Yet I didn't recall Maggie with the blonde wig.

Other elements that were somewhat surprising included Carolyn gushing over her Uncle Roger like she had a crush on him. Also surprising to me were the remembrances of Victoria Winters' experiences before coming to Collinsport. I hadn't recalled those. Nor did I recall the face of Bill Malloy, or that Carolyn was dating Joe Haskell at this stage. Peeking ahead on the web, I see that I also didn't remember Sam Evans earlier persona as a different actor for a short time.

I DID remember the more frequent use of filmed segments of the actors on location. And I recalled the attempts at making the show a bit spooky with doors that open mysteriously and the frequent thunderstorms.

All in all, I'm having a ball with these and am happy that I finally got them, all in one place, all at the same time, and at an affordable price.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks