What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ockeghem said:
Brian,Okay, thanks. I may have misunderstood. I thought Brad was saying he believed that the menus used for the previous releases were the same used for the new release, not that the menus didn't change every now and then within the sets themselves. I remember how much I loved seeing (and of course hearing the accompanying music to) the opening to The Beginning (blue and grey) series and later when we got to see the movement into the Mausoleum in the 'red' series. How many changes of menu were there in the thirty-two DVD collections? I can think of four, but then again I haven't yet watched all of my DVD collections at this point.
No, you are correct. The menus that were used for all 32 sets (Beginning sets 1-6 and Original sets 1-26) were the same ones used for the coffin release. Now, as to the current releases that MPI is doing (with the new covers), I'm not sure if the menus are the same. I would suspect that they are. And yes, there were a total of four different menus used over the course of the DVD series. Well, five if you count the Collinwood menu twice since they did slightly alter it after a few sets (the episodes list vertically down the left side of the screen versus across the bottom of the screen).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Radioman970 said:
I don't guess they had a studio audience watching. Also, I don't guess the show was broadcast live... in Tootsie, dustin hoffman, they mention having to do one live.
No, the show was never broadcast live. It got close once. As the show got more complicated (plot wise) and more and more special effects were being used, they did get behind in filming. They tried to have at least two weeks worth of shows 'in the can' at any given time. The closest that they got to going 'live' was the one time that there was only one show in the can. For a time they were coming in on the weekends just to try and stay ahead of the broadcast schedule. I believe all of this took place either during the 1968 or 1969 storylines. During that period the show had several rather complicated stories all going at the same time. Once the ghost of Quentin showed up, some of the other storylines were concluded and the show mainly focused on the Quentin story. Sadly, at least for me, I found that having all of those stories going on at the same time really bogged the show down. That and I didn't find any of the stories all that interesting or particularly well written. The show just seemed to have one wheel stuck in the sand. Once the show simplified and focused on one story, it got better. Odd, considering that the 1897 story was just as complicated and had just about as many different plots all running at the same time. Maybe the writing was just better for that particular storyline.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman970 said:
Hey, thanks! I'm on eps 11, I think. #10 was a Friday episode (found using Scott's method above) and ended with Burke showing up at the house. Dealing with all this counterfeit non-sense yesterday I didn't get time to see what happens so I'm on pins and needles. I'm sure when this aired back then people were on the phone talking about might happen next. I'm also interested in what this little kid David is up to. He's snooping around a lot, and very vocal about people. I don't want to know if he does,... but I'm hoping he'll start happening upon things he's not supposed to be finding.
Radioman,Is this the first time you've seen the series? I can't recall. If so, you're in for quite a treat. I love this very early part of the series. Then again, I love all of the pre-Barnabas (or the 'blue' collection as I like to refer to it) episodes. Enjoy your ride! :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I love to hear of a new DS fan. The only time I had this happen was with Star Trek DS9. I had to in the end buy from Amazon. You will find if you do not know this that there are 2 well 3 movies based on the series. House and Night of DS and of course last year the Tim Burton new film.

Enjoy!!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ockeghem said:
I love this very early part of the series. Then again, I love all of the pre-Barnabas (or the 'blue' collection as I like to refer to it) episodes. Enjoy your ride! :)
I understand all the attention the Barnabas character created, but I also have a fondness for that earlier period (blue collection). It was mysterious and gothic with a supernatural element, but not over the top. Don't get me wrong we have been enjoying it all, but that part stands out a bit different for me, in a good way. I enjoyed Elizabeth and Roger having more focus.

We are currently in the parallel time story, and Yeager just kidnapped Maggie. We find the Yeager character to be a little too over the top.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
smithbrad said:
We find the Yeager character to be a little too over the top.
Just a little? I'd say WAY over the top! It took me awhile to warm up to Chris Pennock's acting, but I think he really hits his stride as Gabriel Collins in the 1840 storyline. You'll be getting to it fairly soon, so let us know what you think.

As for what day of the week a particular show aired...I do keep a perpetual calendar handy, just to verify the date shown on the menu with the actual day of that week..comes in handy when they skip a day for whatever reason (holidays, etc.).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yesterday I noticed the corners of the box are starting to tear even though I've been very careful with it (in spite of). I feel bad for those who paid around $250 for this and left great feedback to the sellers. It gives a good first impression. But the substandard aspects come out when your vision isn't clouded by your excitement. last thing I want to do is end up with only this version and the real thing being out of print. Hopefully I can replace this thing by the end of the year. ...thanks again to the thread. I could see me a month down the road, this thing breaking apart, skipping video most likely, and having very bad things to say about MPI.

@Scott. I've known about DS my whole life. I need to ask my mother if she watched it. She was preg w/ me when it first started airing (I was born 12/1966). I think I caught little bits off and on but it was probably too scary for me at the time. It still feels incredibly nostalgic. Like a big long Hammer House movie. Strings you along effortlessly... there's some evil stuff going on in that big box! lol

@Mark. Thanks! I'd seen House of Dark Shadows years back (still have it on tape where I recorded it myself) and loved it! I'd always hoped to start watching the show somehow but the cost always made it out of reach. Not the case anymore. Now, there's also what they call the "revival series". I plan to get all these things as well. I know some of this is on blu. I don't guess MPI will bother with DS on blu... that would be a reason to wait as well. (yeah, DS9 is one I've only seen a few ...excellent... episodes and plan to get the series on blu along with next generation... glad I've been schooled about ebay and knockoffs)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

My youngest sister was also born that year (November 1966). She and I watched the show together in the early 1970s (she was about four or five, and I was about eleven or twelve). Interestingly, our mom introduced the show to both of us.What you say about the cost making the series out of reach for you resonates with me strongly. It took me years to obtain all of the VHS tapes and then the DVDs. Before that, I was renting the tapes from a local video store and making copies for myself on VHS tape. I was a member of the Dark Shadows Fan Club (MPI) and so I received a Collection every other month (six per year). But I was watching them so quickly that I had to purchase them in bulk rather than at the rate at which the Club was sending them to me.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used to be afraid of monster movies. First one I remember seeing was Peter Lorre as half man half raven in The Raven. No telling how young I was. Finally, when I was about 8 mom told me I should watch those old movies, Universal Monsters, AIP stuff, on the late horror show... so I did and never looked back.

It really is a great time for collectors. It does cost a lot but the things we can get now... never would have thought about it years ago. TZ and Trek were about my #1 and #2. Now it's so easy to own those. And it's worth whatever price they are asking even without a sale. DS is exactly the same.

I noticed that walmart allows billmelater. It would be $385 with them (tax!!!). About $65 a month to get it paid in the 6 month period billmelater allows for no interest. Also, there's a seller on ebay who looks to have the real thing at about $370. So I'm debating on those. Leaning towards either walmart or waiting on a sale at amazon and just paying for it right away. I think amazon had it at $270 at one time. So that would be close to $300 w/ tax. that's what I'd really like.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Hey James, I checked and Dark Shadows was going for $280 last October on Amazon. I first bought a few of the collections about three years ago about this time when on sale for $20 a collection. So I'd say hold out through October at least and see hat happens. It has also been priced between $300 and $320 at least six times this year on Amazon. From an Amazon marketplace perspective it has been between $280 and $300 four times in the last few months. I'm thinking you have at least a pretty good shot at hitting around $300 before Halloween.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I believe Brad is right and I would take his advice. Yes both House and Night are on blu-ray.

Glad you brought up the prime time series of the 90s also very good. Scott and I have both. The nice thing about the coffin set is you receive all the bonus dvds that came out which we who bought the series such as Scott and myself bought them as they came out. The set is a really good deal. There is also audio versions on CD that come out on a regular basis. The two CDs i treasure are Return to Collinwood with most of the cast and Jonathan Frids Night Whispers. Check out the Dark Shadows News from our good friend Stuart Manning who reports on these.

Scott i have not received Shadowgram in quite awhile. I wonder if Marcy has given it up.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,

I haven't received a Shadowgram in quite a while either. But then again, I have frequently gone for months without receiving one before.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mark Collins said:
I believe Brad is right and I would take his advice. Yes both House and Night are on blu-ray.

Glad you brought up the prime time series of the 90s also very good. Scott and I have both. The nice thing about the coffin set is you receive all the bonus dvds that came out which we who bought the series such as Scott and myself bought them as they came out. The set is a really good deal. There is also audio versions on CD that come out on a regular basis. The two CDs i treasure are Return to Collinwood with most of the cast and Jonathan Frids Night Whispers. Check out the Dark Shadows News from our good friend Stuart Manning who reports on these.

I wonder if the revival series is in danger of going out of print. I hate to buy it now just to put it away for 3 years. I guess it wouldn't be the only thing I've ever done that with! :D ... :( I mean DVDs and things. Not family member or...anything like that. ... :P

Was just watching the promo on youtube. Looks okay... a shame there aren't more episodes. Is it basically a remake?

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Radioman970 said:
Was just watching the promo on youtube. Looks okay... a shame there aren't more episodes. Is it basically a remake?
The 1991 series is sort of a retelling of the first half or so of House of Dark Shadows and the 1795 storyline from the original series. I thought it was done very well, and was very much in the spirit of the original series, but brought up to date in the setting and given a much more lavish budget. Joanna Going was a revelation as Vicki, and I especially loved Barbara Steele as the Countess Du Pres and Julianna McCarthy as Aunt Abigail in the 1790 scenes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Walmart used to have it for ten bucks I think. Many fans do not like the fact that it is in letter box. Fans when first viewing it also stated when it first aired that they did not like the way they repeated House of DS. The show was suppose to get a second season but there was some deal at NBC. The old fictious rumor that was about the Gulf War was never true. Quentin's story was suppose to be the next told.

I enjoyed it and do have some of the VHS tapes and a bonus tape on the making of the series which was done quite well. I believe Scott received the show as a Christmas present if memory serves.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh man... Steele sounds like an excellent choice for DS. Thanks for the comments. I read that about The Gulf War in an amazon review.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. I'd definitely grab one if I saw it at WM for that price. I noticed it's $14 on walmart.com right now. That's not bad. I definitely want to watch a lot of the series and the 2 original movies before watch the revival. Then, the new film.

Oh! They have an ad for the audio series after the last episodes on each of the first 2 DVDs. When the ad started, the sounds freaked me out for a second because there's a barking dog. I thought it my dog Honey Bun in the other room. My mini-pin laying beside me in the chair perked up too. I wish they'd included some of those on the MPI set like CBS did for TZ. I definitely want those audios. Seems like those would be a blast through headphones in a darkened room.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I wasn't initially thrilled with the 1991 remake of DARK SHADOWS. I watched it, of course, and taped it on VHS. Just the idea of other actors and actresses playing these familiar roles seemed annoying to me.

After about three episodes though, I started to get into it, and to appreciate that these new faces were actually doing a stellar job at both playing familiar characters and yet putting their own stamp on the roles. As mentioned, Joanna Going was superb at playing Victoria Winters, and Jean Simmons just fit the Elizabeth Collins Stoddard role to a "T".

The toughest one for me to accept was Ben Cross as Barnabas, and yet after a time, he too settled in nicely. It's too bad they didn't get to do more of the series than they did.

I bought the DVD of that complete series some time ago and will use it if I need a DARK SHADOWS "fix" that's longer than one of the movies.

Harry

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
Wowee!! So many recent DS posts! Just wanted to add about the 1991 remake. In addition to the DVD set being letterboxed (resulting in cropping), something was missed on the editing and all of the nighttime scenes are shown as they were filmed--in broad daylight! This was not the case on the original TV airing, or on the VHS releases. Finally, I believe there is a bit of missing footage--the VHS has an expanded first episode--I hope I am remembering that correctly. I never noticed it missing, but others have remarked about it. Someone needs to re-release this on DVD with the missing footage, the regular 4:3 aspect ratio, and especially, with the nighttime filter restored!!!

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say enough about Big Finish's audios. They are nothing short of brilliant. What a treat for us longtime fans--to have so many of the original actors doing all new episodes some 40 years later--and stepping back into all their old roles as if no time has passed! Go to www.bigfinish.com to order! I have ALL of them.Are you also reading Lara Parker's wonderful books? And reading Dynamite's new comic series? It's a wonderful time to be a DS fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks