What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland
I've been purchasing my DVDs from Amazon at a savings of 50% off for a while... I have 10 volumes waiting, as I am only on Vol 11 of the series. When I finish these (years from now!!) I will start picking up the first year. I figure I better buy while I can... What if they run out of a volume or two?
Jack,

That's great that you've been able to purchase these at about half price. I've kept in contact with MPI regarding Dark Shadows for a few years now, and thus far, they seem to have restocked all volumes on a fairly regular basis. One of the things I've learned (and this is probably not that big of a deal to most) is that they have run out of a particular packaging, but not the actual DVDs. I've been informed, for example, that the thinner cases are not available for all of the Collections prior to Dark Shadows DVD Collection 10. However, I've been assured that they do have the thin cases for all Collections after Dark Shadows DVD Collection 11. I've returned some of my thicker boxes for the thinner ones, without any problems. {As I said, it's not that big a deal, but to a collector such as myself, I like uniformity if possible.}

I hope you pick up Dark Shadows: The Beginning when all is said and done. As I know you know from previous conversations we've had, these episodes are magical, and well worth having.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
George as usual you have hit a home run!!! Scott I too contacted MPI for the thin case's but I forget what the cost was. I also for year one joined the DS Club and I received the last dvd set # 6 free of charge. I am watching right now the episodes from year 1. I also watch and sort of break rules and skip some episodes but all of them I watch in the current month we are in. So all the the episodes from 1966 thru 1970 are mid September episodes from those years. Never used to skip but when more TV on DVD became available I had to surrender some DS time so I could watch what I was buying. DS did not suffer because it was the only show I had from the first edited Barnabas episode which I think came out late 80s. Enough from me. I wanted to let everyone know the revival series on NBC back in 1991 is at Walmart in the TV section at a very good price. I had taped the series. I decided about 2 years ago to buy it. I must say I did enjoy watching it again and on my blu-ray player it looked fantastic. I know fans were upset that it was widescreen. I just wish the WB would give us the two movies. I am tired of my vhs copies.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Originally Posted by Mark Collins
George as usual you have hit a home run!!! Scott I too contacted MPI for the thin case's but I forget what the cost was. I also for year one joined the DS Club and I received the last dvd set # 6 free of charge. I am watching right now the episodes from year 1. I also watch and sort of break rules and skip some episodes but all of them I watch in the current month we are in. So all the the episodes from 1966 thru 1970 are mid September episodes from those years. Never used to skip but when more TV on DVD became available I had to surrender some DS time so I could watch what I was buying. DS did not suffer because it was the only show I had from the first edited Barnabas episode which I think came out late 80s. Enough from me. I wanted to let everyone know the revival series on NBC back in 1991 is at Walmart in the TV section at a very good price. I had taped the series. I decided about 2 years ago to buy it. I must say I did enjoy watching it again and on my blu-ray player it looked fantastic. I know fans were upset that it was widescreen. I just wish the WB would give us the two movies. I am tired of my vhs copies.

Mark,

I think the thin cases are not all that expensive; however, it's the art work that would suffer, as the 1.5" case art work doesn't fit into the 1" case. BTW, I too was a member of the Dark Shadows DVD Club for a while. Those at MPI were (and continue to be) quite cordial in all of my dealings with them.

I often 'break the rules' as well as far as viewing is concerned, but when I do, I move backward in the series, not forward. Otherwise, my oldest daughter -- the one whom I'm watching the show from the beginning with at present -- would probably be quite miffed.

I too saw that miniseries at Walmart, and as I held it in my hand, I was quite tempted to pick it up. I may still do that soon.

And yes, I want the two films as well. I don't own them on VHS either, which for me is rare considering that I am such a fan of the show.

At this point, we've completed up to episode no. 320. But we will be watching the last half dozen or so episodes again with our younger children before moving on to the next disc.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
I've thought about actually buying the DVDs, and maybe this is the right time, not only because of the price but also because my purchasing of DVD's has dropped to a trickle. I haven't gone Blu yet, and what little I have bought on standard DVD, I've gotten at a great price.

I would also like to see the 2 DS movies come out on DVD as well. I never owned them as I was never much of a VHS collector. I would only buy the second movie if the original cut was included.

I'm waiting for the new disc, but I'll comment on episodes 319 and 320: I had to shake my head when I heard Dave Woodard's "brilliant" idea to catch Maggie's kidnapper - oh this is so not going to work! In all fairness, if they were dealing with just some creep, it might be a good plan, but they don't have a clue what they're up against.

The Blue Whale bartender was really chatty in 319 - that caught me by surprise. He talks! I think the actor should have gotten a credit for this episode. He was certainly more than an extra here, but I guess there are rules that I don't understand about that stuff.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Originally Posted by GeorgeJA
I've thought about actually buying the DVDs, and maybe this is the right time, not only because of the price but also because my purchasing of DVD's has dropped to a trickle. I haven't gone Blu yet, and what little I have bought on standard DVD, I've gotten at a great price.

I would also like to see the 2 DS movies come out on DVD as well. I never owned them as I was never much of a VHS collector. I would only buy the second movie if the original cut was included.

I'm waiting for the new disc, but I'll comment on episodes 319 and 320: I had to shake my head when I heard Dave Woodard's "brilliant" idea to catch Maggie's kidnapper - oh this is so not going to work! In all fairness, if they were dealing with just some creep, it might be a good plan, but they don't have a clue what they're up against.

The Blue Whale bartender was really chatty in 319 - that caught me by surprise. He talks! I think the actor should have gotten a credit for this episode. He was certainly more than an extra here, but I guess there are rules that I don't understand about that stuff.

George,

I've thought often which show in its entirety would I choose to bring to the 'desert island' for all time. I have, over the years, narrowed it down to two: Dark Shadows and the original Star Trek.

Yeah, that idea of Woodard's isn't too bad, but as you know, the way it turns out is not too keen for a particularly suspicious character (or perhaps I should say scapegoat).

When Bob started talking to Sam at the Blue Whale, my daughter said that it was his shining moment. I agree that he ought to have been credited. Have you ever thought of how difficult it would be for a non-insider to track down all of the real names of all of the extras you often see at the Blue Whale? Yowza.

We're up to #321 now. More Sarah, and more mystery. And more later.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Scott,

Here's a suggestion for a theme night: when you get to DS' parallel time storyline, start it off by viewing Star Trek's "Mirror Mirror" episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by GeorgeJA
Scott,

Here's a suggestion for a theme night: when you get to DS' parallel time storyline, start it off by viewing Star Trek's "Mirror Mirror" episode.
George,

Nice theme! Of course, it will be quite some time before I get to parallel time in Dark Shadows. But I will consider it once I am there.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott and George could not sleep so I went thumbing through my DS books. I could not believe my eyes. Names for all the Blue Whale Customers and Collinsport Inn and the Bangor Pine Hotel. Quite a few were listed twice in quite an episode span. What I mean is one actor appeared in ep 20 and not again unitil ep 90. I also forgot about the DS audio dramas. I have Return to Collinwood and the first 4 or 5 after. Since that time they have produced many many more and some up for pre order. Jonathan Frid was to be out in a new audio drama as Barnabas this year. I found out the CD has been out since June!!! I quickly ordered mine. http://www.bigfinish.com I also found you can go to Amazon as well or even ebay. I enjoyed Return to Collinwood because many cast members were involved. I ordered "Return to Collinwood" the making of a ledgend CD . The CD'S are around 14.95 plus shipping. I just had to jump on and post about those actors names. The book the actors are listed in "Dark Shadows the First Year" published in 2006 not the one which came out in 1987. Yes Scott DS would be my one and only TV choice for Desert Island.

Thankyou Scott and George for what you are doing here. You guys make me smile.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here are the names guys
Michael Ann Inn customer ep 49
Walter Arnold BW customer ep 85
Diane Ball BW customer ep 42,89
Dodie Bauer Bangor hotel ep 42
Robert Bonds BW customer ep 94-137 and1967
Audrey Campbell BW customer ep 102 and 103 and 1967
Raymond Carlson BW customer ep 166 and 1967 and Alden Wicks 1970PT
Richard Cook BW customer ep 78
Carol Crist Inn waitress ep 71-91 could she be Susie??
Steve Dawson BW customer ep 166
Frank Downing Bangor Hotel customer ep 92
Willis Downsing BW Bartender ep 104
Elizabeth Earl BW customer ep 3
Lenore Ellin BW customer ep 33-202 Bangor Hotel ep 94,95 and 1967
Andrew Elliott Inn customer ep 38
Alan Feinstein Mike ep 2
Fred Forrest BW customer ep 137 and 1967
Millicent France BW customer ep 207
William Gish BW customer ep 102,103
George Goff Bangor Hotel customer ep 92-95
Jeff Gold BW customer ep 33,34
Tim Gordon Inn customer ep 24; BW customer ep 43,193;Hand Of Barnabas ep 210
Tom Gorman BW customer 166-207
Sara Harte Bangor Hotel customer ep 92
Herb Holcombe Cannery employee ep 89
Barbara Hollis BW customer ep 166 and 1967
Liz Ingleson Inn Customer ep 24
Charles James Bangor Hotel customer ep 42
Paul Jenkins BW customer ep 202 and 1967
Page Jones Inn cusotmer ep 133
Jeanne Kaplan BW customer ep 94
Russ Karsen BW customer ep 63,64
Harvey Keitel BW customer ep 33,34
Colleen Kelly Suise Waitress ep 22-40
Judd Laurence BW customer ep 3
Ann Leeman BW customer ep 63-65
Allan Lindstrom BW customer ep 63-65
Pat Lysinger BW customer ep 102,103
Michele Mantvidas BW customer ep 207
Richard Marr Bangor Hotel customer ep 94,95
Leo Marrell Cannery employee ep 89
George McCoy BW customer ep 63-207 and 1967 and Eagle customer 1795
Pat McNamara Inn customer ep 24
Maryann Merrick BW customer ep 3
Tom Mixon BW customer ep 78,93
Tom Murphy Chauffeur ep 1; Roger stand in ep 87; BW customer ep 102,103 and 1967 and deputy 1968
Bob O'Connell BLUE WHALE BARTENDER Andy, Mike, or Bob ep 1-207 and 1967 and Mr Moone 1795 and 1897 and 1970
Jack Pickett Bangor Hotel customer ep 42
Beverly Pixon BW cusotmer ep 137
Kathleen Quint BW customer ep 63,64 and 1967 and hand of Caroyln
Diann Redford BW customer ep 78
Frank Reich BW customer ep 199
Douglas Reid Inn customer ep 83 and BW customer 1967
Ann Ruggiero BW customer ep 199
John Servetnik Cannery employee ep 89
Neil Sigan Bangor Hotel customer ep 42
Al Smith BW customer ep 3
Ray Stewart Bangor Hotel customer ep 42
Larry Swanson BW customer ep 43
Margo Racey Bangor Hotel customer ep 42
Ted Tinling Inn customer ep 49
Scott Upright BW customer ep 207 and 1967 and a spectator 1795
actor 1795
Barabara Young BW customer ep 94

From DS Almanac
Andrew Amic-Angelo BW customer 1967
Joann Bayes BW customer 1967
Dan Bishop BW customer 1967
Marilyn Bradley BW customer 1967
Ricard Coate BW customer 1966-1967
Steve Dawson BW customer 1967
Alfred Dillay 1967 stand in for Barnabas
Beverly Dixon BW customer 1967
Christine Domaniecki Bar Maid 1840
Lynn Dovel BW customer 1967
John Felton BW customer 1967
Anthony Goodstone BW customer 1967
Tom Gorman BW customer 18 eps 1967 and Mr Prescot in 1795 BW bartender 1967-1968
Jay Gregory BW customer 1967
Pat House BW customer 1967
Bill Jamesend BW customer 1967
Carol Lewis bar maid 1968
Bennett Lubin BW customer 1967
Tom Mastors BW customer 1967
Harry Miller BW customer 1967
Joy Nicholson BW customer 1967 and a Widow
Norman Parker Headless body
Wendy Parker BW customer 1967
Woody Paker BW customer 1967
Mary Sheilds BW customer 1967
Jessica Stewart BW customer 1967
Ingrid Swenson BW customer 1967
Paul Trahan BW customer 1967
Gwen Van Dam BW customer 1967 and Secretary to Miss Hopewell 1966

Gosh what a cast of extras!!!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,

Wow, thanks for all of your work in the above couple of posts. That's much appreciated. I own the books that you speak of, so I have those cast names as well. But I was just speculating on the work that would have to go into it from scratch, if you didn't really have a good starting point or any references. Nice work!

I've checked out a couple of those audio dramas thus far. I plan on getting them all one day. Thanks also for the link.

George (and Mark, if you're at this point in the series),

Over the weekend, we watched episodes 322-340 -- yes, quite a lot of viewing! There is a ton to talk about, but before I do this, I wanted to alert you to a small item that you might miss if you're not careful. At the conclusion of episode no. 336 and before episode no. 337 (Dark Shadows DVD Collection 4, Disc 1), there is a promotional (b&w) spot for the 1795 storyline. The narrator informs the viewer that "This Friday...", something significant is going to happen. The promotional spot probably aired during the week that they actually went to that storyline (the seance which brings about Phyllis Wick's appearance and Victoria's movement back in time). The reason I am bringing it to your attention is because if you hit 'chapter skip' during the concluding credits for #336 and go into the opening voiceover for #337, this promotional spot will be missed. But if you let the credits roll naturally, you will be able to see and hear it before the next episode begins.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
George and Mark,

You would have loved to have seen the anticipation on our daughters' faces the other night when I stopped at episode #340. (This is when Dr. Hoffman is in Dr. Woodard's office, and she is trying to reason with him to be very careful with regard to what he knows.) Our kids wanted me to put the next episode on right then and there, but it was getting a bit too late for them. Anyway, they eventually got to see the next two episodes the following evening, and they loved them. And even though I had seen them already, I continue to find that these storylines never get old, even after multiple viewings. There will be more viewing this weekend.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott fantastic!!! The memory of that particular episode and the kinescope episode to come happen to be one of my all time favorites and least favorite on DS. You and George know with me you always get a trip down memory lane when Dark Shadows is involved. 1976 Dark Shadows was released into syndication to the major cities. The showed aired in Chicago at 11:00 PM. I was in college at the time working full time and taking a full course load. I stayed up though and watched it with my trusty cassett recorder. I had advanced from the kid with his reel to reel recorder when the show first aired. The TV station did lots of promo's for the show using a clip from the highest rated episode of DS Barnabas retruns in 1897. The show started as MPI did with the Barnabas episodes not edited though. I lost a lot of sleep but man I was having fun. We proceeded to Dave's office and Julia's plea. The memorable line que comes "think of it as a dream" I won't finish the line. The episode finish comes soon after. The next night the show is off the air!!! I could not believe it. I guess that was all they had plan to syndicate. Now flash forward maybe 5 years later. The show comes back again but airs in Madison Wisconsin. I was close enough so with a rigged up roof top antenna I was able to bring it in. The episode returns with Julia and Dave. I hold my breath with Julia in Dave's office. The next day I saw the next show. The station had bought more epiosdes only the first year though. Flash forward again NJN begins to air DS and the rest is history. Yes and by the way I too will watch an episode over again. Scott cannot wait to hear what you your daughters and George will think in the episodes to come. Keep writing Guys!!!

Str8Ballin1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mister Cee
Hi. Before I talk about Dark Shadows let me complain about not being able to talk about Dark Shadows. Like I mentioned in my previous post I mostly only signed up to discuss Dark Shadows. Strangely though that right after that first post I could not reply to anything at all on any of these forums. I was signed in but there was NO reply button at the end of any of the posts! I tried signing out and back in again, still no luck. I finally tried to write to the website directly but I never heard anything back. So, I finally gave up and made a new account. This one seems to be working.

Anyway, Ive been watching volumes 1 and 2 of the Barnabas episodes now. I had previously only seen these episodes but now after watching all of The Beginning episodes I have a better understanding of whats happening and why in these subsequent episodes. I have to once again repeat that Laura was my favorite character pre-Barnabas. I now must say that Elizabeth is my most disliked character. She is terrible. She bores me to death. I think thats one of the pluses of Laura being around.... that she treated Elizabeth terribly and then sent her away permanently. Does anyone else not like Elizabeth? I mean, seriously, she has the emotional range of a mannequin. Also, regarding the Phoenix storyline... isnt David a phoenix too?

Does anyone besides me notice the gay subtext between Jason and Willie? [And to a lesser extent Barnabas and Willie? At first anyway.] I mention this because its most evident right before Willie leaves Collinwood. He and Jason are always arguing about the fact that Willie must leave Collinwood and then suddenly Willie agrees to leave, just like that. Jason is surprised and says something like.... I thought youd be angrier.... and when Willie asks why then Jason says.... because we are breaking up. But it doesnt stop there! Then when Burke first meets Barnabas he asks about Willie. And when he does Barnabas refers to Willie as 'my man'. Strange.

I am up to episode 280. Time for another seance!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched a few more episodes over the weekend, and are now up to episode #349. We've just completed the episode where Barnabas begins to feel the effects of the sped-up timeline with regard to his treatments from Dr. Hoffman. And speaking of Dr. Hoffman, her emotions are becoming quite intense these last few episodes (especially toward Victoria, for obvious reasons, given that Julia now knows the full intent of Barnabas toward his new 'Josette'). And as we know (or will find out), she tried to warn him what might happen due to the acceleration, but he didn't listen.

The special feature for Dark Shadows DVD Collection 4 (Disc 2) is very informative. It is on Dick Smith, one of the make-up gurus for the show. He describes (and shows, in many interesting stills) the aging process of Barnabas and the work that went into achieving this wonderful effect. He also comments on the actor (Frid) while he was going through the make-up sessions, saying some positive things about him. It's well worth the time to watch, if you haven't seen this yet.

David's acting was really very different in the episode just prior to Burke leaving for South America. He was IMO quite good before this, but his range was expanded when he finally resigned himself to the possibility that very few people believe what he has to say any longer. (And then, to our surprise, Carolynn does begin to believe him, right after she sees Sarah for the first time.) Still, it doesn't seem to matter to David any longer whether anyone believes him or not, and quite frankly, who can blame him for this change of attitude? His change of attitude was conveyed very well on-screen, and the contrast between his acting prior to this and now was riveting. {N.B.: It probably did not hurt my appreciation for David's acting that this particular episode was a kinescope.}

As for Elizabeth Stoddard, I like her just fine, both in her delivery and in the scripts written for her. Then again, I am a fan of Joan Bennett from days gone by, and I appreciate her work and treasure her on-screen time in Dark Shadows. I'm usually paying close attention to any dialogue that directly relates to Victoria, as this relationship -- that of Victoria actually being her daughter, which of course we don't know while watching the show but can deduce from some of the lines that are spoken by both and now know from the will having been read many years later -- interests me a great deal. But I don't find Elizabeth boring at all. In fact, I don't find any character in all of Dark Shadows to bore me at all to this point. That may change in latter seasons, but thus far none have left this impression on me. But it's not surprising that impressions and perceptions with regard to various characters would be markedly different.

I found it quite interesting to learn that some of the characters (and not others) are now hearing Sarah's music in the episodes. This was a wonderful touch, as before this it was primarily meant for the viewer, and it worked very well as a leitmotiv. But now, actual characters are hearing the melody when she appears and disappears, while others are not hearing it. I also appreciated hearing the different recordings that are being used in one and the same episode to distinguish between the music used that can be heard by some of the cast and the music used as part of the music cues, which is heard only by the viewer. Very nice!

I thought Willie agreeing to leave Collinwood abruptly had mostly to do with the possibility that he was at that point now under the power of Barnabas. The transformation of Willie was meant to be abrupt, and was IMO done very well. It drew the lines of distinction between 'pre-Barnabas Willie' and 'now I work for Barnabas Willie' quite nicely. So for me, Willie's drastic change was a deliberate line of demarcation that was intended to jolt the viewer as it did (at least in my case) very effectively. And it also had the added benefit of having jolted Jason's curiosity -- to the point that he could not accept this at face value, so he had to investigate it further. And, thankfully, his curiosity (or non-belief with regard to this drastic change in Willie) eventually led to one of the most chilling scenes in the series thus far. Just my two cents on that, anyway.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So much info to digest! I love the conversation on Joan Bennett!!! I wrote her a fan letter as a kid. I loved her on the show. She and Jonathan were the only actors I did write to on the show. I guess that show's how much I liked her. Jonathan I wrote twice when he first started on the show. He answered both with a picture on the Collinwood staircase. Miss Bennett wrote back to me and sent a picture of herself. You see she even wrote my address on the envelope. I remember my family telling me I should be honored. My Grandmother and my Mother told me what a major movie star she was. Just like all DS fans I then looked for her movies on the Late Late Show. I believe Diana Millay said that Joan was very kind to her when she played Laura on the show . Joan would include Diana at dinner parties I believe. I loved the Laura character and being a fan of DS before Barnabas made me really love Joan. I thought the Jason Liz storyline was fantastic!!! I thought she had great range. I was very glad when MPI restored the storyline from the edited out copies of the first DS release. Jason and Willie Scott really stated my thoughts exactly.

I have to comment on Josette's music. The Ghost of Josette Music Cue's I always loved. 1968 they gave the music to Angelique when she was a vampire. 1969 they gave the music to the Ghost of Beth. I bring all this up because of what Scott said about Sarah's music. 1969 DS episode has Chris Jennings informing Barnabas about Beth's Ghost in the Cottage. He state's to Barnabas that there was this strange music playing when he saw the woman!!! I had never heard a Dark Shadows character refer directly to the background score before. I do not think it ever happened again.

Yesterday I received the Dark Shadows audio The Night Whispers which star's Jonathan Frid again as Barnabas and John Karlen as Willie. I played the cd last night. The CD is a must have for any Dark Shadows fan!!! I could write for hours about it. DS Fans buy it!!! I will not state anything more about it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,

Great thoughts, as usual. You're speaking of Beth Chavez, yes?

"He state's to Barnabas that there was this strange music playing when he saw the woman!!! I had never heard a Dark Shadows character refer directly to the background score before. I do not think it ever happened again."

This is quite interesting. I never picked up on this before, but then again, that part of the Dark Shadows saga is a bit fuzzy to me, as I have not seen it for quite some time. But if I keep watching, I will eventually get to see it again. And when I do, I will look for this. Thanks for bringing it up, Mark.

You've probably already read the post of mine regarding which actors from the show whom I have written to, but I'll repeat it here. I wrote to Katherine L. Scott within the past two years, and she responded within a few days. She sent me a letter, and of course I treasure it. I thanked her for her work on Dark Shadows, and I also told her that I had been a fan of the show for over forty years. She was very gracious in her reply.

Str8Ballin1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mister Cee
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
David's acting was really very different in the episode just prior to Burke leaving for South America. He was IMO quite good before this, but his range was expanded when he finally resigned himself to the possibility that very few people believe what he has to say any longer. (And then, to our surprise, Carolynn does begin to believe him, right after she sees Sarah for the first time.) Still, it doesn't seem to matter to David any longer whether anyone believes him or not, and quite frankly, who can blame him for this change of attitude? His change of attitude was conveyed very well on-screen, and the contrast between his acting prior to this and now was riveting. {N.B.: It probably did not hurt my appreciation for David's acting that this particular episode was a kinescope.}

I thought Willie agreeing to leave Collinwood abruptly had mostly to do with the possibility that he was at that point now under the power of Barnabas. The transformation of Willie was meant to be abrupt, and was IMO done very well. It drew the lines of distinction between 'pre-Barnabas Willie' and 'now I work for Barnabas Willie' quite nicely. So for me, Willie's drastic change was a deliberate line of demarcation that was intended to jolt the viewer as it did (at least in my case) very effectively. And it also had the added benefit of having jolted Jason's curiosity -- to the point that he could not accept this at face value, so he had to investigate it further. And, thankfully, his curiosity (or non-belief with regard to this drastic change in Willie) eventually led to one of the most chilling scenes in the series thus far. Just my two cents on that, anyway.
You know I think they should have had David burn to death with his mother. He is simply too annoying for me and that was a perfect way to write him out of the series.

It wasnt just the episode where Willie leaves Collinwood that made me feel he and Jason were more than just friends. Sometimes when Willie would ask for money and Jason would yell at him. Willie would then turn away and seem more hurt than angry. The episode when Willie finally leaves just sort of validated my suspicions because they used the actual terminology associated with being in a romantic relationship. Like I said before Jason says.... "We're breaking up." .... and then Barnabas refers to Willie as ...."My man." Now I know the part about breaking up could be because they think of themselves as a team but the other part with Barnabas....

Now on to episode 274. At the very end Jason breaks into the old house to steal the jewels. I love how Jason simply breaks through THE FRONT WINDOW! Also, its funny how the gift box is still sitting on the end-table! But then at the start of the next episode its gone. Before Jason went to the old house I thought Willie was going to set him up because he knew too much but obviously that wasnt the case at all.

On to the costume party/seance 280/281. Man, that was a boring party! Barnabas is a weird dude. One minute hes acting quite intelligent and re-fined, asking Roger if he would like a drink, then the next hes screaming like a little 5 years old child. [When Carolyn said Josette and Jeremiah were madly in love. He just abrubtly screams out from across the room.... "THATS NOT TRUE!" ] Plus, his reaction when asked by Vickie if Burke/Jeremiah looked handsome he slowly mutters... "Yes." .... while looking towards the floor. But you gotta love the way he ended the seance by jumping across the table yelling.... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott yes Beth and I remember the episode. Kinescope and Beth leads Chris to the grave of the baby boy some where in the woods. Scott I must tell you something. I listened to the new Jonathan Frid CD again last night. I may listen for a 3rd night in a row tonight!!! I think I am going to write Jonathan another fan letter. How wild is that!!!! I shall have to say Mr Frid the last time I wrote you was in 1967. I hope Mr Frid you do not mind another letter from me. Jonathan's cadence is such a great fit for this new audio Dark Shadows. You can tell he is enjoying himself too. The drama is so well written. Just like the show was.

Dallas the 14 season coming in January reminded me of DS in audio form. I know here Mark goes again down memory lane. I had reel to reel tapes as you know of DS. I also recorded the various release's of the show on cassett tapes. My reel to reel tapes to this day still hold up. I first began recording in the 1795 storyline. The family bought me a much better recorder in 1968 for my birthday. I only kept my favorite episode's the rest were recorded over. Like with the movie "Laura" and The "7 Year Itch" my desert island movies. Gone With Wind ranks somewhere in there too. So because of my DS audio tapes DS has never left me. Fridays nights after Dallas I would play DS in audio form. I would do this every Friday until summer and then give DS a rest. Man those were magic times for me. Do not get me wrong. Life is good now and I love my DS video collection. Hearing Jonathan again makes me feel young again.

I have to beg Mister Cee for not being polite and say Welcome to this Thread as Scott and George did. I also got a kick out of the comments Mister Cee made on the seance episode's. I recorded those episode's on cassett during a DS syndicated broadcast. I loved those episode's. I am sitting one Friday night listening and the darn thing gets screwed up in the player. The player chews tape and I am screaming. I had a very good friend who knew about my in his words werid preocupation with DS. He was a genius at fixing what just had happened to me. He salvaged what he could of the episode's. So until the video release I only had parts of the seance.

Scott and George you both did such a great job on that episode I will not say more about them. I will say the party episode's and the episode's leading up to it are rank as some of the best of the show. I loved Jason and Willie. The writers out did them selves when they wrote a scene with those two. The episode where Jason tell's Willie he may be headed to Texas I just love. Jason landed exactly there and a suspect in Who Shot JR. Like all DS fans I wanted to see more of him in Dallas. Scott I still think you said it best when describing Jason and Willie. I am not fool enough to comment more.

I must always end my post with this. Scott and George look forward to the next episode!!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I checked out the 2-CD set of audio dramas (Return To Collinwood) over at MPI. I am impressed at how many of the show's regulars return to do the voice work for these dramas. I will be picking these up for certain.

I also see that they have a few more DVD collections (these are listed at the conclusion of the Original Series [nos. 1-26] and The Beginning [nos. 1-6] sets, on page two). I think I have most of this DVD material already, but I don't currently own any of the audio dramas.

Dark Shadows: The Curse of the Vampire (DVD)

Dark Shadows: The Haunting of Collinwood (DVD)

http://www.mpihomevideo.com/Store/?page=2&Filter=genre&Value=DARKSHADOW

We're now up through episode nos. 349-350. [COLOR= #181818]These episodes are centered around Barnabas' aging to approximately 175 years as his insistance on speeding up Dr. Hoffman's experiment goes awry. The conclusion of #350 was IMO too scary to show to our youngest daughter, so I hit the pause button at that point. Carolynn sure does have an effectively frightening scream![/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks