What's new

Ocean's Twelve SE on the way (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
So Warner were double dipping after all. Shame of you copying Fox. May also explain why this is now widely available in UK for only GBP5 (around USD9), trying to ditch existing stock.

The BBFC have started to list extras for a forthcoming SE.
So far
14/10/2005 Warner Home Video Ltd 26m 35s No OCEAN'S TWELVE (Deleted Scenes)
00:03:29:11 OCEAN'S TWELVE
00:00:55:08 UNTITLED
00:00:55:12 UNTITLED
00:00:44:24 UNTITLED
00:02:09:05 UNTITLED
00:01:40:11 UNTITLED
00:00:37:24 UNTITLED
00:01:25:15 UNTITLED
00:00:45:01 UNTITLED
00:00:20:01 UNTITLED
00:05:21:11 UNTITLED
00:00:28:21 UNTITLED
00:00:34:07 UNTITLED
00:00:32:04 UNTITLED
00:00:38:09 UNTITLED
00:00:20:11 UNTITLED
00:04:50:20 UNTITLED
00:00:45:14 UNTITLED

14/10/2005 Warner Home Video Ltd 13m 0s No TWELVE IS THE NEW ELEVEN - THE MAKING OF OCEAN'S TWELVE

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
So far it's the same stuff that Warner released on the French 2-discer. I'm glad I waited, IMHO the film certainly isn't good enough to double-dip on. But I still wanna have it, particularly as a Bruce Willis
completist.

Chris

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Not surprising, as the original disc was barebones. And it's a Steven Soderbergh film. Hopefully he's recorded a commentary or two. Glad I held out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am surprised here too.

Easily, Oceans Twelve was amongst the
worst films I have seen in the past two years.

Judging from feedback on this forum at the
time of its DVD release, I'd say my opinion
is not in the minority.

Why is Warner even wasting their time with this?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I could see this if it was a set with the first film, which IIRC was also skimpy on the extras campared to other Soderbergh films. On it's own, I'll ignore it.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I was a HUGE fan of the first film, but I wouldn't watch 12 again for any reason, ever. I honestly cannot believe it cost, or made, as much as it did.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I thought this was much better than Ocean's Eleven (which I really liked), and many of my friends who I saw it with agreed with me. I thought the cinematography was excellent and loved the dance sequence with Vincent Cassel. Though I love the film, I held off on the original release, due to lack of bonus features. I've been waiting anxiously for this and will be excitedly picking it up.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It tried to up the previous one and failed miserably, serving only to remind you how all around more inspired and original the first one was(which I loved). This one goes to ridiculous methods to confuse and trick the audience, which is nearly insulting instead of interesting or charming. I don't know anyone who did enjoy this tepid outing.

Yes, everyone involved with the making had fun. But it seemed like they were more interested in doing that than making a fun, yet quality movie like the previous one.

The worst part?
The Julia Roberts playing "herself" is the most ridiculous movie contrivance in film history.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Well, I think it's just as simple as Warner's thinking they can make some money off it (star power, known director, etc.).

I must say I've been surprised at the amount of vitriol this film has received from HTF members, but I suppose that's what different taste is all about. I quite enjoyed it, but I just took it for the experimental fluff it is. Yep, it's mostly about the cast and crew having fun and not really caring about whether the audience is along for the ride. I thought the sense of fun came through and pulled me along with it.

As for the "worst part" Kain_C mentioned, my guess is that the acceptance level for it is partly dependant on your feelings towards the actress (she doesn't provoke a strong reaction for me either way) as well as how much you've bought into that sense of fun they are having making the film.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The movie was bad enough but when it got to what Kain_C mentioned I nearly turned it off in disgust. The movie fell at that point and never recovered.

Soderbergh seems to adore Roberts after BROCKOVITCH and this seemed to me to more Robert's Worship and it completely turned me off.

Anyone know how well the original DVD sold? Does it warrent a new SE?

-paul

Joel C

Screenwriter
I mostly hated the movie because, once you get to the end, you find out there WAS no movie, and not in the fun, Usual Suspects way. I'm talking the Monster A-Go-G0 way ("There was no monster...").

There's watching actors have fun onscreen (O11), then there's watching actors' (and a director's) sheer indifference to an audience, bordering on outright disdain. I felt like I was supposed to love the film because of all the pretty people in it, and not because they were playing characters, acting out a story (which didn't exist).

Yeah, it tried to be fun, but seeing Clooney and Pitt giggling at each other for two hours doesn't fit the bill for most people. What a misfire.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
What's up with the SE -- is it coming to R1?

And yes, like Vincent I liked Twelve much, much more than Eleven.

Ted

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got around to seeing Twelve recently with my wife after being put off of the movie by the general reaction on this forum. However, we found that we very much enjoyed the whole thing...we never did like Eleven...it seemed too slick for its own good and i found the entire experience quite boring to watch. With Twelve, I had a heck of a good time and found myself laughing at the humor sprinkled liberally throughout the film. As Ted said, it is much more an art house film which should really be no surprise to Soderbergh fans...he's nothing if not experimental...but then, what do I know, I loved Solaris too;)

Unfortunately, I just ordered a used copy of Twelve before encountering this old thread...ahh well don't really see a need to upgrade on this one since I got it for a pretty good price.

Michael

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Thought this was miles above O11, a enjoyable but non-groundbreaking "friday night" picture. For me O11 was just Soderbergh raising money for Solaris and COnfessions. O12 is much more than just raising money for Syriana and Good German, although that is part of why it exists.

Ocean's 12 is the closest thing I've seen to a true French New Wave film since the New Wave (creative, flashy direction, disdain for standards, actors and director having a good time, "loose," non story-based construction). HTF's reacton reminds me of the reviews when Breathless came out. It's all about expectations. I suggest watching it, hating it (this is expected and basically unavoidable, given the marketing angle and resulting expectations), and watching it again in a different frame of mind. It is impossible to like the film as a "hollywood caper flick," because in my mind it isn't, but rather a film emulating the spirit of one of the most influential periods in cinema history.

Regards,
Nathan

Joel C

Screenwriter
Nathan, I'm glad you like the movie, and you are entitled to your opinion, but... don't you think you are giving it a little too much credit? Breathless isn't traditional, no, but it breathes with real life and vitality. O12 is just, to me, bloated and lazy. I certainly didn't dislike it because it was too "arty" or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks